The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by fire2burn
I'm difficult to buy for so they just gave me a cheque for £800 instead so I could find something myself.

£800? Wow, I honestly think that's more than I've had spent on presents for me by my parents in my whole life so far. Or at least, it wouldn't be much more than that as a total.
Original post by aja89
B.O. much?! :wink:

Omg how rude is that? His personal hygiene is perfectly fine thank you.

He goes through a lot of deodrants because he has a job where he is constantly on his feet walking around, carrying things, pushing things. I imagine he continuously uses them in order to smell presentable when dealing with patients. I'm sure you would sweat too if your job was physical :rolleyes:
Original post by Polly1101
So your dad basically gives you £50 per week towards his presents?
My parents would much rather that i only spend £20 on them knowing that i've spent 4 hours working, to earn the money for their present....

....S'just saying:dontknow:

Well he doesn't know it's gone towards his gifts :rolleyes: he gives me money for uni supplies, for food, any anything else I might need. He specifically told me not to spend it on Christmas gifts, but of course i'm not likely to let Christmas come around and give him nothing. Once the money goes in my bank account, it is mine, therefore I may spend it how I wish. I don't see the problem in spending it on Christmas gifts.
Reply 283
Original post by CookieDoughLove
So i've been talking to a few people (teens like myself (19), and they say on average at Christmas they get like 10-12 gifts from the parents Which i'm a little shocked at, because I usually get between 30 and 40 (I thought this was normal) :confused:

So are they just not as spoilt, or is it about normal?

How many do you guys get? I'm curious now! It's not something I considered before.

Wow, who knew people could be so negative! :rolleyes:

I've no idea how many presents I normally get but don't understand why everyone's neg repping you when all you did was start off quite an intersting discussion :smile:. (So I've pressed the plus sign to make up for it :biggrin:)

There's nothing wrong with getting any particular number of presents, some people may just get more at Christmas while others have more spent on them at other times of the year. (And by buying so many presents for your Dad, it almosts evens out, so it's just like giving money back to each other :biggrin:)

I also really enjoy giving presents and love Christmas shopping :biggrin:. I have to do it between November and December to get the really Christmassy feel though.

Have a lovely Christmas.
Reply 284
I've never received more than £20 on a holiday in cash. If I don't get presents, I...don't get presents, I don't get craploads of money to make up for it.

I don't understand people saying, "I only get £100!"

...only? That's a lot to receive.
Reply 285
i usually get about 4 or 5? and i don't ask for anything, christmas isn't about how much money you want to throw at someone
exactly, I'm expecting nothing this year lol

Original post by Cicerao
I've never received more than £20 on a holiday in cash. If I don't get presents, I...don't get presents, I don't get craploads of money to make up for it.

I don't understand people saying, "I only get £100!"

...only? That's a lot to receive.
Don't really have a set amount of presents every year, usually my mum spends about £100, so if I ask for a console or something I'll literally get 1 present, or if I don't ask for anything in particular I'll just get lots of smaller presents. Although I get two sets of presents since dad and mum are divorced so I'm lucky in that sense.
Reply 288
I think the op needs to remove the silver spoon from his anus personally
I don't normally have a set amount each year, i'm not expecting much this year as i know for a fact my parents have brought me a macbook and a pair of ugg boots :smile:

Normally i tend to get one expensive present, and then stuff like clothes, my birthday is in january so i'll just get clothes then :biggrin:
Reply 290
my parents usually bought what i needed as present, maybe one or two. this Christmas, they bought a pair of ugg boots for me. i eager to have a pair long before. but it's a little pity, because they bought them online. when i signed the parcel, i knew what it is. so on christmas day i have no surprise. in any way, i am still very happy!:tongue:
about 4 or 5 presents from my parents. i seriously can't believe some people get 30-40 presents! wow.

i guess my parents make a bigger deal out of birthdays than christmas though.
30-40?! omg! :O
I usually get about 4, and then one bigger one.....e.g. last year I got; a college bag, a pair of earrings, new socks, english text book, and then a winter coat.

30-40....wooooow lol
Reply 293
Never 30-40 that seems a hell of a lot of presents for one person haha!
Usually i get one bigger present: maybe a dvd player or something

Or for my last christmas i got £50 and then some little gifts like books and make up.

It depends on what we have spent money on through the year, this year im not expecting much because we are going on a big holiday in July.

I'm happy to get anything really, i prefer just spending the christmas with my family and having a HUGE meal :biggrin:
Usually 1 or two presents from my mum. I find my dad really thoughtless with presents, last year it was 'here you go', £400 in an enevlope, which is meaningless to me.
Reply 295
I usually get a few things to unwrap from each of my parents e.g CD , DVD , bath stuff,chocolate plus some money.
Original post by heartimplode
Usually 1 or two presents from my mum. I find my dad really thoughtless with presents, last year it was 'here you go', £400 in an enevlope, which is meaningless to me.

Wouldn't you rather have the money than a couple of presents which you didn't want though? Can't go wrong with giving people money.
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I didn't say they were "good" presents. I get cheap things too! :smile: For example, I wanted clothes this year, and my Dad gave me £100 to go find some clothes, bring them home and be wrapped :rolleyes: and I think out of that I picked up around 8 tops.

I get maybe 1/2 main expensive presents and the rest are things like clothes (high street), dvds, perfume, etc.

Perfume isn't a small present, this is my "main" present. I will probably get a dvd and chocolate in addition to this.
£700 on present is so excessive! We will probably have about £150 spent on all 3 of us, but Christmas is still always the best day of the year! :biggrin: Presents really don't matter.
My mu usually gets me a few DVDs and a bit of money.

Up until last year my dad and stepmum would get something big like last year it was a pair of Timberlands and before that a recording desk. They also threw in a bit of money and a stocking of little bits n pieces.

I mostly ask for money though so I can get stuff by choice etc.
Original post by PapaShmurff
Prepare for awkward silence when they pull out a sex swing :awesome:

:awesome: !!!

Quick Reply

Latest