The Student Room Group

apply for a english and creative writing course ?

:smile:Hi Is anybody going to apply for an English and creative writing course?
I love English and do want to pursue it as a career but I want to take English and creative writing as a degree, I was wondering if it’s a good one to do?
Any help would be awesome :smile:
Reply 1
I have heard that Bath Spa university offer a very good English and creative writing course which would be well worth looking at :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zoe Edwards
:smile:Hi Is anybody going to apply for an English and creative writing course?
I love English and do want to pursue it as a career but I want to take English and creative writing as a degree, I was wondering if it’s a good one to do?
Any help would be awesome :smile:

If your interested in it then definitley, its a good balance. UEA is one of the top unis for the course, I know they request a writing portfolio before they make a decision.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Original post by cybergrad

Thank you!! That looks greAT !!
Reply 5
Be sure to check out De Montfort's course. :smile: Its fairly reputable for English, too.
Reply 6
Hey,
I've applied to do English and Creative writing too, it looks great! I'm really looking forward to it, De Montfort is a good place for the course; that's one of the places I've applied to, and Warwick also has a very good reputation for it; it's very competitive though.
Lots of luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Jack.O
Be sure to check out De Montfort's course. :smile: Its fairly reputable for English, too.

THANK YOOOOOOUU!! I must have looked at every uni, EXCEPT this one and its looks great!!!! So thank you!!!!! have a great christmas !!!!!!!! :smile:
Hey :smile: i go to bangor and i study this, it's a great course. Well chosen! :smile:
Reply 9
THANK YOOOOOOUU!! I must have looked at every uni, EXCEPT this one and its looks great!!!! So thank you!!!!! have a great christmas !!!!!!!! :smile:

No worries. :smile: And thanks, hope you have a good christmas too.

Definitely try De Montfort. I turned down Royal Holloway because of the writing side and went to De Montfort. There isn't one moment I regret my decision. In English the tutors are great, the Gothic Literature is fascinating and Identity and Exploring Writing are fantastic!
This is gonna probably sound biased but the two together are good choices as your reading can influence your writing. Just be prepred for some crap reading at times.
Nottingham also do it. One thing to be aware of though is you'll need a portfolio for most places and the courses usually only have about 15 places, so it's much more competitive. Try also looking for English courses with modules in creative writing rather than a joint honours.
Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds
This is gonna probably sound biased but the two together are good choices as your reading can influence your writing. Just be prepred for some crap reading at times.

And probably some crap writing at times too.... :tongue:
Original post by Eloise987
Nottingham also do it. One thing to be aware of though is you'll need a portfolio for most places and the courses usually only have about 15 places, so it's much more competitive. Try also looking for English courses with modules in creative writing rather than a joint honours.

I was going to apply to Notts and then I was like 30 places? Eff off! :tongue:
I really wished I'd applied there instead of Hull.

I've been surprised by how many courses I've seen that don't ask for a portfolio! I originally had a *thing* against applying to universities that didn't ask for one (i.e. how can you tell how good a writer I am if you haven't seen a sample of my writing? Are you a good university if you don't check?) but I suppose it's just an extra inconvenience for universities that don't have the time or resources to scour through thousands of portfolios.

You know a course I was surprised to hear was good? Manchester Met. They have Simon Armitage, Melvin Burgess and Carol Ann Duffy on their staff which is pretty damn special! They DO ask for a portfolio though.
Original post by diamonddust
And probably some crap writing at times too.... :tongue:

Nah, the assignments are decent, my writing's just a bit crap t times as I'm usually falling asleep in the main lecture.

*Breaks into serenade of 'I Don't Like Mondays'*
I'm studying English Literature with Creative Writing at Lancaster University and I'd definitely recommend it. When I was applying to uni I put it down as an afterthought but after UEA and Warwick both turned me down I decided to accept my place, and I don't regret it.

Our Creative Writing tutor gives us complete freedom on what to write- we have to write a 1000-word story (or part of a story) or a short poem every week, which might sound like a lot but it's good practise! I admit I was a bit nervous at first but the tutors are good at giving constructive criticism- they tell you what works and what doesn't. The workload is manageable and there's a Writers' Society which publishes a termly magazine, giving you the chance to see your work in print. On the English Lit side of things, we study a variety of texts but when it comes to coursework you can choose which texts to write about so you still have a lot of freedom. I'm having an amazing time at Lancaster!
Reply 16
Original post by bookworm369
I'm studying English Literature with Creative Writing at Lancaster University and I'd definitely recommend it. When I was applying to uni I put it down as an afterthought but after UEA and Warwick both turned me down I decided to accept my place, and I don't regret it.

Our Creative Writing tutor gives us complete freedom on what to write- we have to write a 1000-word story (or part of a story) or a short poem every week, which might sound like a lot but it's good practise! I admit I was a bit nervous at first but the tutors are good at giving constructive criticism- they tell you what works and what doesn't. The workload is manageable and there's a Writers' Society which publishes a termly magazine, giving you the chance to see your work in print. On the English Lit side of things, we study a variety of texts but when it comes to coursework you can choose which texts to write about so you still have a lot of freedom. I'm having an amazing time at Lancaster!

Thanks for that :smile: The freedom they allow you sounds great, I hadn't considerd Lancaster but I've just looked at the website and the topics they cover do look interesting. Did you look at Falmouth Uni College? I've been advised to apply to that one for this course? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest