Cardiac Cycle?

1. Relaxation of Ventricles and atria.
2. Blood enters atria from veins returning to heart
3. Atria fill with blood
4. Atria contract (atrial systole)
5. Blood passes into ventricles
6. Through atrioventricilar valves
7. Atrioventricular valves shut to prevent backflow back into atria
8. Ventricles contract (ventricular systole)
9. Blood passes out into arteries leaving the heart through open semilunar valves
10. Semilunar valves shut to prevent backflow.

Just reading through my notes, is this order correct?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by xMaGic
3. Atria fill with blood
9. Blood passes out into arteries leaving the heart through open semilunar valves

Thanks

looks good,but you might want to include stuff about pressure differences & changes in the chambers.:wink:
Which exam board btw?

see here http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/pageFlip.asp?c=BRR53 keep flicking the pages till you see page 37 (right hand top corner)

(its an OCR book preview)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hissyfit
looks good,but you might want to include stuff about pressure differences & changes in the chambers.:wink:
Which exam board btw?

see here http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/pageFlip.asp?c=BRR53 keep flicking the pages till you see page 37 (right hand top corner)

Thanks.
I will have a look at that now.
Also im doing OCR, Unit 1 exam in January :frown: !.
Is there an official Unit 1 thread where we can share notes and stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by xMaGic
Thanks.
I will have a look at that now.
Also im doing OCR, Unit 1 exam in January :frown: !.
Is there an official Unit 1 thread where we can share notes and stuff.

Don t think so,you could create one.
Original post by hissyfit
Which exam board btw?

How about Including things about SA node & AV node :smile:,

i.e:as the Sinoatrial node sends impulses through the atria walls, the atria walls contract forcing the atrioventricular valves open and blood moves out of the atia to the ventricles.

when the ventricles fill, Av node then sends impulses through the bundle of His and purkinjie fibers, causing the ventricle walls to contract, pressure increases and semilunar valves open forcing blood through the aorta and superior vena cava.

And also listen to this vedio, it's ridiculously helpful haha, I was actually murmurring throug the song in my biology test :L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32VObKw0gY

hope that helps you :smile:
Reply 5
Reply 6
If you're writing an essay...

Id also mention 'isovolumetric contraction' (when the two sets of valves are closed, the volume of the ventricle doesn't change and the pressure rises)
Also if you're talking about the electric cycle then mention how the nerves run down the septum and then through the ventricle to supply the papillary muscle. Its important that the contraction of the papillary muscles and ventricle occurs synchronously so that the integrity of the bicuspid value is maintained during the isovolumetric contraction phase (NB the chordae tendineae are connect the papillary muscles to the cusps of the bicuspid valve)

That shud get u extra marks!
Reply 7
Original post by Vazzyb
If you're writing an essay...

Id also mention 'isovolumetric contraction' (when the two sets of valves are closed, the volume of the ventricle doesn't change and the pressure rises)
Also if you're talking about the electric cycle then mention how the nerves run down the septum and then through the ventricle to supply the papillary muscle. Its important that the contraction of the papillary muscles and ventricle occurs synchronously so that the integrity of the bicuspid value is maintained during the isovolumetric contraction phase (NB the chordae tendineae are connect the papillary muscles to the cusps of the bicuspid valve)

That shud get u extra marks!

Amazing that you can remember all this! I've forgotten the details to most things; do you go over it in clinicals?
Reply 8
Original post by n1r4v
Amazing that you can remember all this! I've forgotten the details to most things; do you go over it in clinicals?

lol nah i remember this bit in particular because I ask it every year to people at school during mock interviews. Other than that, i forget things amazingly quickly. I reckon medical knowledge has a half life of like 2 weeks :P
Reply 9
Original post by xMaGic
3. Atria fill with blood

Thanks

Sounds right to me:biggrin:
Reply 10
Thanks guys! - It's not an Essay, i have the F211 OCR Biology AS exam soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending