The Student Room Group

Film Studies offers 2011

Anyone with Film studies offers.

Where have you applied to?
What are your offers?
How long did it take to find out you were offered a place?
What are firm and insurance choices going to be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just thought I'd comment and say you have 5 very good choices :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by FTstudies
Just thought I'd comment and say you have 5 very good choices :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Benammieh
Anyone with Film studies offers.

Where have you applied to?
What are your offers?
How long did it take to find out you were offered a place?
What are firm and insurance choices going to be?

Hi

I'm going for Warwick, East Anglia, Southampton, King's, and Bristol, only acknowledged by four of them, waiting for good news (hopefully)
Reply 4
Original post by ipro6ming
Hi

I'm going for Warwick, East Anglia, Southampton, King's, and Bristol, only acknowledged by four of them, waiting for good news (hopefully)

Which one is your first choice?
Not trolling or anything, just genuinely curious; what made you want to take Film Studies?

Not knocking it or anything, just wondering.
Reply 6
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Not trolling or anything, just genuinely curious; what made you want to take Film Studies?

I just have a very keen interest in film and my whole life i've been doing film related or tv related stuff and I just want to have a much deeper understanding of it...why do you ask?
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

I can see film studies being of far more interest to most people than law, not trolling or anything, but why would anyone want to study law
Reply 8
Which one is your first choice?

I love Warwick but Coventry didn't give me a very good first impression
The campus is great, LOVE the brand new art centre, they've got a art house cinema showing independent films and foreign language films from all over the world.

The course is good, 100% film theory and history :smile:

I also love UEA's film and tv course, very flexible (more free choices than Warwick's), but I'm afraid I don't like UEA's campus that much compared to Warwick's

If they both give me an offer I think it's gonna be a difficult choice but I think I will put Warwick as my firm

How about you?
Reply 9
I love Warwick but Coventry didn't give me a very good first impression
The campus is great, LOVE the brand new art centre, they've got a art house cinema showing independent films and foreign language films from all over the world.

The course is good, 100% film theory and history :smile:

I also love UEA's film and tv course, very flexible (more free choices than Warwick's), but I'm afraid I don't like UEA's campus that much compared to Warwick's

If they both give me an offer I think it's gonna be a difficult choice but I think I will put Warwick as my firm

How about you?

Oh I see well so far I have only been to Surrey University and I liked the campus it was really green and lush lol. But I have 3 offers so far and two being from my top choices Nottingham and UEA and I am hearing that Nottingham's campus is really nice and quite modern. However, they don't do a module I want to do which is screen writing. UEA's campus is really concrety but they do the module and their modules are really flexible. I am kind of torn between the two so I am going to the applicant's days in feb to see what they are like.
Reply 10
Hi,

I've applied for Warwick (Film Studies, Conditional: AAB; 14/12/10), Southampton (Film Studies, Conditional: AAB, 14/12/10), UEA (Film and TV, Conditional: ABB; 02/11/10), Lancaster (Conditonal: ABB; 24/11/12) and Leeds (Cultural Studies, should be confirmed by end of next week).

I applied in late October so they came through pretty qucikly. I' hoping to pick Warwick as my firm (it supersedes Southampton and it was my Firm choice last year) and UEA as my insurance. This all depends on how my English re-sit went :smile:
Reply 11
I've applied to Warwick. St Andrews and Lancaster.

pretty big step for me as I'm currently in uni on a science based course but I HATE it. my passion is and always has been film.
already got douche bags taking the piss over my decision. ughhh
Reply 12
Original post by sjwtwin
Hi,

I've applied for Warwick (Film Studies, Conditional: AAB; 14/12/10), Southampton (Film Studies, Conditional: AAB, 14/12/10), UEA (Film and TV, Conditional: ABB; 02/11/10), Lancaster (Conditonal: ABB; 24/11/12) and Leeds (Cultural Studies, should be confirmed by end of next week).

I applied in late October so they came through pretty qucikly. I' hoping to pick Warwick as my firm (it supersedes Southampton and it was my Firm choice last year) and UEA as my insurance. This all depends on how my English re-sit went :smile:

Hi,

Congrats! Great offers. What subjects are you taking at the moment? I'm planning to drop media studies as I don't really like the coursework unit :/ not sure if it will have a huge impact on my ucas application. And was the interview quite informal?
Original post by KingofSpades
I can see film studies being of far more interest to most people than law, not trolling or anything, but why would anyone want to study law

because law degrees are one of the best/most respected degrees around.
Original post by S129439
because law degrees are one of the best/most respected degrees around.

I don't find something of interest because the man next to me respects it
Original post by KingofSpades
I don't find something of interest because the man next to me respects it

i didn't say anything about interest. you said 'why would anyone want to study law?'. Then I gave you the main reasons.
Reply 16
Hi,

Congrats! Great offers. What subjects are you taking at the moment? I'm planning to drop media studies as I don't really like the coursework unit :/ not sure if it will have a huge impact on my ucas application. And was the interview quite informal?

Hi,

Thanks! Er... I took for my A' Level's Film Studies, English Lang/Lit and History. I didn't take a fourth AS as I was seriously ill.

I wouldn't drop your Media Studies, I sincerely believe it would impact your UCAS application. I mean, for me, the lack of a fourth AS was a problem as when I missed a grade (for several reasons), I didn't have a place anywhere (2010/2011).

It's best to grit your teeth and get stuck in, it will be worth it in the end. :smile:

I'm being pretty nosy, but was is your coursework unit?

It's looks good when the Department gives you an interview so don't worry! They're interested, they've seen you application and essay and they just want to see if it all matches up. Not to worry you, but make sure you really understand your essay and are able to back up any claims relating to Film Studies you made in your statement. Just show your enthusiasm and you'll be fine! :biggrin:

Have you applied for single honors?

I'm relieved I don't have one this year: I wasn't very well and as being one of the last to go in, my mind was a blank. I went on auto-pilot! I thought I done disastrously but they made offer for 2010/2011. I'm very fortunate as they've given me the chance again this year as I know it's an extremely competitive and highly selective course.

Which interview date have you chosen?
Reply 17
I got 4/5 offers which I am happy about because all the offers I really wanted I got and oxford brookes decided to reject my arse not that I am bothered. Now it is time to choose!
Reply 18
Original post by sjwtwin
Hi,

Thanks! Er... I took for my A' Level's Film Studies, English Lang/Lit and History. I didn't take a fourth AS as I was seriously ill.

I wouldn't drop your Media Studies, I sincerely believe it would impact your UCAS application. I mean, for me, the lack of a fourth AS was a problem as when I missed a grade (for several reasons), I didn't have a place anywhere (2010/2011).

It's best to grit your teeth and get stuck in, it will be worth it in the end. :smile:

I'm being pretty nosy, but was is your coursework unit?

It's looks good when the Department gives you an interview so don't worry! They're interested, they've seen you application and essay and they just want to see if it all matches up. Not to worry you, but make sure you really understand your essay and are able to back up any claims relating to Film Studies you made in your statement. Just show your enthusiasm and you'll be fine! :biggrin:

Have you applied for single honors?

I'm relieved I don't have one this year: I wasn't very well and as being one of the last to go in, my mind was a blank. I went on auto-pilot! I thought I done disastrously but they made offer for 2010/2011. I'm very fortunate as they've given me the chance again this year as I know it's an extremely competitive and highly selective course.

Which interview date have you chosen?

Hi

Thank you! Very detailed, helps a lot :biggrin:!
I actually have 4 AS levels in Film Studies, Media Studies, Drama/Theatre, and Maths. I'm now keeping them all 4 at A2 level and also doing an extended project (on Jean-Luc Godard!). The media coursework unit is a music video production and I have been really sick since Christmas, and I don't really have a real passion for this type of video production. My school already gave me an extension on the deadline (which is next Tuesday), but I'm afraid my group couldn't meet the deadline as we are really behind.

My choices are

BA Film
Warwick - Acknowledged, sent application in December so might take a while for them to consider whether or not to give me an interview
Southampton - Visit day invitation (most likely an offer)
King's - Acknowledged

BA Film and TV
UEA - Conditional AAB (must include media :/)

BA Drama
Bristol - Selection day invitation

AS grades are 3A1B and predicted A*AAB. (Maths, Film, Media, Drama). Hope that I'll hear from Warwick soon :smile:
Reply 19
Oh I see well so far I have only been to Surrey University and I liked the campus it was really green and lush lol. But I have 3 offers so far and two being from my top choices Nottingham and UEA and I am hearing that Nottingham's campus is really nice and quite modern. However, they don't do a module I want to do which is screen writing. UEA's campus is really concrety but they do the module and their modules are really flexible. I am kind of torn between the two so I am going to the applicant's days in feb to see what they are like.

I've been to Nottingham Uni for quite a few times (Jubliee Campus, which is fairly new compared to other buildings, and University Park Campus). Very environmental friendly and modern. in my opinion the Jubliee campus could be a bit quiet (or really quiet) in weekends, and I love the University Park Campus, a bit traditional (they've got the period buildings and stuff), again very environmental friendly. so if you like this type of study environment, Nottingham would be a good choice :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending