The Student Room Group

Do I Have A Chance?

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Southampton, UCL and Imperial for Engineering or Computer Science. I'm quite confident that I'll get A's at least for my A Levels. However my GCSE's are pretty bad - I got 1 A*, 1 A, 2B's and 4Cs. Should I bother applying for them or if I retake all the one I got Bs and Cs in will it make a difference.
Reply 1
i dont really think you should apply to Cambridge, UCL and Imperial with these grades. I dont want to be harsh but your choices are more likely to go wasted if you do. Apply to other uni's with grade requirements not so hight, there are plenty of good uni's apart from these.

PS: i think Southampton is okay, but i'd rather if you substitute the others.
Reply 2
You may struggle with Cambridge and Imperial to be honest, depends on the course though...
Reply 3
Original post by xdgirl1001
I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Southampton, UCL and Imperial for Engineering or Computer Science. I'm quite confident that I'll get A's at least for my A Levels. However my GCSE's are pretty bad - I got 1 A*, 1 A, 2B's and 4Cs. Should I bother applying for them or if I retake all the one I got Bs and Cs in will it make a difference.

You definitely have a chance as for all Universities your grades at AS and predicted grades are much more important than your GCSEs! However i would definitely have a much safer uni for the fifth choice just in case :smile:

Cambridge interviews almost 95% of all applicants, so you will most likely get an interview. You will also need to make sure that your module UMS marks are good, over 90% in a relevant subject would be nice, but this is not a requirement to apply to Cambridge. Cambridge look at the whole picture, they look at your GCSE grades, your As Grades (and UMS marks), your predicted grades, your reference, your personal statement, and any tests or work you may have to submit for interview :smile: GCSEs are only one factor of what is a very long list! Just make sure all the rest are really good and you have a good chance :biggrin:

I can't say much about the other universities, but the same advice would go to them as well i guess :smile: But don't worry you will definitely be considered!
Reply 4
You'll have to wait until you get your as results. Cambridge ask for your individual ums score so if you get like 90% plus in all of them, to compensate for your poor gcses, then it will be worth applying. Imperial I believe require grade b in English language at gcse.
Reply 5
My GCSE's are only just slightly better than yours and I applied for UCL. Cambridge and Imperial may be harder though, I'd go for only one as a risky choice maybe? It depends what you got in science and maths though I'm guessing as they might ask for a's in those subjects at GCSE, Imperial definitely want A* in maths
I'd speak to your school about it. Because in October my school had some Oxbridge people come in and interview a few possible candidates.

I was invited by my head of year to go to this day. At GCSE I got 1A*, 4A's, 1B 2C's and 2D's, and I was sitting with kids who all but 1 got straight A*/A's. A few days after the interview, I bumped into my head of year and she said that the Oxbridge people spoke to her afterwards and said I was the only student who'd stand a chance of getting in (I didn't apply, there was other places I'd rather go).

So long as you get the A levels they're after and if you do get an interview give the best impression you physically can. Good Luck anyway
Reply 7
My GCSEs were tragic compared to yours but I got an interview at Cambridge - didn't get in though. Hey, you never know ay?! But also apply to some less prestigious Unis - you don't want to end up getting boyd off and left with no options. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by xdgirl1001

Unless your parents have a six figure income I wouldn't apply to Cambridge.
Reply 9
it depends on your predicted grades for A2 and your AS grades. My GCSE grades weren't fantastic but i had an interview at Oxford for Music. If you work really hard in AS (And you have no reason not to, since no subjects are forced upon you), you should stand a chance at applying wherever you want to :smile:

Saying that, applying only to uni's where the offers would all be AAA or higher isn't the best idea. Try to see which uni's have modules that interest you that maybe have more realistic entry requirements

Hope I've helped :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks everyone for all your advice. If I re-sat all my C grade GCSE's would it change things?
Reply 11
Campbridge will decline you. 99.99%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending