The Student Room Group

How to get an A in Biology AS Unit 1 exam?

I'm an A* student and really really reeeally want an A in this exam coming up. I do 4 A-levels and (unexpectedly) find biology the hardest. I feel like I know everything and I'm doing so many exam-style questions and past papers and I've read through the textbook - The exam board I'm on is AQA btw - but I'm still not getting anywhere near an A! I hate the markschemes too.
What do I doooo? Please help :frown:

And I'm thinking of doing biology for A2 as well. :/
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do as many past papers as possible and have the mark schemes to see exactly what they want, Also read through the text book over and over until you've basically memorised the topic's.
I did this and was a few marks off an A :biggrin:
Revision guides-

Reply 3
I find the CGP books really useful, that's all I used for AS, and i only dropped something like 10 marks in all exams overall i think. So i'd reccommend getting one of those.

Another tip, make sure you use the correct scientific words, you can have all your theory spot on but you could lose several marks for having one or two words wrong. Also if you're stuck on a question, not sure if this works (I've done it), write down everything you know about that topic area and how it could possibly link in with the question
Reply 4
I do AQA human Biology and I lost 4 UMS in the entire AS level (3 on the EMPA, 1 on unit 2) - my tip would be to use the Nelson Thornes textbook, and practise the questions in there - they're really useful.

Also - I don't know if you know this, but an A in biology is usually around 65-70% raw marks, not 80%, just in case you've been doing yourself a disservice!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
i agree with others - nelson thornes textbook, its full of summary questions testing basic knowledge, application questions which are 'how science works' questions, and exam style questions at the end of every chapter. If you do these, make notes on areas you're unsure of, and the past papers i'm sure you'll be fine. I did this and got 94%... so it works!
Reply 6
AQA exams tend to be wishy washy at the best of times! really tighten up on key terms for the various topics and try and make yourself some set answers for the 7marker questions such as ecological succession, phagocytosis, factors affecting enzyme action etc
Other than that you've just got to revise & find practice questions to get used to how the questions are phrased and what they're looking for, its the old cliche of what you put in is what you'll get out.
Reply 7
Thanks guys :smile: I'll do more reading and making sure I use the right terminology.
But seriously, can I not get a mark for saying 'enzyme activity decreases'. How would I know I had to say ''reduction'' in enzyme activity'. Ah well, I'll keep trying..
Does anybody have past papers for aqa biology unit 1 from before 2009? (even if it is the old spec as they're still similar right?) Cheers.
Reply 9
I have more but it won't let me attach them all..
Original post by SugarMouse.
Aaand another one..

Cheers :smile:
I also really want an A in the Biology exam and have been getting straight As on every test (90%+) aswell as the mock paper. I did this by going over exam papers and questions as much as I could after every topic and also self-taught some chapters as it makes it easier to understand.

I've learnt all my notes, if I revise my notes continuously, do all legacy papers (20 of them) and the current papers aswell as the specimen paper, will that be enough to get me an A? It may seem like a stupid question but I've been working hard and some people have got 90%+ in this thread so if anyone can help me out with any advice, please quote me. Thanks.
Original post by LifeIsGood
I also really want an A in the Biology exam and have been getting straight As on every test (90%+) aswell as the mock paper. I did this by going over exam papers and questions as much as I could after every topic and also self-taught some chapters as it makes it easier to understand.

I've learnt all my notes, if I revise my notes continuously, do all legacy papers (20 of them) and the current papers aswell as the specimen paper, will that be enough to get me an A? It may seem like a stupid question but I've been working hard and some people have got 90%+ in this thread so if anyone can help me out with any advice, please quote me. Thanks.

Where are the legacy papers?

And that should be fine for an A :cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Wow, this question could have been written by me. I also feel like I know everything but just can't get the right words out when it comes to the past papers...

Anyway, practice is key. Look at the markschemes to see how the exam board thinks.
Reply 15
does anyone know the grade boundaries for the AS biology AQA modules (unit 1 and unit 2)?
Reply 16
It's always 80% for A, 70% for B, etc..

I don't think reading through textbooks really cuts it, at least not for me. I used the textbook and my class notes to make my own notes (handwritten) for the entire syllabus, using the syllabus as a checklist to make sure I covered absolutely everything. I would then go through my own notes and summarise them. I'd also make a list of the words I had to define (they will be noted in the syllabus) and learnt them off by heart. Then lots and lots and lots of past papers, mark them, and you'll see patterns on what you need to say to hit the marks. I got 100% in all A Level Bio exams.
Original post by bsblitter
does anyone know the grade boundaries for the AS biology AQA modules (unit 1 and unit 2)?

I've at Jan09 & Jan10 it's 38/60 = A so roughly you need 40 marks. In June, it's about 45/46 marks :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by LifeIsGood
I've at Jan09 & Jan10 it's 38/60 = A so roughly you need 40 marks. In June, it's about 45/46 marks :smile:

Wait whaaat?? 38/60 is an A??
Reply 19
I got a 100% UMS in this unit, it's 50% about knowing your stuff, I mean every detail and 50% about reading the question and interpreting it properly, past papers will help with this, Biology AQA is the sort of subject that you do better in than you expect as long as you know your stuff and concentrate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending