The Student Room Group

University, is it all worth it?

I realise that there have been many discussions on this subject already but more than anything I am looking for advice based on my personal circumstances which is why I am raising the big question again!

I APOLOGISE FOR THE ESSAY I JUST WANT DECENT ADVICE. THANKS IN ADVANCE TO THOSE WHO CBA TO READ ON!

I am currently a BUM. I have recently withdrawn from my course (Hospitality Management) at Bournemouth University. I chose to leave because I was not engaging with the course at all, I did not enjoy it and I felt it would not really benefit me when any tom dick and harry off the street could waltz into the Hospitality industry in any case.

I have given this a lot of thought and I am still no clearer about what to do with my future. I am stuck in my job as a shift manager at mcdonalds until September at least which is okay as I have debt to pay off! One thing i know for certain is that I do not want to end my life in that grease hole! Although I have a laugh at work I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life!

Now the majority of people I have spoken to feel I should not miss out on getting a degree and that I should start again come Sept. I have been weighing up options and I want to study something I will enjoy because thats where i went wrong last year! However I have only really enjoyed sociology at school and my only other interest is football really. That leaves me with Sociology and Football Studies. Both of which are regarded as worthlesss by most employers and people in general!

Now part of me says, is it worth the 20,000 debt? A more reputable degree would be likely to have a career waiting at the end as motivation. eg: teaching, architecture etc... However another part of me says, don't worry about money, do what you enjoy and the skills you pick up simply from university will be worthwhile in the end as well as connections and friends etc.... Also a degree is a degree no matter what subject especially for graduate schemes etc...

As i am useless with money another part of me says study close to home and save money on accomodation and have more of a disposable income with an option to go part time at McDonalds alongside my study which would enable to me to get a car again etc.... This all seems sensible but what about meeting NEW people and doing NEW things and learning those NEW life skills. Surely that takes any worth away from an already "WORTHLESS"degree?

I guess all in all, I dont want to regret not going in the future, but with cuts accross the board and the current economic climate leaving few options in terms of Fire Service, Police etc... (Jobs that also interest me) Surely there is no other option? I am simply scared of completing a degree, coming out with 20,000 debt, few job prospects and still being in that grease hole with other managers my age now earning twice as much due to their 3 years extra experience?!

Thanks in advance for those who bothered to read all of that, I am extremely grateful for your advice. :biggrin:

Mark
You think sociology is a 'worthless' degree when you started one in 'hospitality management'... ?

Ok then...
Reply 2
How old are you?
Original post by Flamin-Hot
I realise that there have been many discussions on this subject already but more than anything I am looking for advice based on my personal circumstances which is why I am raising the big question again!

I APOLOGISE FOR THE ESSAY I JUST WANT DECENT ADVICE. THANKS IN ADVANCE TO THOSE WHO CBA TO READ ON!

I am currently a BUM. I have recently withdrawn from my course (Hospitality Management) at Bournemouth University. I chose to leave because I was not engaging with the course at all, I did not enjoy it and I felt it would not really benefit me when any tom dick and harry off the street could waltz into the Hospitality industry in any case.

I have given this a lot of thought and I am still no clearer about what to do with my future. I am stuck in my job as a shift manager at mcdonalds until September at least which is okay as I have debt to pay off! One thing i know for certain is that I do not want to end my life in that grease hole! Although I have a laugh at work I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life!

Now the majority of people I have spoken to feel I should not miss out on getting a degree and that I should start again come Sept. I have been weighing up options and I want to study something I will enjoy because thats where i went wrong last year! However I have only really enjoyed sociology at school and my only other interest is football really. That leaves me with Sociology and Football Studies. Both of which are regarded as worthlesss by most employers and people in general!

Now part of me says, is it worth the 20,000 debt? A more reputable degree would be likely to have a career waiting at the end as motivation. eg: teaching, architecture etc... However another part of me says, don't worry about money, do what you enjoy and the skills you pick up simply from university will be worthwhile in the end as well as connections and friends etc.... Also a degree is a degree no matter what subject especially for graduate schemes etc...

As i am useless with money another part of me says study close to home and save money on accomodation and have more of a disposable income with an option to go part time at McDonalds alongside my study which would enable to me to get a car again etc.... This all seems sensible but what about meeting NEW people and doing NEW things and learning those NEW life skills. Surely that takes any worth away from an already "WORTHLESS"degree?

I guess all in all, I dont want to regret not going in the future, but with cuts accross the board and the current economic climate leaving few options in terms of Fire Service, Police etc... (Jobs that also interest me) Surely there is no other option? I am simply scared of completing a degree, coming out with 20,000 debt, few job prospects and still being in that grease hole with other managers my age now earning twice as much due to their 3 years extra experience?!

Thanks in advance for those who bothered to read all of that, I am extremely grateful for your advice. :biggrin:

Mark

-Personal development; friendships, new situations, moving from home, dealing with stress, social life, social broadening.
-Graduate jobs; able to apply for jobs which require a degree.
-Experience,- both personal, academic and such.
-Shows employers you're willing to do such and such
-knowledge,- if you like a subject, or want to work in a specific area,- you'd get this.

Loans and costs,- pretty much don't matter, i'll probably get shouted at for saying this; but just do it. It's just money, it's a loan and an investment, you pay it back in a "fair" way, written off and such.

Do it if it's for you, be careful and read about the subjects you're applying for.

SOCIOLOGY IS NOT A POINTLESS DEGREE, YOU MORON. YOU CAN GET THESE DEGREES FROM TOP UNIVERSITIES, AND GO ONTO WORK IN RESPECTABLE POSITIONS FOR GOOD COMPANIES. THEY'RE VALUABLE,- council, government, big companies, charities, university research, newspapers, policy formulation, thinktanks

To even get some jobs now, you need a degree,- even if it's not specifically said or a graduate job. To get a promotion or onto the career ladder, you need a degree. This does not mean that they actually are needed for the job or are valued,- but they are the norm.
Experience will get you somewhere, but a degree will help you get somewhere too,- on top of the social experiences and personal development, and fun.
The debt is nothing to worry about, it's not like a bank loan either OP.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
From what you have said I wouldn't advise you to go to university since it seems that you are just doing it for the hell of it rather than doing it because you enjoy the subject.
Reply 5
Hmm, personally I would go for the sensible option if I were in your position by living at home. You can still meet new people, have new experiences and all that jazz, even if you live at home. Working whilst studying is really beneficial and I wish that I could. Have you considered any other degrees at all? Maybe sit down with a huge list of degrees and see if any at all appeal to you. Nothing is certain nowadays, people are being made redundant left right and centre, so whatever you do, I'd say make sure it's solid and make sure that it will be worthwhile. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by ritchie888

Original post by ritchie888
You think sociology is a 'worthless' degree when you started one in 'hospitality management'... ?

Ok then...

Haha, knew someone would say that. Is business management worthless? because it is the same with a bit of cooking thrown in. Marketing, Accounting, Hygeine, Management, Sociology and Conext are topics. But nevertheless I didn't enjoy it. I know deep down neither is "worthless" it is just a FACT that by MOST people, sociology is considered an "easier" degree. Thats not my opinion its a general assumption by most i feel.
Reply 7
Original post by Linweth

Original post by Linweth
From what you have said I wouldn't advise you to go to university since it seems that you are just doing it for the hell of it rather than doing it because you enjoy the subject.

Erm, thanks for your advice I think... and thats also been said to me before.
However, what other options do I have? McDonalds?
Reply 8
Original post by Hooovan*

Original post by Hooovan*
Hmm, personally I would go for the sensible option if I were in your position by living at home. You can still meet new people, have new experiences and all that jazz, even if you live at home. Working whilst studying is really beneficial and I wish that I could. Have you considered any other degrees at all? Maybe sit down with a huge list of degrees and see if any at all appeal to you. Nothing is certain nowadays, people are being made redundant left right and centre, so whatever you do, I'd say make sure it's solid and make sure that it will be worthwhile. Good luck!

Thanks alot for your advice, and this is what i am likely to do because I am useless with money. The only things making me reconsider are living with parents? would it become a barrier between meeting new people n stuff. Also my girlfriend is down south at Winchester University which, if i stayed up here (Coventry) would be a bit far. Would i also find it more difficult to study with family n friends n part time work all getting in the way? Would i also have missed out on learning to live on my own?
Open university?

You could study (probably for free)
Live at home,
And get a job.
Reply 10

Original post by SPMS
How old are you?

Reply 11
If you enjoy Sociology and enjoy it, get a degree in it.

Regardless of what people say/think, a degree is never pointless. It shows you're dedicated to a subject for 3 years, it means you're willing to go that extra mile for something you feel passionate about and work hard for. Some might not lead straight into a job, but each degree teaches you skills you will need, regardless of it's a degree in Law, Hospitality Management, for God sake even Surf Studies has it's points if you actually think about it. Yes it's expensive, but a degree is still a degree, get a 2:1 or a 1st and you're career prospects are a lot higher regardless of the subject.

I'm hoping for a degree in History and hope to become a historian, but the skills I learn in history would help me go on to perhaps Law, accounting and many other prospects. Just because the degree is around one subject, doesn't mean it's restricted to that. If you have the passion and the skills, apply for a degree in whatever you will enjoy and go from there. You will meet people in University, have a good time and enjoy yourself. If you want to do it, do it. If not, don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending