The Student Room Group

Your Preferred Study Methods?

Just wondering how everyone studies here. Higher prelims are coming up in February so I'm starting to think a bit more about starting to study; hoping I can get a few study ideas from this thread :smile:

If you have specific methods of study for certain subjects, feel free to mention them also :wink:

For my Standard Grades I re-wrote out ALL my notes and extra answers to some past paper questions for almost every subject as well as doing past papers obviously. Appears to have worked effectively for that ha. However I'm not sure about the same method for Highers due to the vast workload and my parents not understanding my need for decent quality paper to write these notes on...:mad: BUT ANYWAY...

Your turn :smile:
I am an A level student but it works for all.

1: The sandwich method: Read notes and brief study material. Or a cram book. Then follow on with the textbook and finish off again with a cram book/revision guide/notes.

2: I tend to use the Text to my advantage. Make questions from the text.

I will try to PM you with details. I have an AS Physics exam in January and I am naturally buay as well as having stuff to do around on TSR but I hope to get round to it.

All the best
Reply 2
Original post by LonelySoul193
Just wondering how everyone studies here. Higher prelims are coming up in February so I'm starting to think a bit more about starting to study; hoping I can get a few study ideas from this thread :smile:

If you have specific methods of study for certain subjects, feel free to mention them also :wink:

For my Standard Grades I re-wrote out ALL my notes and extra answers to some past paper questions for almost every subject as well as doing past papers obviously. Appears to have worked effectively for that ha. However I'm not sure about the same method for Highers due to the vast workload and my parents not understanding my need for decent quality paper to write these notes on...:mad: BUT ANYWAY...

Your turn :smile:

What subjects are you doing?
Original post by House of Jonny
I am an A level student but it works for all.

1: The sandwich method: Read notes and brief study material. Or a cram book. Then follow on with the textbook and finish off again with a cram book/revision guide/notes.

2: I tend to use the Text to my advantage. Make questions from the text.

I will try to PM you with details. I have an AS Physics exam in January and I am naturally buay as well as having stuff to do around on TSR but I hope to get round to it.

All the best

Hi there, I'm struggling with rev. too, my old method off reading notes is no longer effective now I've reached A-level, is there any chance you could p.m me with more detail and I would be so grateful, :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Zoe Edwards
Hi there, I'm struggling with rev. too, my old method off reading notes is no longer effective now I've reached A-level, is there any chance you could p.m me with more detail and I would be so grateful, :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sure thing. I shall PM ASAP. I also notice that you are new to the student room. At least almost new. I will add you as a friend. You need to accept me too
Reply 5
Original post by bex285
What subjects are you doing?

All Highers:
English
Maths
Physics
Modern Studies
Computing
Reply 6
Original post by LonelySoul193
All Highers:
English
Maths
Physics
Modern Studies
Computing

I didn't do any of those except Maths and English so here goes:
Maths-PRACTICE. If you don't know how to do something, ask. Do all the main exercises and pay particular attention to the ones you can't do, tackling them step by step until you could talk someone through it. Past papers are your friend, especially the questions at the end which are always the hard ones and although the same one rarely comes up again, no doubt you'll learn something from it that you'll be able to apply to the exam paper you sit.
English-Learn TYPES of questions for close reading and how to tackle them step by step. The same kinds of questions come up every year, so if you know how to answer one the others will be easy. For the essay section, learn 2/3 poems including annotations and choose ones with themes that come up year after year e.g. love/death. If you're doing a play, study at least one scene in a LOT of detail, as more often than not knowing one scene inside out will help you be able to answer at least one of the questions.

Hope that helped :smile:
1. read everything.
2. make notes.
3. make shorter notes.
4. make everything colourful
5. take notes everywhere and read like a nob.
6. success.
Reply 8
Taking notes on everything to make sure i actually understand it, then past papers about a month before the exam
Maths: past papers, but re-doing exercises/examples for things I don't understand.

English Literature: Writing out essay plans/practice questions/notes on the texts.

Languages: Learning vocab/grammar then revising it from books/online. Random reading/listening/talking to myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending