The Student Room Group

Earthquake???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy :)
I did~! Why are the US Geological Survey confirming it? Unless US doesn't stand for United States ¬_¬

Because it's pretty easy to triangulate the origin of a significant earthquake from anywhere on the planet, especially for Europe which is not seismically very active.
Reply 21
The weather is starting to scare me.
Reply 22
I felt it here... everything goes down in Whitehaven!!
Reply 23
No earthquake here :hmmm:
Original post by Seasick Steve
Perhaps a group of fat people were trying out 'aerobics'.

Anyway nothing in bristol, probably wont make national news
Original post by A is for Awesome
Anyone else feel anything about 5/10 mins ago? I'm in Cumbria and my whole house just shook, it's all over facebook.

How bad was it?
^ Magnitude 3.6 earthquake but it did visibly shake houses and cause significant physical movement from what I've heard, woke people up, shook houses

so yeah.. and in England, extreme weather increase ftl!
I didn't feel anything, but then again, I was sleeping. :colonhash:
Reply 28
I am amazed there haven't been more people making jokes about it them making the earth move from their bed or something like that.

Anyway I am in London and have felt nothing.
Just your mum getting out of bed.
Reply 30
I heard it rather than felt it, I live by morecambe bay in the grange/cartmel area
This is quite funny as I'd just watched the Mock the Week episode on BBC2 where they were talking about how unlikely/ineffective earthquakes were in the UK.
Original post by Shortarse1
This is quite funny as I'd just watched the Mock the Week episode on BBC2 where they were talking about how unlikely/ineffective earthquakes were in the UK.

Me too, the whole thing about Earthquake training and how it was pointless!
Reply 33
Original post by Lucy :)
I did~! Why are the US Geological Survey confirming it? Unless US doesn't stand for United States ¬_¬

The USGS operates internationally - they're not just confined to earthquakes and volcanoes in the US.
Earthquake nowhere near a tectonic plate edge on 21/12/10

End of the world proposed 21/12/12

Coincidence much?
Original post by Hooovan*
The weather is starting to scare me.

Earthquakes have nothing to do with the weather.

There was a small earthquake here a few years back. Lasted for about 15 seconds and made one tile fall off our roof:biggrin:
Reply 36
I was in bed falling asleep, felt the floor/bed shaking and heard pipes rattling and quite a loud rumbling.. went on for about 3-5 seconds where I was. Dad thought the boiler had exploded, and my Facebook feed was filled with 50 or so earthquake-related posts within about a minute haha ^^
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending