The Student Room Group

The fate of the Middle East?

Do you think a lot of the Middle Eastern nations will end up dying out economically if/when the demand for oil drops? I think they will, other then the UAE because they're developing their tourism and banking industries, and maybe Saudi Arabia.

Scroll to see replies

there's a lot more to the middle east than just oil

sand for instance
Reply 2
When it comes down to Oil, the west will just send troops in to occupy it anyway.
Mr. Orange is right, though; oil isn't the only thing The Middle East exports.
Reply 3
Once the oil runs out, I reckon those tea cloth wearing A-Rabs will be absolutely cream crackered! :holmes:
Reply 4
I think that's maybe why Dubai and other gulf states started to re-brand themselves as hubs of finance and commerce knowing that the oil won't flow forever.

It's a shame really so much of it squandered away for so little prices.
Minerals, minerals everywhere
Original post by No Man
Do you think a lot of the Middle Eastern nations will end up dying out economically if/when the demand for oil drops? I think they will, other then the UAE because they're developing their tourism and banking industries, and maybe Saudi Arabia.

tourism will thrive however it would repel people away with their strict laws on homosexuality and showing love in public. The middle east wouldn't survive the 21st century unless they ditch their outdated faith called islam, judaism and christianity. once they ditch the religion, they can thrive really well
Reply 7
The fate of the Middle East looks gloomy if power is left to ignorant,religious wise-cracks!!!:worm2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lilaj
The fate of the Middle East looks gloomy if power is left to ignorant,religious wise-cracks!!!:worm2:

:facepalm:
Reply 9
UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and slowly Saudi Arabia are all diversifying their economy so that there's minimum dependence on oil and more on things like financial services, real-estate, tourism, trade and attracting global corporations to settle there because of their appealing tax laws.

Although Dubai doesn't really have much oil left now, in it's boom time the oil only contributed 8% to it's economy so it has demonstrated it can still work without oil. It may not be as prosperous with cash being thrown everywhere at the most extravagant projects but it will do pretty well.

As for Abu Dhabi, well it has the world's largest sovereign fund valued at over $1 TRILLION dollars, which for a city as tiny as it is is just unbelievable. They've diversified their portfolio across the whole world, they have bought huge stakes in just about every recognisable global company there is, from banks like Citi and Barclays to car companies like Volkswagon (inc Porsche) and Mercedes. It's recognised to be the richest city in the world having 13% of the world's oil reserves underneath it.

Qatar is probably in the best shape, it is home to one of the largest liquid natural gas reserves and it's only just started exploiting those reserves not long ago. Richest city in the world in terms of GDP per capita, it's almost the fastest growing country in the world (economy grew by 15% during the economic crisis, the most of any country). They're focusing a lot on becoming a cultural hub and focusing on things like technology, science etc which are all things that progress an economy. Plus it's just won the world cup bid so that will add to it.

In terms of laws, well they have been relaxed and provided you show consideration for the locals it's not really a problem. There's this great level of naivety that even going to Dubai for a mere holiday is risky and you will get put in jail bla bla but this is not the case. Let me put it this way, 80% of Dubai's population are western expats, they're thriving and enjoying life there just fine with no problems. Of course, it's not the most liberal place in the world but they have relaxed things hugely. There's a lot of segregation so the traditional locals stay and hang out on the outskirts whilst the rich westerners live in the city centre...where there's more of a hollywood culture than anything else.

I know because I've lived there as a British expat for over a decade
Reply 10
Original post by Imperatore
Qatar is probably in the best shape, it is home to one of the largest liquid natural gas reserves and it's only just started exploiting those reserves not long ago. Richest city in the world in terms of GDP per capita, it's almost the fastest growing country in the world (economy grew by 15% during the economic crisis, the most of any country). They're focusing a lot on becoming a cultural hub and focusing on things like technology, science etc which are all things that progress an economy. Plus it's just won the world cup bid so that will add to it.

In terms of laws, well they have been relaxed and provided you show consideration for the locals it's not really a problem. There's this great level of naivety that even going to Dubai for a mere holiday is risky and you will get put in jail bla bla but this is not the case. Let me put it this way, 80% of Dubai's population are western expats, they're thriving and enjoying life there just fine with no problems. Of course, it's not the most liberal place in the world but they have relaxed things hugely. There's a lot of segregation so the traditional locals stay and hang out on the outskirts whilst the rich westerners live in the city centre...where there's more of a hollywood culture than anything else.

I know because I've lived there as a British expat for over a decade

Well don't you think places like Qatar would need to borrow/take land from Saudi Arabia, since they're such a small country with growing populations/industries?

And do you think the rest of the middle east (other then Iran, because they won't) relax their laws like Dubai?
Reply 11
Original post by No Man
Well don't you think places like Qatar would need to borrow/take land from Saudi Arabia, since they're such a small country with growing populations/industries?

And do you think the rest of the middle east (other then Iran, because they won't) relax their laws like Dubai?

Not really, considering most of Qatar is still plain dessert so if anything at the moment they're looking at ways to fill all that space up. 85% of the population is concentrated in the small capital city of Doha alone (that's an area of ~130 square km out of the total ~11500 square km) so only about 2-3% (5% tops) of the land is actually being used by the population.

Qatar and Bahrain has followed Dubai in relaxing laws, because it's a necessity if they want to attract international companies and people. The places that are very westernised with majority western population allow people to do things they would in their home countries. You see loads of beaches exclusive for westerners where there are huge parties being thrown by the hotels, people drinking, dancing in bikinis etc. In those places these sort of things are sort of brushed under the carpet and the police turn a blind eye to it.

Also, Dubai is the world's second largest sex city after Amsterdam, russian prostitutes galore! Obviously because there are incredibly wealthy people there willing to pay big money for that sort of stuff.

I think Qatar and Bahrain will preserve its laws slightly more than Dubai (which is the only emirate of the UAE that has relaxed them, the rest are pretty strict mainly because it's populated mostly with locals, very few westerners).
They're looking to be a business hub rather than a tourism, luxury, holiday resort sort of place like Dubai where drinking, partying etc. occurs.
Reply 12
Well, in all honesty in 2012 Israel will have control of the middle east, so they will probably take out the oil and kill Muslims.
afghanistan will always have heroin
Reply 14
remarkable that no one, except for some smart arse above, has mentioned israel in this thread
Reply 15
Original post by Tempa
Well, in all honesty in 2012 Israel will have control of the middle east, so they will probably take out the oil and kill Muslims.

Israel will be alive as long as America is alive.

OR

Until the Arabs unite, which will never happen :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by ahnaf.c
Israel will be alive as long as America is alive.

OR

Until the Arabs unite, which will never happen :frown:

Israel will be alive until the Dajjal is alive, once he's dead, we will be chillin'.
Original post by Tempa

err...how?
I believe other things like the Sahara project will start to become mainstream ie: The UAE is supposedly making a solar city
Reply 19
Original post by beefmaster
err...how?

You will see my Egyptian Brother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending