The Student Room Group

6th form equivalent in Spain

Hi

My daughter will be 16 when we go to Spain in September. She will have completed her GCSE's in the UK before we go. She wants to go to school in Spain but we cannot afford a private school so a state school will be the way to go, but I am finding it hard to find any information.

I know there is the Spanish Bachillertato and the IB but the subjects offered are the more academic subjects and she would prefer music, drama, sociology type subjects. Are these available in Spain, Malaga particularly?

thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Big H
Hi

My daughter will be 16 when we go to Spain in September. She will have completed her GCSE's in the UK before we go. She wants to go to school in Spain but we cannot afford a private school so a state school will be the way to go, but I am finding it hard to find any information.

I know there is the Spanish Bachillertato and the IB but the subjects offered are the more academic subjects and she would prefer music, drama, sociology type subjects. Are these available in Spain, Malaga particularly?

thanks

A private school with IB is very expensive (14,000)
but for A-level it can be around 7000 euros (in malaga) - where exactly are you moving?
for example in calahonda you can find 6500 per year

Otherwise, if you want a state school it is going to be Bachillerato (it might depend on the school, but this is what is offered in Marbella)
there are 4 types. They have the same core plus:
Humanidades -> Latin, Greek , history and foreign language 2
Ciencias Sociales -> math, economies, history, foreign language 2
Ciencias de la salud -> physics, chemistry, biology, geology, foreign language 2
and ciencias e ingenierias -> physics, chemistry, math, technical drawing, foreign language

and the core are:
Lengua (Spanish and literature)
foreign language
Philosophy
science
sport
religion

which will be very hard, specially if she is not familiar with Spanish.

Let me know if you need additional information :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for that info about the bachillertato, I think she may find it hard as she's only done Spanish to GCSE level here.

There's no way we could afford private school. I'm hoping to be staying in Malaga city as I am going to be at the university for a year and I want my daughter to go to school.

I realise the school may not want to know if she's only staying a year but for her language to improve, to learn more about the Spanish culture, making friends and just experiencing a different life for a year, it's got to be the best way. Just organising it may prove difficult!

I take it there are no subjects like drama and music? Could she do these outside of school?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Big H
Thanks for that info about the bachillertato, I think she may find it hard as she's only done Spanish to GCSE level here.

There's no way we could afford private school. I'm hoping to be staying in Malaga city as I am going to be at the university for a year and I want my daughter to go to school.

I realise the school may not want to know if she's only staying a year but for her language to improve, to learn more about the Spanish culture, making friends and just experiencing a different life for a year, it's got to be the best way. Just organising it may prove difficult!

I take it there are no subjects like drama and music? Could she do these outside of school?

Thanks

Yes she can do them outside of school.
Most schools stop having those subjects in grade 9 but you might find some that still do.

The good thing about Spanish schools, specially in Málaga, is that they are used to students who don't speak Spanish, so most (if not all) state schools give free Spanish classes. This is a list of schools. You can contact them and ask them directly. I grew up in Spain, but when I first went there I only knew basic Spanish, so I had private classes with a teacher who taught me grammar. I have got a friend who moved to Marbella when she was 10, knowing no Spanish at all, the school gave her daily private classes and after barely a year she became very good at Spanish :biggrin:.

For more information : http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/educacion/
there are few state schools with the IB in Spain, but I dont know any Málaga.

Remember the types of Bachillerato I told you about?
there is ARTE as well info .
You should look for the schools that have this subjects, because many schools dont have it.

ART:
Dibujo Artístico I
Dibujo Técnico I
Volumen
Una materia optativa

you might find useful google translator :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi Big H, I was looking for information about how I can move to Malaga , Spain when my daughter is 16 years old ( next June 2016) And I came across your question on this website. I would like to know if you managed to move to Spain and successfully place your daughter into a sixth form?

Kind regards

Natalia Martin
Hi Big H, I was looking for information about how I can move to Spain when my daughter is 16 years old And I came across your question on this website. I would like to know if you managed to move to Spain and successfully place your daughter into a sixth form?

Kind regards

Natalia Martin
Reply 6
Hi, I am moving to Granada next September and my 16 year old has an interview next week in a semi-public school. Please can someone explain homolgation to me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending