The Student Room Group

A Biology & Chemistry AS?

Any tips on how to achieve this? I made a few threads based on it and have done pretty much what everyone advised and seeing how it's less than 3 weeks away, I don't want to waste any time as I want to get an A. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For Chemistry, go through the modules, look at your notes, re-write any which are scruffy or old.. Answer questions in revision guide, do lots of past papers :smile: That's how I revised..

Whereas Biology.. :s-smilie: I got a B in.. I would go through the modules & make notes.. After, I would go through it again & shorten the notes dramatically.. :s-smilie:

Hope that helped :s-smilie:
Reply 2
I'm in the same boat. Just do hundreds of past papers. Then do them all again. And again.

Also, if you have any textbooks, it might be a good time to go through all the practice exam questions they have. Not to mention read through your notes a decent bit and make sure you have definitions down.
Reply 3
Original post by xPixie
For Chemistry, go through the modules, look at your notes, re-write any which are scruffy or old.. Answer questions in revision guide, do lots of past papers :smile: That's how I revised..

Whereas Biology.. :s-smilie: I got a B in.. I would go through the modules & make notes.. After, I would go through it again & shorten the notes dramatically.. :s-smilie:

Hope that helped :s-smilie:

Chemistry - I've covered A LOT. It's OCR Atoms, Bonds & Groups exam and I've done each past paper atleast twice now but just need to go over the stuff I get wrong. I'll definitley do that though - I need to keep going through the specification & revising my notes. I've also done that for Biology since the beginning
Reply 4
Original post by Accalia
I'm in the same boat. Just do hundreds of past papers. Then do them all again. And again.

Also, if you have any textbooks, it might be a good time to go through all the practice exam questions they have. Not to mention read through your notes a decent bit and make sure you have definitions down.

- Done all exam questions in the book
- Learnt my notes very thoroughly already as we went along
- Done some legacy papers too

I'm not sure how I should keep going over my notes though? I plan to go through a decent 4 chapters in a day but this is too unrealistic right? Should I stick to 1 or 2 chapters a day then past papers?
Reply 5
Original post by LifeIsGood
Chemistry - I've covered A LOT. It's OCR Atoms, Bonds & Groups exam and I've done each past paper atleast twice now but just need to go over the stuff I get wrong. I'll definitley do that though - I need to keep going through the specification & revising my notes. I've also done that for Biology since the beginning

I do OCR B and we get a module map (not sure if you get that too for OCR A), but I got through that, making sure I have notes for everything. Then do ALL the past papers & by that time, you really should know everything.. If you've done all that.. I say take a break :tongue: Don't work too hard as that could be bad & you could be over-revising..
Reply 6
Original post by xPixie
I do OCR B and we get a module map (not sure if you get that too for OCR A), but I got through that, making sure I have notes for everything. Then do ALL the past papers & by that time, you really should know everything.. If you've done all that.. I say take a break :tongue: Don't work too hard as that could be bad & you could be over-revising..

I'll do that, I still need to go over few bits & pieces I'm going to take it easy for Chemistry. I'll try to do a paper everyday though and when the final week comes, I'll load up on them and do them all over again. For Chemistry I'll go over my notes repeatedly making sure I haven't missed anything important. Thanks, I'm settled for Chemistry. Biology? :frown:
Reply 7
I did aqa as chemistry and biology last year, i found the cgp revision guides really good, i did two double page spreads a day in loads of detail.
also with the past papers, don't just mark them try and get model answers from the mark scheme.

It got me an A, hope that helps! Im sooo stuck on A2 right now- exam in january.:eek:
Reply 8
For Biology, I say go through your book in detail, make notes all over again.. Then go through it a second time & shorten the notes to less than an A4 size so it only contains key points.. :s-smilie: Not sure if that will help.. But I'm currently doing that for A2 :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by 13786
I did aqa as chemistry and biology last year, i found the cgp revision guides really good, i did two double page spreads a day in loads of detail.
also with the past papers, don't just mark them try and get model answers from the mark scheme.

It got me an A, hope that helps! Im sooo stuck on A2 right now- exam in january.:eek:

I've been doing exactly that from the beginning :biggrin: It got me 90% in every end of unit test and in the mock itself. I don't use the CGP guide I stick to the specification & Nelson Thornes and I've made all my notes onto A4 pages -
9 chapters = 9 pages - I split up the Cells and Digestion topic into 3 and 2. But i feel if i don't do anything in the Xmas holidays I won't get a good grade no matter how much work I have put in and I want to look back and say I put the most effort I could ever put in to get my grade.
Reply 10
Original post by xPixie
For Biology, I say go through your book in detail, make notes all over again.. Then go through it a second time & shorten the notes to less than an A4 size so it only contains key points.. :s-smilie: Not sure if that will help.. But I'm currently doing that for A2 :s-smilie:

Yep done all that :biggrin: Got my AS notes mapped onto 9 pages which I'm not going to re-create as it's time-consuming. I had to do it twice already anyway. So notes and past papers? Is that all I can do?
Reply 11
- Done all exam questions in the book
- Learnt my notes very thoroughly already as we went along
- Done some legacy papers too

I'm not sure how I should keep going over my notes though? I plan to go through a decent 4 chapters in a day but this is too unrealistic right? Should I stick to 1 or 2 chapters a day then past papers?

Whichever you feel confident you can achieve - I'm going to start going through the notes in my textbooks today, planning to do roughly 30 pages of Bio and up to Organic Chemistry. Do you know about this website? http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

Oh, and my sixth form's website has quite a few practice questions up for Bio. If you're doing the AQA course I'd be happy to email them over to you, there are loads! :tongue:
Reply 12
Yep done all that :biggrin: Got my AS notes mapped onto 9 pages which I'm not going to re-create as it's time-consuming. I had to do it twice already anyway. So notes and past papers? Is that all I can do?

Yeah past papers tbh.. As I presume you know all the knowledge already.. What board are you on for Biology? And if you don't get an A, no one does :smile: You're putting in so much effort, you absolutely deserve it! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Accalia
Whichever you feel confident you can achieve - I'm going to start going through the notes in my textbooks today, planning to do roughly 30 pages of Bio and up to Organic Chemistry. Do you know about this website? http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/

Oh, and my sixth form's website has quite a few practice questions up for Bio. If you're doing the AQA course I'd be happy to email them over to you, there are loads! :tongue:

Oh wow, I'd appreciate that so much. I'll PM you my email add. Thanks again. I'm doing AQA unfortunately (HSW annoys the hell out of me!)
Reply 14
Original post by xPixie
Yeah past papers tbh.. As I presume you know all the knowledge already.. What board are you on for Biology? And if you don't get an A, no one does :smile: You're putting in so much effort, you absolutely deserve it! :biggrin:

Thanks, I hope I get an A. I worked so hard from the beginning :smile:
I'm doing AQA Specification A

Ok so that's what I'm going to do now, just revision and papers. Better make a start then :smile:
Reply 15
Hey im also in the same boat as you but im with the edexcel boat or as my biology teacher says: Johnny Edexcel...

anyays, you seem a bit paranoid, I know we need to do well in these exams but just relax a bit and take breaks. go through past papers again and again, go through your spec and revision questions and also know your practical experiments inisde out.
im kinda baffled that every single paper i see, descirbe this and describe how u would carry out this for bio and chem.
good lucka n stay chilled coz that's much better than be over-worked out
Reply 16
Original post by Oasis Jnr
Hey im also in the same boat as you but im with the edexcel boat or as my biology teacher says: Johnny Edexcel...

anyays, you seem a bit paranoid, I know we need to do well in these exams but just relax a bit and take breaks. go through past papers again and again, go through your spec and revision questions and also know your practical experiments inisde out.
im kinda baffled that every single paper i see, descirbe this and describe how u would carry out this for bio and chem.
good lucka n stay chilled coz that's much better than be over-worked out

lol paranoid? I just want to do well :redface:
I haven't done much as I usually do since the holidays started, that's slacking. I need to pick it up again starting from today, but it's not like I haven't done anything. Anyway I'm going to revise a few chapters of Biology. Thanks for all the help everyone, will rep when I get a chance :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Accalia

I'm doing AQA, could you please send the link? I'm in need of desperate help...

Chemistry and Biology are slowly killing me...
Reply 18
lol paranoid? I just want to do well :redface:
I haven't done much as I usually do since the holidays started, that's slacking. I need to pick it up again starting from today, but it's not like I haven't done anything. Anyway I'm going to revise a few chapters of Biology. Thanks for all the help everyone, will rep when I get a chance :smile:

oh ok, btw i've seen the AQA past papers and they're quite harder than the edexcel past papers ... :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Oasis Jnr
oh ok, btw i've seen the AQA past papers and they're quite harder than the edexcel past papers ... :tongue:

Yea the HSW is hell :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending