The Student Room Group

The very best sleep system for humans!

Hello:smile:

I'm keen to discover what the very best sleep system would be for humans if there was no work, distractions etc.

How many hours of sleep, and what time to go to bed and get up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by morris743
Hello:smile:

I'm keen to discover what the very best sleep system would be for humans if there was no work, distractions etc.

How many hours of sleep, and what time to go to bed and get up?

I think the recommended is 8 hours isn't it? I think it will vary from person to person ultimately though.
Reply 2
Isn't the best system where you take like little naps throughout the day instead of just one sleep at night?
My best is 7 or 8 hours during the night, and no naps during the day. If I sleep any more I feel all tired and lethargic. If I sleep any less I feel all sleepy.
What do you mean by best? Most efficient?

Tbh if I had no responsibilities I wouldn't have a system what so ever.
Reply 5
Original post by wm123
What do you mean by best? Most efficient?

Tbh if I had no responsibilities I wouldn't have a system what so ever.

I like your pic.
Reply 6
Sleeping twice in the day; one 90 minute nap, one 4 hr 30 minute sleep, both a few hours apart.
Probably close to what the rest of the great apes do - about 9 hours of actual sleep, but waking up regularly so it lasts closer to 12.
Reply 8
Original post by Aaargh
Sleeping twice in the day; one 90 minute nap, one 4 hr 30 minute sleep, both a few hours apart.

Source?! I'd love this to work lol
Reply 9
6 hours for me.
Reply 10
Source?! I'd love this to work lol

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jessa_gamble_how_to_sleep.html

Not very in depth, but concise at least.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/forums/health-fitness/390-biphasic-sleep-need-help.html

The second is a biphasic sleeping plan from a forum full of people who live in biphasic (Two sleep) or polyphasic (Many sleeps) cycles.
It depends what you mean by "best"...?
Reply 12
Original post by Blueflare
It depends what you mean by "best"...?

All types of best :smile:
Reply 13
I've slept for 3, maybe 4 hours max every night for a good 8 years now (from when my bedtime was no longer determined by my parents :p:).

Usually sleep at about 3-4am, wake up at 7. I feel fine, I'm used to it. Never liked sleeping much any way, feels like such a waste of time...I hate how the human body is so inefficient...we basically have to charge our batteries almost for as long as we want it to work. Can you imagine charging your laptop for 10 hours to get 10 hours of battery life from it? My MP3 player receives an hour's charge in one minute. Now that's efficiency :yep:

No time to waste, time is money!
All types of best :smile:

Uhhhhh well, the most efficient is multiphasic sleeping like Uberman, Everyman, etc. Depending on one's day time commitments. Google it.

I dunno about the other types of "best" like healthiest, or all that ****.
Reply 15
Uhhhhh well, the most efficient is multiphasic sleeping like Uberman, Everyman, etc. Depending on one's day time commitments. Google it.

Eek. Well. I'd like to be healthy also. So I'm done for it would seem:tongue:

Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by Imperatore
I've slept for 3, maybe 4 hours max every night for a good 8 years now (from when my bedtime was no longer determined by my parents :p:).

Usually sleep at about 3-4am, wake up at 7. I feel fine, I'm used to it. Never liked sleeping much any way, feels like such a waste of time...I hate how the human body is so inefficient...we basically have to charge our batteries almost for as long as we want it to work. Can you imagine charging your laptop for 10 hours to get 10 hours of battery life from it? My MP3 player receives an hour's charge in one minute. Now that's efficiency :yep:

Haha love your post, thanks for the input.
5 hours is more than enough for me
Reply 18

Apparently the polyphasic messes with your brain though. Makes you really good at menial repetitive stuff and terrible at creativity or learning.
Reply 19
Original post by Imperatore

Except sleeping isn't really like charging the batteries. You're not actually gaining energy when you sleep, it just feels like you do. Really eating is the equivalent of charging our batteries. Which isn't bad really if you consider that maybe about half an hour of eating can keep you going over a 24 hour period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending