The Student Room Group

HELP!

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaa Hi

I want to get something of my chest, I got 8 C's 3 B's at GCSE. I want to do Business Management at KCL, Queen Mary or anywhere else - I know the entry requirement will be high but will my gcse's hold me back?

im doing maths/business/sociology
(edited 13 years ago)
In a word, yes. Probably the main problem is that places like that are likely to ask for at least a B grade in maths and probably English, which you probably won't have. Many places ask for an A or even an A*, after a bit of Googling these two ask for a lower GCSE grade than I expected.

Business Management at KCL:
Compulsory subjects
Grade B at GCSE English and Maths required

Queen Mary:
You must have 5 GCSE grades at A-C grade, including B in English and B in Mathematics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
In a word, yes. Probably the main problem is that places like that are likely to ask for at least an A grade in maths and probably English, which you won't have.

If i retake english? i got an B in maths
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Skaterkid
Queen mary website says B in english/maths, i got a B in maths and i'll retake english if i have to

Yeah just checked their sites. Make sure they accept retakes though.

Also it's common for universities to require an A or A* in maths for business courses. These two don't but I know others do. Bath springs to mind as I didn't apply to it for this reason.

Even if you meet their minimum requirements for maths and English, you'll be competing against a lot of people with much better GCSEs. I know they're not particularly important to most places but it will be a disadvantage.
Reply 4

Can you even get the A-level requirements though?
Reply 5
Yeah just checked their sites. Make sure they accept retakes though.

Also it's common for universities to require an A or A* in maths for business courses. These two don't but I know others do. Bath springs to mind as I didn't apply to it for this reason.

Even if you meet their minimum requirements for maths and English, you'll be competing against a lot of people with much better GCSEs. I know they're not particularly important to most places but it will be a disadvantage.

Will Personal statement come along play?
Reply 6
Original post by Yawn11
Can you even get the A-level requirements though?

If i can clear this up then i can put 100% my a levels so i probably would
Will Personal statement come along play?

Of course. The rest of your application will need to be very strong to compensate for those GCSEs. Having AS levels - including maths and possibly even further maths - that are higher than the course requirements would be a good start.
Reply 8
Applicants to degree programmes who are taking AS/A-levels in the UK will normally be expected to pass four subjects at AS-level and pursue and pass three of these at A-level. For most programmes of study, departments will also consider applicants who have studied and passed five AS-level subjects but pursued and passed only two of these at A-level.
Please note that AS/A-level General Studies and AS/A-level Critical Thinking are not accepted by King’s as one of your A-level or AS-levels.

3 A levels & 1 AS level
AAB/B
or:
2 A levels & 3 AS level
A Level AA plus AS level BBB in additional subjects

Do you have that, or expect to have that?

Resitting your GCSE will count, though it won't look too good. If you get stunning A-levels, you can say you've changed/improved etc., and your GCSEs won't be as important. If not, they'll probably prefer candidates with better GCSEs and the same A-levels.
Reply 9
Of course. The rest of your application will need to be very strong to compensate for those GCSEs. Having AS levels - including maths and possibly even further maths - that are higher than the course requirements would be a good start.

I do maths ^_^ if i get an A at AS i'll beg the maths department to let me do AS further maths. What will i have to write in my personal statement for it to be really effective
Reply 10
If i can clear this up then i can put 100% my a levels so i probably would

Well for your sake I hope so.

But to put an end to this thread, it depends on what your predicted grades are.

If your predicted grades meet or exceed the requirements, then you might aswell try your luck, if not however, I think your chances of getting an offer would be unlikely.
I do maths ^_^ if i get an A at AS i'll beg the maths department to let me do AS further maths. What will i have to write in my personal statement for it to be really effective

That's a really vague question. There's some really good guides in the wiki about writing your PS that will give you a better answer than I can.
Reply 12
That's a really vague question. There's some really good guides in the wiki about writing your PS that will give you a better answer than I can.

Would uni's take into account of the area you came from :s-smilie: ( eg. applying from a bad sixth form/bad area)
Would uni's take into account of the area you came from :s-smilie: ( eg. applying from a bad sixth form/bad area)

I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending