The Student Room Group

Why does Falmouth Uni only ask for 220 points??

I'm kind of confused as to why Falmouth University College only asks for 220 UCAS Points? It’s supposed to be a fantastic uni and it’s in a great area and many graduates are very successful, so why does every course ask for 220 points?

If you're there or thinking of going there or know anything about it, that would be great, because I'm interested in studying there, but don't know why they only ask for that?
Cheers :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoe Edwards
It’s supposed to be a fantastic uni

Because it's not.
I'm kind of confused as to why Falmouth University College only asks for 220 UCAS Points? It’s supposed to be a fantastic uni and it’s in a great area and many graduates are very successful, so why does every course ask for 220 points?

If you're there or thinking of going there or know anything about it, that would be great, because I'm interested in studying there, but don't know why they only ask for that?

Lancaster for example is very high on the international league tables and national league tables but typically have lower entry requirements than say Manchester.
Take my subject, Manchester is ranked lower than Lancaster by like 30 places, yet Manchester is AAB and Lancaster is ABB

It's usually down to:
-> Standard of the department,- teaching is good so "lesser grade" candidates do better
-> They want to attract more students
-> Offer people who are predicted high but have a low entry requirement so people chose it/use it an as insurance
-> Are not oversubscribed/unpopular,- want to encourage applicants.

My guess it is 2 and 3,- maybe 2 the most.

Oh and high entry requirements are not usually indicative of a good university, and the vice versa.
I'd also say that it's not the most prestigious and highly rated university,- or anywhere near, so they need to "work harder" to attract students. (maybe?)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by super.teve
Lancaster for example is very high on the international league tables and national league tables but typically have lower entry requirements than say Manchester.
Take my subject, Manchester is ranked lower than Lancaster by like 30 places, yet Manchester is AAB and Lancaster is ABB

It's usually down to:
-> Standard of the department,- teaching is good so "lesser grade" candidates do better
-> They want to attract more students
-> Offer people who are predicted high but have a low entry requirement so people chose it/use it an as insurance
-> Are not oversubscribed/unpopular,- want to encourage applicants.

My guess it is 2 and 3,- maybe 2 the most.

Oh and high entry requirements are not usually indicative of a good university, and the vice versa.
I'd also say that it's not the most prestigious and highly rated university,- or anywhere near, so they need to "work harder" to attract students. (maybe?)

Thanks for that!!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lord_Farquad
Because it's not.

Realy? :frown: how come ?

It's not a redbrick university and to be honest, i'd never heard of it before.
That does not mean you won't do well and enjoy it there.

Reputation is something some people are about and others do not, and different universities excel at different subjects.

Don't worry about it, if you're keen to go there, do it.

Not everyone likes the same university, the same set up or same location.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/europe.html
Falmouth is not there,- Birmingham, Durham, LSE etc are and hence obtain more prestige in some people's view.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-drama-and-dance -> for the subject Falmouth is 41st,- which is not too bad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/may/10/universityguide-uc-falmouth-dartington-coll-arts cost of halls etc are not too bad either (Something worth considering, maybe?)
Reply 6
Original post by super.teve
It's not a redbrick university and to be honest, i'd never heard of it before.
That does not mean you won't do well and enjoy it there.

Reputation is something some people are about and others do not, and different universities excel at different subjects.

Don't worry about it, if you're keen to go there, do it.

Not everyone likes the same university, the same set up or same location.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/europe.html
Falmouth is not there,- Birmingham, Durham, LSE etc are and hence obtain more prestige in some people's view.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-drama-and-dance -> for the subject Falmouth is 41st,- which is not too bad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/may/10/universityguide-uc-falmouth-dartington-coll-arts cost of halls etc are not too bad either (Something worth considering, maybe?)

Aaaaw thank you for your help, everything seems ok now, have a good christmas :smile:)
Reply 7
Honestly, don't worry about this.

There are too many people on here who would have you believe that league table status is everything when choosing which university to go to, when really, the decision should be based upon whether you think you'll feel comfortable there, be able to work hard, achieve, and have a good social life :smile:
Original post by Lord_Farquad
Because it's not.

Not true at all, for Fine Art/Graphics/Illustration it's one of the top in the country.

What do you want to study?

My girlfriend is in her final year there for Fine Art. I've got a housemate who does the same thing at St. Martins, and objectively the quality of the work produced at Falmouth is much higher. My GF has had quite a few well known dealers interested in her work (it seems that they like to go down regularly).

For somethings (like the Arts) it's great, Hannah has plenty of studio space, really knowledgeable tutors who constantly push her to do the best work she can, as much as I dislike Falmouth (it's a really chilled place, I love the city) it seems an awesome place to unleash your creativity.

That being said, it's getting hit hard funding wise. They're getting rid of all full time art tutor staff pretty much (this is even before the cuts) and TBH some of their other courses look a little like a joke.
Don't be a dingbat.
because it ****
Reply 12
Because its basically an arts uni, meaning that they'll look more at portfolios than grades. They said to my friends also that a lot of the arty types they get are dyslexic or have trouble with maths meaning grades wise they're not the best...
Reply 13
Original post by Shaun1991
Don't be a dingbat.

excuse me?
Reply 14
Original post by Guy Secretan
because it ****

why?
Reply 15

Because that guy regards any Uni that isnt Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL or Imperial as only useful as firewood.

Original post by Guy Secretan
because it ****

Equally, this dude actually pays his own money to elevate the status of an account that he has modelled on a fictional character who slept with his own mother. Whilst this has nothing to do with his ability to judge universities, it is enough for me to automatically reject anything that he says.
Reply 16
Original post by jennywat
Because its basically an arts uni, meaning that they'll look more at portfolios than grades. They said to my friends also that a lot of the arty types they get are dyslexic or have trouble with maths meaning grades wise they're not the best...

REALLY?! :smile: :smile: Because I have Dyscalculia, (arithmetic dylexia) so its perfect :smile: Thank you for your help !! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by adam_zed
Because that guy regards any Uni that isnt Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL or Imperial as only useful as firewood.

Equally, this dude actually pays his own money to elevate the status of an account that he has modelled on a fictional character who slept with his own mother. Whilst this has nothing to do with his ability to judge universities, it is enough for me to automatically reject anything that he says.

Thank you for being wise AND funny!! :smile:
Reply 18
My best friend wants to study graphics at Falmouth :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by winter_mute
What do you want to study?

My girlfriend is in her final year there for Fine Art. I've got a housemate who does the same thing at St. Martins, and objectively the quality of the work produced at Falmouth is much higher. My GF has had quite a few well known dealers interested in her work (it seems that they like to go down regularly).

For somethings (like the Arts) it's great, Hannah has plenty of studio space, really knowledgeable tutors who constantly push her to do the best work she can, as much as I dislike Falmouth (it's a really chilled place, I love the city) it seems an awesome place to unleash your creativity.

That being said, it's getting hit hard funding wise. They're getting rid of all full time art tutor staff pretty much (this is even before the cuts) and TBH some of their other courses look a little like a joke.

I want to study English and creative writing, and yes I've heard for this course many writers do lectures and workshops with is great :smile:
Eeek..... it's not the English course that looks like a joke is it?
Thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending