The Student Room Group

Physics or Chemistry?

I've been thinking of what highers to sit next year... I'm not totally sure!
My school sit English and Maths a year early and I know I'm definetley taking them at higher ( got a 2 and 1 respectively).
At the SG prelims I got:
Biology 1
Computing 1
Geography 1
History 1
Graphic Communication 1
French 3

I think I'll do English, Maths, Biology and Computing but I'd kind of like to have another science. I know geography is supposedly the 4th science but I don't really want to do it.

I would do chemistry as it fits in well with biology, increasing uni choices I could have as I don't have a clue what to do after school. However, I'd like to do physics as it ties in well with maths and thats something I really like.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i dont know much about highers but both chemistry and physics are highly regarded and it depends what you like best, i do both at A level and they are both hard subjects,
if you prefer the mathsy side i would go for physics everthing can be sumed up in an equation, if you prefer remembering definitions and working out why rxns work and how, as well as enjoy a good chemical related practical go for chemistry, look at the syllabus' for the courses your school offer and make a judgement as to which sounds best :tongue:

hope that helps
Reply 2
Just go for whichever one you enjoy most if you have no idea what you want to do at uni.
Reply 3
Do one in 5th year then another in 6th year. I'd say go for physics but that's only cause I never did chemistry :wink:
:ditto: I was in a similar situation, and I did chemistry in 5th year and am crashing physics this year. For me the biggest factor in making the decision was that I pretty much knew I wanted to do something with Chemistry, but if you really can't deide you should probably go with the one you enjoy most, they're both really good subjects :smile:
Reply 5
I struggled with Chemistry in fifth year and I am sitting it again this year, but I've never done Physics before. It depends what you want to do at university. If you don't know what you want to do just choose which one you think you would enjoy the most. The Higher Chemistry course also contains a lot maths but I really don't enjoy it even though I love maths.
Reply 6
I do IB, but I did both and then dropped Chemistry because I hated organic memorisy stuff.

And Physics is AMAZING! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I do both (at Higher) but did Int2. I prefer Physics because I like maths and I find it easier. If you want to go and so something sciencey I'd advise choosing Chemistry since it's broad and encompases both Physics and Biology. However if you want to keep options open do Physics since you could do engineering. The gap between Int2 and Higher isn't a lot in both subjects (don't know about standard grade though)
geography as fourth science? :rofl: i thought it was always maths, chem, bio & physics.

anyway. i would choose chemistry since it's a wee bit more fun, and there's less to memorise than physics. there's loads of stuff in higher physics though ... though physics is easier. chemistry is harder, more challenging etc...

i also think that since you've got computing & maths, that forms a strong combo in itself. and so take physics would narrow it down.

chemistry FTW :smile:

Spoiler

I do both at Higher. I find Chemistry easier - I consistently get higher marks in Chemistry than Physics. What I would say is that most people I know who do two of the three sciences do Chemistry and Biology/Physics. I can only think of one person in my year who does Biology and Physics but not Chemistry.

It's unfortunate that you have no idea what you want to do. I suppose you could always take the other in S6. If you decide to do medicine (for example) then you'll need Chemistry, whereas if you want to do engineering or something like that you'd be more glad of Physics.

It might not be a bad opportunity to consider what you might want to do and then choose your Highers based on that. Failing that, I'd probably recommend Chemistry, but both are good subjects and you can always do the other in S6 (or of course join the 6-Highers club!).
Well I'd say (as others have said above) do the one which you enjoy more. I've never done SG or Higher Physics (mainly because I wasn't interested in it) but I've done Higher Chemistry and doing AH Chem this year too :smile: I know a lot of people who've done both and they liked and did far better in Chemistry, but Higher Chemistry really isn't too hard :p:

When we were choosing our highers last year, our teachers said to us that most people will either do both Biology & Chemistry or Physics and Chemistry, instead of Biology and Physics because bio and physics are less similar than the others. In Higher Chemistry, there is little parts relating to physics and biology :smile:
Reply 11
I'm in basically the same position with the same subjects except I'm trying to decide between Physics and Biology, Chemistry is a definite for me :biggrin: (even though all through S1/S2 I kept saying I'd drop it as soon as I could... :colondollar: )

Whilst Physics is probably more maths-y than Chemistry, both involve carrying out calculations and using equations etc. I'm doing int 2 Chemistry and SG Physics so I'm not really sure what it would be like crashing them. With Physics you could probably get away with just learning some of the basic principles to do with energy/electricity and stuff but Chemistry would involve a lot more background reading and understanding. Then again, Chemistry relates to Biology more and these two probably provide a better base if you do decide to do something sciency at uni, unless it's directly Physics related of course.

On a side note, has anyone here done six highers including 3 sciences + computing? I was considering it having done pretty well in my SG/Int2 prelims, but am a bit worried with everyone saying how much harder highers are, even doing 5.
Original post by (:emily.
I'm in basically the same position with the same subjects except I'm trying to decide between Physics and Biology, Chemistry is a definite for me :biggrin: (even though all through S1/S2 I kept saying I'd drop it as soon as I could... :colondollar: )

Whilst Physics is probably more maths-y than Chemistry, both involve carrying out calculations and using equations etc. I'm doing int 2 Chemistry and SG Physics so I'm not really sure what it would be like crashing them. With Physics you could probably get away with just learning some of the basic principles to do with energy/electricity and stuff but Chemistry would involve a lot more background reading and understanding. Then again, Chemistry relates to Biology more and these two probably provide a better base if you do decide to do something sciency at uni, unless it's directly Physics related of course.

On a side note, has anyone here done six highers including 3 sciences + computing? I was considering it having done pretty well in my SG/Int2 prelims, but am a bit worried with everyone saying how much harder highers are, even doing 5.

My friend sat 6 Highers in 5th year....and based on that I would advise against it. It is possible to get 6A's but the work load is rather heavy. Plus the fact that it really isn't worth it. When it comes to uni/employment 5A's is seen as fantastic so you really don't need the sixth. You would also run the risk of spreading yourself too thin, and ending up with 6C's or something :s-smilie:

That sounds a bit pessimistic, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, just that you should think about it very carefully before you decide.

After all you can always go back and do the sixth Higher in sixth year, that's what I did. 3 Adv Highers and Higher looks pretty good on an application too :tongue: So you may want to consider that :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Chemistry. Far more interesting, and the practicals don't suck either.
Reply 14
Original post by (:emily.

Well, to be perfectly honest, Higher Computing is a complete pisstake. It's pretty basic memorisation for the exam, and half the coursework is done by shopping for hardware online. Seriously, I doubt you'll have much more trouble in doing six highers than five.

Although in saying that, do you really need 6? Five highers is more than enough for uni. Plus, with the hell of jump from SG/Int 2, the change in workload will probably screw you over plenty (before factoring in a sixth subject).

Also, in response to the OP, do Chem!!!! :biggrin:

Higher Physics is total balls anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by Enzo-259
Well, to be perfectly honest, Higher Computing is a complete pisstake. It's pretty basic memorisation for the exam, and half the coursework is done by shopping for hardware online. Seriously, I doubt you'll have much more trouble in doing six highers than five.

So true.
Reply 16
Original post by Delaney
So true.

Although, having said that, I bet I get a C in it this year or something lol. :tongue:
Original post by spacepirate-James
geography as fourth science? :rofl:

:hmmm:
Original post by Heather with the Weather

:colondollar:

[trying to save myself: well, geography isn't seen, primarily, as a science with chem/bio/physics/maths taking the four 'slots'. though i don't doubt the scientific nature in studying geography; in fact, i realise it's probably more difficult than many other subjects (from a friend i heard). yeah ..... go rocks! :ahee:]
Original post by Heather with the Weather

Yeah, apparently so, but it is kind of like science I suppose...
Maybe not everyone would count it as one but the physical geography must kind of count because that's the way the world is, maybe not so much the human geography... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending