The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roblee
We get the accommodation forms sometime after firming, no idea if it's before or after results day TBH. I just don't think it's very wise to shout to the internet exactly where you'll be living next year :rolleyes:
(could be paranoia, ignore me if you disagree)

I think last year, I recieved my accomodation form somewhere in late may; Im guessing it'll be around the same time this year.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by roblee
Yes, I row. It's more of an exercise/cardio thing than a competitive thing though, I can't remember ever having been in a race or anything.
You're going to turn out to be an olympic rower, aren't you?

lol dont worry im not quite that serious. Ive done quite a few races and things but its more for fun/exercise. I havent been for ages anyway because of the snow :mad:
I think you can only stay in the boathouse if you get a rowing scholarship. A guy in my year is applying for one I think. He like rows for GB though
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ethiokid
Is any one applying to imperial for biochemistry or biotechnology?
If yes, have you got a reply from them yet?

hey, just got an offer for Biotechnology from Imperial half an hour ago! the conditions were AAB :biggrin: but argh waiting for Biomedical Science! ><

(haha Roblee! please include this in the first page, thanks! :biggrin:)
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm so excited about going to Imperial :biggrin:
I really like Garden Hall, or even the one in Notting Hill (it says something about it being a construction site though which is a bit offputting)

TBH I don't even mind which hall, living in London will be immense. :biggrin:
Reply 184
Original post by Panda cares
I'm so excited about going to Imperial :biggrin:
I really like Garden Hall, or even the one in Notting Hill (it says something about it being a construction site though which is a bit offputting)

TBH I don't even mind which hall, living in London will be immense. :biggrin:

You said it! ^^ Word is all the construction-site-ish places should be done and dusted by the time we start, though :smile:
Reply 185
Original post by nikita_atikin

I'm not as fussed about people knowing who/where I am currently since I'm in familiar territory and there's generally other people around with me, but when you're on your own in an unfamiliar part of London you're a lot more vulnerable to stuff like that.
(stampede of :colone:s to my profile now :s-smilie:)

Btw, does anyone know what Imperial's policy is on TVs? Are we allowed to get our own or is there a common one in the common room? Do people normally get their TVs in anyway? :confused:
Remembering from the interview-day tour, there are large TVs in most common rooms. Having ventured into some standard accommodation, I'd guess there probably wouldn't be enough space unless it's a really small one.

EDIT: Sharks do not stampede.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by roblee
Remembering from the interview-day tour, there are large TVs in most common rooms. Having ventured into some standard accommodation, I'd guess there probably wouldn't be enough space unless it's a really small one.

You'd DEFINITELY have to get your own TV licence if you want to have your own TV, though; the hall's licence won't cover it.

Honestly though, not worth it when you can stream - and every floor's shared kitchen also seems to have a nice flat-screen as well. :smile:
Reply 187
I am absolutely itching to look at the options for accomodation, but I don't want to get all excited about going to Imperial and then miss my offer - think I'd actually die. So not sure what to do... But, er, just to induldge, to those knowledgeable - so are there common rooms in every building? How many people are kitchens usually shared between? I suppose these things would vary depending on the building but I'm too scared to actually look at each one...
Reply 188
Original post by arianex
You'd DEFINITELY have to get your own TV licence if you want to have your own TV, though; the hall's licence won't cover it.

Honestly though, not worth it when you can stream - and every floor's shared kitchen also seems to have a nice flat-screen as well. :smile:

I don't actually watch much TV (or even stream) so it's all good.
Btw, congratulations on your rejection :biggrin: We Are The Reject University
Reply 189
Sankyew Robbeh. XD
Original post by arianex

Now that you've mentioned streaming, I'd say most people will watch videos/films/TV on their laptops/PCs but I think you need TV license for that too. :s-smilie: I'm hoping someone will quote me on that and correct me/back me up, but I think even if you don't have a TV but make use of TV facilities through other ways, TV license is needed.

Original post by roblee
I don't actually watch much TV (or even stream) so it's all good.
Btw, congratulations on your rejection :biggrin: We Are The Reject University

A fellow computer scientist will know, are you thinking of getting a laptop, desktop or both? I'm inclined to laptop for multifunctionality tbh, I might use the one laptop for work/study/leisure/music/TV etc etc, your thoughts, sir? :smile:

Original post by bzzz
I am absolutely itching to look at the options for accomodation, but I don't want to get all excited about going to Imperial and then miss my offer - think I'd actually die. So not sure what to do... But, er, just to induldge, to those knowledgeable - so are there common rooms in every building? How many people are kitchens usually shared between? I suppose these things would vary depending on the building but I'm too scared to actually look at each one...

I hear what you're saying girlfriend! :frown: I'm getting well into it as well but I don't want to miss my offer and be gutted. :frown: I'd die too tbh.
I think yeah, there is a JCR in every building and the kitchen can be shared between 10-15 I think. The kitchens are mahoosive though.

Original post by arianex
Sankyew Robbeh. XD

I'll take credit for that adorable name, thank you very much. :smile: I sow the seeds and watch people reap the bountiful harvest. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 191
Now that you've mentioned streaming, I'd say most people will watch videos/films/TV on their laptops/PCs but I think you need TV license for that too. :s-smilie: I'm hoping someone will quote me on that and correct me/back me up, but I think even if you don't have a TV but make use of TV facilities through other ways, TV license is needed.

Now that you mentioned it, someone did say something along those lines to me before...but is it still necessary if it's stuff like iPlayer, 4oD or something? :s-smilie:

EDIT// Help yourself to the credit! :biggrin: *chortle* I'd like to see what you can do to my name, Carol (Ann) is not one that people have had much fun tweaking xD
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by arianex
Now that you mentioned it, someone did say something along those lines to me before...but is it still necessary if it's stuff like iPlayer, 4oD or something? :s-smilie:

EDIT// Help yourself to the credit! :biggrin: *chortle* I'd like to see what you can do to my name, Carol (Ann) is not one that people have had much fun tweaking xD

That was exactly what I was thinking. I'm an iPlayer, 4od lover so I might need TV license for that. :s-smilie:

EDIT: Cazza works b.e.a.yoootifully. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 193
A fellow computer scientist will know, are you thinking of getting a laptop, desktop or both? I'm inclined to laptop for multifunctionality tbh, I might use the one laptop for work/study/leisure/music/TV etc etc, your thoughts, sir? :smile:

I think I'll just take my laptop, maybe upgrade to a desktop in 2nd/3rd year when one can get more for one's money and there's space enough to fit one into the room (since rooms get much bigger once you're renting yourself)

People who bring in £4000 Dell desktops strike me as a bit show-off-y, it's a lot of money for something they'll have better ones of in the labs and there's always the chance of theft, particularly in shared rooms.

Plus, transporting a PC tower half-way across the country doesn't sound fun; 200kg of ironmongery is quite enough, thank you very much :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by roblee
I think I'll just take my laptop, maybe upgrade to a desktop in 2nd/3rd year when one can get more for one's money and there's space enough to fit one into the room (since rooms get much bigger once you're renting yourself)

People who bring in £4000 Dell desktops strike me as a bit show-off-y, it's a lot of money for something they'll have better ones of in the labs and there's always the chance of theft, particularly in shared rooms.

Plus, transporting a PC tower half-way across the country doesn't sound fun; 200kg of ironmongery sounds quite enough, thank you very much :biggrin:

Laptop it is. :smile: 4 GRAND, YOU'RE JOKING?? My budget is like 500 quid! :s-smilie:
Reply 195
That was exactly what I was thinking. I'm an iPlayer, 4od lover so I might need TV license for that. :s-smilie:

EDIT: Cazza works b.e.a.yoootifully. :biggrin:

AHA! Jackpot - quoted from here:

You don't need a TV licence to watch catch-up television on services such as the BBC iPlayer. But increasingly programmes can be watched online as they are broadcast. Anyone watching live programmes on their computer will need a licence.

Merci, Google. ^^

So in short, if we're watching it in real-time - or close to that - then yes, licence needed. Otherwise it's FREE! :biggrin:

OOH, CAZZA. I LIKE. ^^
Original post by arianex
AHA! Jackpot - quoted from here:

You don't need a TV licence to watch catch-up television on services such as the BBC iPlayer. But increasingly programmes can be watched online as they are broadcast. Anyone watching live programmes on their computer will need a licence.

Merci, Google. ^^

So in short, if we're watching it in real-time - or close to that - then yes, licence needed. Otherwise it's FREE! :biggrin:

OOH, CAZZA. I LIKE. ^^

Ohhh me likey :biggrin: No TV license then. :biggrin:
i visited a friend who's currently enrolled in imperial recently, there were 2 common rooms. 1 with a flat screen, xbox with controllers and games, and a sofa. and the other with 2 PC's (meant for working but cmon really?)
+ my own laptop and i dont think ill ever have to go out...lol
Original post by roblee

Plus, transporting a PC tower half-way across the country doesn't sound fun; 200kg of ironmongery is quite enough, thank you very much :biggrin:

I was thinking about getting a double screen (Its so nice for programming :redface:) setup but I didnt think about the transport :/ Guess ill have to reconsider that
Reply 199
Original post by freefrag
I was thinking about getting a double screen (Its so nice for programming :redface:) setup but I didnt think about the transport :/ Guess ill have to reconsider that

Yeah it is much easier to code when you can have man open on the second monitor, but I'd imagine (at least until we all get settled in) that most of the programming will take place on lab computers so that shouldn't prove to be much of an issue.

Eurgh... Prolog. I'm going to hate first year :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending