The Student Room Group

Do Oxford ever make a mistake?

Do Oxford ever make a mistake in sending out the wrong letter for example?
My friend's brother received a rejection letter, and then two days later got accepted- great for him but what if it was the other way round!

Scroll to see replies

Oh no... now I'll be nervous no matter what response I get!
Reply 2
Surely you answered your own question? :biggrin:

I imagine that'd be absolutely crushing though ...
Reply 3
They probably do make mistakes.

<insert sinister music here>

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, everyone seems to get so worked up about oxford offers or rejections, I'd be happy wherever I went ^^
I can't remember the guys name but he is on question time a bit. He got an acceptance letter off oxford when they meant to reject him but they let him in because it would be cruel not to. How lucky is that.
how bad would it be if they rejected him again saying the the acceptance was a mistake
Reply 6
I think if they sent an acceptance accidentally, they probably wouldn't say (like they have done with your brother but the other way around) because that would be far too harsh.
Reply 7
Want one of those letters :frown: DOH!

But yes, they could make that mistake but I doubt they would let you know.
Reply 8
Damn it, now I've become hopeful again. I've already found an imaginary loophole in my rejection letter, I got pooled to Regent's Park which is a PPH, and it said "not under consideration by any other COLLEGES".

What a plonker :redface:
Reply 9
I HOPE SO.
What I would give right now for my rejection to be turned into an offer ... :frown:
Well as you've said yourself OP, sometimes the wrong verdict does accidentally get sent out. This happens infrequently though, so it's not something to be relied upon. That would be clinging to false hope and torturing yourself unnecessarily :yes:
About 10% of all letters sent out are in error.
Original post by electriic_ink
About 10% of all letters sent out are in error.

Source? I suspect you're joking, but this one's going to frighten the poor applicants a lot!
Everyone makes mistakes. But you just have to remember that it's rare, so trust your letters (generally..)
Reply 14
They make mistakes regarding those were supposed to receive offers and those who DESERVED to receive offers
Original post by vms1993
They make mistakes regarding those were supposed to receive offers and those who DESERVED to receive offers

Well aside from the fact that "deserved" is rather subjective... If they gave offers to everyone who deserved them, they'd be making hundreds of offers, taking in far more people than they can offer that level of tuition to and thus cheating everyone out of the Oxford experience due to the decline in quality that would inevitably happen if they had to deal with hundreds of extra people :yes:

Unfortunate and a great shame, no doubt, but true :yes:
Reply 16
I am pretty sure they make a lot of mistakes concerning conditional/unconditional offers

I, for example, got an unconditional offer although I havent finished my qualification yet ... :P

And I ve read (in the "Look at me I have an OFFER" thread) that there are several people who got conditional offers although they already have their grades because they are on a gap year. :smile:

Everyone makes mistakes^^
Reply 17
Is it advisable to ask colleges to confirm that the decisions applicants have received are correct?
Reply 18
I am pretty sure that if you have the letter there are more or less binding legal obligations for Oxford to give you the place ... I wouldnt be THAT sure about e-mails :smile:
Original post by Assassnum
I am pretty sure that if you have the letter there are more or less binding legal obligations for Oxford to give you the place ... I wouldnt be THAT sure about e-mails :smile:

There's no such legal obligation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending