The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7220
I dont think I can handle any more of the same xmas songs! Why can't we play more than one cd!

The last couple of days its been alot quieter than I expected, but I get the feeling that the next couple of days will be a nightmare!
Totally rubbish shifts for xmas I got, in christmas eve, boxing day the next day, new years eve then nightshift on new years day. Then the next week a wee rubbish 4 hour shift mid week. Its been really quiet in our store too, and getting lots of people looking for the Turkey deal we had on now even though it ended a week ago.
Did a 10 hour shift last night, got another tonight. -___-
Then I'm working Christmas Eve, 12-8pm.
Then Boxing Day night shift. ><
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
Do we get paid any extra for working New Years day or not??
Going back to work as I've come home from uni.
Worked on checkouts for 2 years, but doing clothing this time round, how is clothing??What do you mainly do? Is it better or worse than checkouts? xx

I've done a couple of shifts on clothing. It's so much better than checkouts. Mainly because there is more variety. You work on the shop floor tidying and restocking as well as working on the tills where you do refunds, exchanges, etc rather than just putting items through. It's fun :smile:
Reply 7224
What a surprise - rejected again

I give up now. 1st Class xxxxxx degree and I can't even stack xxxxxx shelves in an xxxxx supermarket.
If you can't get in because of the snow do you phone the sick line or phone directly to the department (I already have the office number)?
Reply 7226
Original post by Smidster

I give up now. 1st Class xxxxxx degree and I can't even stack xxxxxx shelves in an xxxxx supermarket.

If you're so good that you've got a "1st Class xxxxxx degree", why do you want to "stack xxxxxx shelves"?
Reply 7227

With that sort of attitude, it's probably best you didn't get the job.
Original post by inksplodge
you get paid bank holiday premium for working new years day

Woo hoo, not too annoyed that I'm doing 8 hours then :smile:)

Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
I've done a couple of shifts on clothing. It's so much better than checkouts. Mainly because there is more variety. You work on the shop floor tidying and restocking as well as working on the tills where you do refunds, exchanges, etc rather than just putting items through. It's fun :smile:

That sounds good then :smile: I look forward to it, except from when I'm tired & could do with just sitting on a chair just scanning things through, haha.
Reply 7229
Original post by FXX
With that sort of attitude, it's probably best you didn't get the job.

With all due respect you haven't spent the last 6 months getting rejected time and time and time again. It really does get to you after a while!

Taurus - Because there is so little out there at the moment and I am just desperate to do something. The sight of the same 4 walls day after day after day and that feeling of utter worthlessness is so draining.
Reply 7230
Stupid question... but how do i apply at Sainsburys? Is it just a case of taking a CV instore? Or will i need any more materials.

Cheers.
It's rant time.

Yesterday I was on the Kiosk for 20 minutes covering somebody on their break. Now I don't really like the Kiosk to be perfectly honest. We're stuck at the front door so it's constantly freezing and I hate getting given a £20 note for something that costs 50p.

Anyway, a woman came up to me and asked for 20 of our cheapest cigarettes. I managed to eventually find them then she asked for a paper and lottery and gave me a handful of small change that I had to count up which took ages.
While doing so and not actually making the first sale she starts rhyming off what she wants next so I assume she's wanting it all paid in one.
(NB: For those who don't work in Kiosk, it's fairly common for people to list off what they want one by one and pay for it all at the end)

She then says shes wanting 10 of the cheapest and pays that with a £20, telling me she wants that paid seperately. At this point I am nearly going crackers. I put the first sale through and give her the 10 cheapest ones. She gives me the £20 note and as I am putting it in the till she says: "Oh do you not have the big ones?" I lose the plot. I was told by a fellow colleague she is a problem customer who always does this sort of thing.

I absolutely hate awkward customers like that. Another one was somebody who asked for 4 lucky dips for Saturday - no problem. I give her the ticket then she says "Oh I want them on seperate tickets" Why don't you tell me that in the first place how am I meant to know?

We have an older customer who buys everything for like 23p and then totals it up in her head before she gets to the till and when it's even just 7p more than she expects it to be she complains and takes everything out at an empty till and adds it all up again, then goes to the CSD and complains. I've had her come through my till once when I just started and didn't know about her antics. She said so and so should be 27p instead of 32p and I just said no it isn't however you can go to the CSD to take the matter futher.

Then you get the most lovely and friendly customers you will ever meet. Ones who wish you a Merry Christmas and are genuinely grateful for you helping pack their stuff. Sadly it's the annoying ones that you remember in this job.

Working over 30 hours this week yet again. With a bad cold I'm not really too keen but I need the money in order to run my car. I'm refusing to work xmas eve/boxing day as there's simply no incentive. If it was time and a half then aye but what's the point in working arguably the busiest days of the year for the same rate of pay we're currently getting? Makes no sense to me.

Rant over.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7232
Original post by Swell
Stupid question... but how do i apply at Sainsburys? Is it just a case of taking a CV instore? Or will i need any more materials.

Cheers.

It is an on-line system.

Towards the bottom of the main page there is a link to 'Recruitment' where you can search for positions in your area
Reply 7233
It is an on-line system.

Towards the bottom of the main page there is a link to 'Recruitment' where you can search for positions in your area

Sorry I should have pointed out, i'm just wanting Part Time employment and theres never anything that relates to it on there.
Original post by Swell
Sorry I should have pointed out, i'm just wanting Part Time employment and theres never anything that relates to it on there.

All jobs are advertised and recruited through the website. From part time general assistants to more senior, full time roles.

Keep checking. Jobs are usually only on there for a few days. :smile:
woo i have got my first job!
what do you have to for the induction days?
Original post by bananaterracottapie
woo i have got my first job!
what do you have to for the induction days?

Lots of paperwork, watching of videos etc. You work though a booklet of tasks/questions on things like health and safety, company goals and so forth. :smile:
Oh yay, first shift back today. Apparantly it was horrendous on clothing yesterday, only one person on & the sale had started.. Oh I can't wait >.<
Happy xmas Sainsburys friends! I have finished today until monday now yay!
Just one question. How long do you have to work there to get sick pay please?
x
Reply 7239
does anyone know how much band 3 get paid?

Latest

Trending

Trending