The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Storm in a tea cup.
Original post by blue acre
Storm in a tea cup.

It was an article published in the Daily Mail. That's how seriously it can be taken.

Besides is Brits aren't racist then why would it be a problem?

It would be a problem if those in a minority have their freedom of speech and civil rights diminished because they makeup a smaller sector of society.

That would be wrong.

Why can't we all just live together without looking at things as superficial as colour of skin and religion?
Reply 162
I would feel unhappy if I was a minority in my own country but by 2066 I'll be 72 so by that time things should be a lot lot different.
Well it would be like having a caucasian majority in Egypt or Ghana or something. It would result in the erosion of native traditions and racial cultures in those countries if such demographic changes were to occur. So yes i would be upset to see a white minority in England as i wouldn't be able to help but think that just maybe our English heritage had been eroded. Racial discrimination doesn't come into it more just interest in preservation of national identity.
Reply 164
The multiculturalism is great. The response seems pretty obvious though. It's like asking another country the same question but in a different context really.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 165
Original post by effofex

Original post by effofex
How come no Emiratis have revolted against the situation? How come no foreigners' properties have been torched? How come influential men such as Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Rashid Al-Makhtoum have not enforced mass deportations of foreigners? Maybe their newfound prosperity leads them to not care about the demographic shifts?

They do care, and it does bother them. You won't see protests and marches and what not, but nobody has ever asked the local public their opinions on being estranged in their own country, I don't recall anybody asking them if they want to become a minority. Are they able to live with it? Yes. Do they agree to it? More often than not, NO.
Reply 166
Original post by CaptainFunk
Well it would be like having a caucasian majority in Egypt or Ghana or something. It would result in the erosion of native traditions and racial cultures in those countries if such demographic changes were to occur. So yes i would be upset to see a white minority in England as i wouldn't be able to help but think that just maybe our English heritage had been eroded. Racial discrimination doesn't come into it more just interest in preservation of national identity.

There already is.
Reply 167
Original post by Sushidelight
Don't ever use the Middle East as an example of tolerance.

.... besides in the UAE, the mentality goes like this: White people (I.E. People with Western Passports) ---> Natives ---> Arabs ----------------------------------------------------------> "Scum of the earth" (Asian slaves.) Last time I went to Oman, I heard that if you hit a camel with your car, you get more in trouble than if you hit a worker. :ninja:

Ehm no. Natives are kinda far above white people.
Reply 168
r
Original post by effofex
How come no Emiratis have revolted against the situation? How come no foreigners' properties have been torched? How come influential men such as Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Rashid Al-Makhtoum have not enforced mass deportations of foreigners? Maybe their newfound prosperity leads them to not care about the demographic shifts?

You're missing the, critical, part that no immigrants have citizenships in the UAE. Every and all imimigrants there are there on temporary contracts and can be deported at a moment's notice. Furthermore, no immigrants are there on a permanent basis.
Original post by No Man
I'm sure The Japanese, Chinese, Nigerians, Arabs, Koreans, and Hispanics would also be unhappy if they became the minority race in their countries.

It's not racist. It's how the human race works.

This.

However I think that gradually white people will just die out.. people don't have an issue with having children with people of other races anymore -I certainly wouldn't have a problem having a child with a man of black origin-, so everyone will be of mixed race, eventually, in generations to come.

I don't know how long it will take.. whether it will be 100 years or 1000 years, but it will happen eventually.
Reply 170
Such opinions will continue as long as we cling to the failed idea of the "nation state".
Wonder what the TSR Communist Society has to say about this.

Successive governments have all but destroyed national pride and identity, branding anyone who DARES to show any sense of national pride racist :mad:
Reply 172
Original post by Paxdax
r

You're missing the, critical, part that no immigrants have citizenships in the UAE. Every and all imimigrants there are there on temporary contracts and can be deported at a moment's notice. Furthermore, no immigrants are there on a permanent basis.

In practise you can be there on a semi-permanent basis if you have an indefinite contract with the company you work for and the job location in is in the UAE. People can be stationed there for 30+ years until they retire (when it gets quite difficult to stay).

Regardless, foreigners still easily outnumber Emiratis (even though they have significantly fewer rights than Emiratis). So Emiratis are still a small minority in their own country. When an Emirati goes out he or she will still see and be aware that he/she is in the minority in his/her own country.

We are after all comparing this to British people being unhappy about British-born ethnically non-British people becoming a majority in Britain over the next century. That transition has been made far quicker in the UAE than will happen in the UK.
Reply 173
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Wonder what the TSR Communist Society has to say about this.

Successive governments have all but destroyed national pride and identity, branding anyone who DARES to show any sense of national pride racist :mad:

Oh really? Please explain how.
Reply 175
Original post by effofex
I'm sure they are. But interestingly, I don't think any of the Emirati Sheikhs (heads of states) have advocated complete deportations of the foreign European, Arab, South Asian, African and Oriental populations living in their midst.

The Emiratis are a unique case.

The country barely has a cultural identity separate of Arabian culture besides being a millionaire's playground.

They don't mind the other races because they're all rich and contribute enormously to the economy. These types of immigrants of other races probably don't seek permanent residence anyway; they're businesspeople, they travel. If they are not of a significantly high income, they are cheap labour workers who are also highly beneficial to the economy provided they are not too high in number. Are Emiratis not Arabian anyway? Saudi Arabia is right next door, a country which to my understanding has an awful lot of xenophobia, ironically enough.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 176
Original post by WhuTom
The Emiratis are a unique case.

The country barely has a cultural identity separate of Arabian culture besides being a millionaire's playground.

They don't mind the other races because they're all rich and contribute enormously to the economy. These types of immigrants of other races probably don't seek permanent residence anyway; they're businesspeople, they travel. If they are not of a significantly high income, they are cheap labour workers who are also highly beneficial to the economy provided they are not too high in number. Are Emiratis not Arabian anyway? Saudi Arabia is right next door, a country which to my understanding has an awful lot of xenophobia, ironically enough.

I'm sure that Emirati culture may differ in quite stark ways from those of Yemeni Bedouin or from people from the Hijaz or Nejd in Al-Saud. There isn't really a homogenous Arabian culture in the same way as there isn't a homogenous European culture.

No foreigner can get citizenship and guaranteed lifetime residence but alot of people are posted to places like Al-Dubai, Al-Sharjah and Abu Dhabi for work. I'm also fairly sure that construction workers easily outnumber Emiratis too (and tertiary sector workers might too).
Reply 177
Original post by effofex
In practise you can be there on a semi-permanent basis if you have an indefinite contract with the company you work for and the job location in is in the UAE. People can be stationed there for 30+ years until they retire (when it gets quite difficult to stay).

Regardless, foreigners still easily outnumber Emiratis (even though they have significantly fewer rights than Emiratis). So Emiratis are still a small minority in their own country. When an Emirati goes out he or she will still see and be aware that he/she is in the minority in his/her own country.

We are after all comparing this to British people being unhappy about British-born ethnically non-British people becoming a majority in Britain over the next century. That transition has been made far quicker in the UAE than will happen in the UK.

Nevertheless the situations are in no way comparable. The immigrants are not part of the UAE. They are just passing elements. Semi-permanent contracts or not, foreigners can be booted with a moment's notice. Emiratis have 100% of the political power, and that's that.

Britain is not in any way similar.

Britain and the UAE cannot be compared.
Reply 178
Original post by Paxdax
Nevertheless the situations are in no way comparable. The immigrants are not part of the UAE. They are just passing elements. Semi-permanent contracts or not, foreigners can be booted with a moment's notice. Emiratis have 100% of the political power, and that's that.

Britain is not in any way similar.

Britain and the UAE cannot be compared.

The immigrants to the UAE are resident in the land area of the UAE in the same way as the immigrants to Britain are residentin the land area of Britain. If the UK government wanted to, it could rescind a visa to a foreign national very quickly and commence with deportation proceedings, similarly to in the UAE. I'm not sure what rights of appeal a foreigner in the UAE has though (compared to in the UK).

100% of seats in the UK Parliament are held by British citizens. Foreigners in the UK have no voting rights in general elections unless they have been awarded with the indefinite leave to remain. The vast majority of foreigners will not have this.
Reply 179
Original post by effofex
The immigrants to the UAE are resident in the land area of the UAE in the same way as the immigrants to Britain are residentin the land area of Britain. If the UK government wanted to, it could rescind a visa to a foreign national very quickly and commence with deportation proceedings, similarly to in the UAE. I'm not sure what rights of appeal a foreigner in the UAE has though (compared to in the UK).

100% of seats in the UK Parliament are held by British citizens. Foreigners in the UK have no voting rights in general elections unless they have been awarded with the indefinite leave to remain. The vast majority of foreigners will not have this.

British Citizen =/= White British

Which is the topic. There are millions of non-white and/or non-British whites who are British citizens. In the UAE, there are no non-Emirati citizens. That is the difference. Nevermind the difference in population size, education and infrastructure, etc etc, which determines the viability of an economy.

Latest

Trending

Trending