The Student Room Group

is pahrmacy a mickey mouse course?

im applying for pharmacy and my mum shouted at me she says why you apply pharmacy go be doctor. i axe my cousin and my mate called mutozza and they both says that pharmacy is mickey mouse cos only doctor and dentist rejects apply for it. is this true?

and i spelt pharmacy wrong cos i was in a rush my dad was shouting at me cos he wanted to use the computer for skype
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by brapkid55
im applying for pharmacy and my mum shouted at me she says why you apply pharmacy go be doctor. i axe my cousin and my mate called mutozza and they both says that pharmacy is mickey mouse cos only doctor and dentist rejects apply for it. is this true?

and i spelt pharmacy wrong cos i was in a rush my dad was shouting at me cos he wanted to use the computer for skype

No it is not, it is a professional role in society, its a difficult degree to do as well . Do not listen to what your family says, very few people on my course are medicine/dentist rejects, they all wanted to do pharmacy because they liked it
Reply 2
Obvious troll is obvious. First of all, a mickey mouse degree is a degree that does not actually help you get into a particular profession. i.e a media degree that the media industry does not want. Secondly and I am sure there are many people on TSR who would agree with me on this. I applied to study Pharmacy because I am genuinely interested in drug mechanisms, pathophysiology and most importantly organic chemistry. I know that many people (mainly medicine/dentistry applicants) like to put Pharmacy as their 5th choice but even universities want you to be fully commited to the course. I have heard about people not getting offers for Pharmacy even with predictions like AAA mainly because it wasn't their first choice. Here are some examples of a mickey mouse degree:

Hairdressing-salon management University of Derby
Fashion-and-lifestyle products Southampton Solent University
Watersports science and development University of Portsmouth
Sports-surfaces management Glyndwr University
Contemporary circus and physical performance Bath Spa University
Equestrian psychology Glyndwr University
Cruise management University of Plymouth
Surf science and technology University of Plymouth
Pop-music performance University of East London
Sexual-health studies University of Central Lancashire
(edited 13 years ago)
Pharmacy is definitely not mickey mouse. Secondly, you can prioritise in your mind but you can no longer do so on the UCAS form. This makes sure that the whole process is fairer. I believe universities are able to see your other choices after you have got in, however. You can no longer add choices for certain universities
Reply 4
Firstly, I can't believe that this thread is even alive! And secondly, Pharmacists are one of the main healthcare professionals.... they help improve the quality of life for individuals, and bring about those drugs everytime your mum has headaches, pains or any other illnesses... so next time she or anybody else tells you that pharmacy is a mickey mouse course tell them they're better off taking a trip to disney land next time they're ill
Reply 5
If Pharmacy was a mickey mouse degree then would it be a 5 year masters course? You get a degree at the end of it, you get a profession with a salary that indicates you're very important. You have a role in the community which is very significant and it is a very intensive course with high grades to get in.

The only time I've ever heard it being a 'mickey mouse course' is by medicine students who believe that it's the soft option to go into if they don't get into medicine. But the fact is, where would doctors be without Pharmacists??
Reply 6
Original post by Ninny
If Pharmacy was a mickey mouse degree then would it be a 5 year masters course? You get a degree at the end of it, you get a profession with a salary that indicates you're very important. You have a role in the community which is very significant and it is a very intensive course with high grades to get in.

The only time I've ever heard it being a 'mickey mouse course' is by medicine students who believe that it's the soft option to go into if they don't get into medicine. But the fact is, where would doctors be without Pharmacists??

I totally agree with you!! Pharmacy is all chemistry..and chemistry is not a ''mickey mouse course'' I think its a really good degree, and people i know really like it.
Original post by de_monies
Pharmacy is definitely not mickey mouse. Secondly, you can prioritise in your mind but you can no longer do so on the UCAS form. This makes sure that the whole process is fairer. I believe universities are able to see your other choices after you have got in, however. You can no longer add choices for certain universities

You used to be able to prioritise your choices? I never knew!
Reply 8
your mum's clearly doesn't appreciate how hard it is to get a Masters Degree.

also, your parents seem to shout at you a lot :frown: