The Student Room Group

Therapist at uni?

So I'm having a lot of problems atm. I had a turbulent home life as a child and parents with some serious problems. I was badly bullied throughout high school and its left its marks.

I've recently started having panic attacks again and feeling anxious a lot more. This is making it difficult for me to sleep and I'm starting to really distance myself from all around me.

I know none of this is healthy and I was told loooong ago that I should see a therapist. Is it possible to see one through Uni? Im at Edinburgh btw. It's just I think it'll help a lot more than the sleeping pills I was on before, but obviously I can't afford to pay. :/
the rapist at uni? :yikes:
Reply 2
Your university will probably have a counselling service; you might have to wait a bit, but it will be free :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Yolly
Your university will probably have a counselling service; you might have to wait a bit, but it will be free :smile:

Yeah they do. Does anyone have an experiences of a counsellor. I read someone on here thought that theirs made them feel like they had to "prove themselves" and just made the whole thing worse.
Reply 4
I do - it's been pretty useful. Mine doesn't put me under any pressure to prove myself.

Just the act of talking about your problems makes them seem more manageable in size, so after an hour my mind isn't spinning from problem to problem so much.
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
I do - it's been pretty useful. Mine doesn't put me under any pressure to prove myself.

Just the act of talking about your problems makes them seem more manageable in size, so after an hour my mind isn't spinning from problem to problem so much.

Yeah that's kind of what I needed to hear. Although I'm really not sure what to do...go to the GP because of all my panic attacks and night terrors...or go to a counsellor about the problems behind them....arrrrrrgh
Reply 6
Does it need to be strictly one or the other?

The uni councillor is probably on vacation till the first week of Jan (mine is) so I guess you'd be able to get a GP appointment first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending