The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yawn11
Edit to be more specific: I MEANT WHY ARE THEY AUTOMATICALLY CALLED BLACK AS OPPOSED TO BEING WHITE? THEY'RE 50-50 IN GENES AFTER ALL.

Just a random observation. Like every now and then in history this person will be the "first black" person to achieve so and so, and then they tend to be actually mix raced.

For example:

Best Golfer - Tiger woods - mix race (except it wasn't white mixed in).

First black guy to win racing tournament - Lewis Hamilton - Mix race.

First black president - barack obama - mix race.

First black MP - forget her name - but she was mixrace.

I mean wtf? Do white people just cast out their own as soon as their diluted?

you make a very good point
why call them black
why not white
after all
they are 50 percent black and 50 percent white
so what makes them black?
is it because white people or white society is too proud to have that
do they feel it is watering down their blonde hair blue eyes
was adolf hitler right?
Original post by Psyk
It's the "one-drop" rule. If you're a little bit black, you're black. A lot of black people in the USA (and in the UK probably) have significant white parentage. I think this is stupid, it doesn't really matter whether you're black or white. What's wrong with just saying "One of my parents has dark skin, my other parent has light skin"? But I guess people are still to some extent culturally segregated by the colour of their skin so they feel a need to pick one of them.

This is bascially the answer...
Reply 42
I consider black as dark african. Anything that isn't white is considered 'black' in society, which isn't really correct.
Original post by TheSownRose
It wasn't just a nose job - he changed colour, FFS!

He lightened his skin too, possibly to even out the effects of vitiligo or because he wanted to. So what? Plenty of black people who are self concious about their blickness do it. Tyra Banks had an entire show on it with all these black women trying to whiten their skin and the skin of their children.
I've seen loadsa white people continuously tan their skin too.
Reply 44
You really want to bring a person who wanted to be white into a debate about black v. white people?

He had vitiligo. He didn't choose to become white, he had a disease which made him lose his skin pigmentation. It got to the point where his body was mostly white, so it made more sense to use make up to cover up the brown patches rather than paint his entire body brown.
Reply 45
You really want to bring a person who wanted to be white into a debate about black v. white people?

That's not what this 'debate' is. Well, it wasn't until you came along.
Because if a mixed race person is "the first black" something it is likely they would be victim to the same racism that stopped other black people reaching a certain position before them, regardless if one of their parents was white.
Original post by Elipsis
There are about 1 billion more black people in the world than mixed race people... So numerically maybe there have been more successful black people, but percentage wise perhaps not.

And do you have any statistics to back that statement up?

And it's hardly retardedness for black people to claim mixed race people as their own.

The fact their skin colour is darker (albeit lighter than a normal black person) still makes them a target for racial discrimination, which Barrack Obama himself experience throughout his career as he mentioned in his books. He was proud of his mixed race heritage but he certainly considered himself to be a proud black man and African-American.

It's not like a hardened fascist is going to look at a mixed race person and say "oh he/she also has white lineage hence I won't call him/her ....... etc". They see the skin complexion and base their prejudices on that.

He may be mixed race but he certainly walks and talks like a black man and he is certainly proud to be one and every African-American should be proud that someone from their community managed to overcome so many racial and social barriers and achieve a dream the likes of Malcolm X, Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King tirelessly fought for but could never have imagined would become a reality in their wildest dreams.
Reply 48
Lol. OP probably cherry picked his bible quotes too.
Reply 49
Original post by sleekchic
Oh come on. You only need to take a look around. Retarded comments about Obama not being black enough seem to spring around. The fact is there are people in both races who wouldn't consider mixed-race people as one of them.

Yeeees, but there is a much higher proportion of Black people who would consider him Black than White people who would consider him White.

Original post by Elipsis
I think the OP was referring to the retardedness of blacks claiming him as their own because they have such extremely limited achievement in any field that isn't entertainment or sport. The fact is calling him black is the same as calling him white - except if you called him white it might be more appropriate because the black parent he had ran off and left the whites to raise him.

Someone hasn't heard of the 'one-drop' rule...
Original post by Warrior King
which Barrack Obama himself

Despite your correcting OP over his spelling of "Barrack" Obama, it is in fact you who is wrong.
Original post by truthypants
Despite your correcting OP over his spelling of "Barrack" Obama, it is in fact you who is wrong.

but how do you even know that? how do you know he doesnt have sticky keys?
Reply 52
Lol, I think it's so funny that some of the 'Black' people mentioned in this thread are actually mixed race, e.g. Malcolm X and Mohammed Ali :rofl:

I think the One drop rule still very much exists. I find it much easier to describe myself as Black rather than mixed race, as a lot of people, Black, White, whatever seem to have a problem with it...
Original post by truthypants

Ah so it is.....

But my post still stands and I find it rather baffling you could neg rep my statement highlighting the great achievements made by prominent black people. If it was for the spelling correction then fair enough.
Original post by The TSR Star.
He lightened his skin too, possibly to even out the effects of vitiligo or because he wanted to. So what? Plenty of black people who are self concious about their blickness do it. Tyra Banks had an entire show on it with all these black women trying to whiten their skin and the skin of their children.
I've seen loadsa white people continuously tan their skin too.

I wouldn't be bringing them into this debate either - they've made their decision that the other is where they want to be.

I don't think many people who tan do it with the intention of being thought of as black, though.

Original post by Psyk
He had vitiligo. He didn't choose to become white, he had a disease which made him lose his skin pigmentation. It got to the point where his body was mostly white, so it made more sense to use make up to cover up the brown patches rather than paint his entire body brown.

There were also a lot of depigmentation drugs found in his house after his death.

Original post by EskimoJo
That's not what this 'debate' is. Well, it wasn't until you came along.

It was an oversimplification - I'm aware it's actually "why do black people consider white/black mixed race to be black, where white people don't?"
Original post by rlw31
Lol, I think it's so funny that some of the 'Black' people mentioned in this thread are actually mixed race, e.g. Malcolm X and Mohammed Ali :rofl:

I think the One drop rule still very much exists. I find it much easier to describe myself as Black rather than mixed race, as a lot of people, Black, White, whatever seem to have a problem with it...

because of slavery, most african americans aren't even fully black. like muhammad ali's parent(s)
Reply 56
So having 3 of the biggest selling albums of all time, winning the most number of Grammy Awards of any artist/band, being one of the first major Black/African-American artists to have their music/videos played on mainstream radio/tv, pretty much a celebrity all over the world. There isn't a corner of the world that doesn't know who Michael Jackson is. The same could be said of the Beatles. Not so much the Stones but The Beatles and The Stones certainly didn't hold the sort of popularity and appeal in South America, Africa, parts of Asia and the rest of the world that Michael Jackson did.

The Beatles didn't really create a decade. Defined it perhaps. I would say more contributed to it.

The 60s were created and defined by so many people and events; JFK and his asassination, moon landing, Beatles, Stones, Civil Rights movement (and figures like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King), 1966 World Cup (from an English perspective), Muhammad Ali's rise to boxing fame.

Michael Jackson was one of the defining artists of the 80s.

I'm not saying the Beatles and Stones didn't make a lasting contribution but I couldn't say they had as much lasting and enduring appeal as Michael Jackson. Well the Stones certainly not. The Beatles have managed to stay at the forefront and seeing as Michael Jackson only just passed away in 2009, time will only tell if his music will stand the test of time.

Popularity as a marker of quality seems a rather absurd way of judging an artist. A simple look at the top 10 albums of all time shows that Michael shares that accolade with the likes of The Backstreet Boys, Shania Twain, and the Dirty Dancing sound track... Furthermore Jackson was much more of a performer than a true musician, and he relied heavily on Quincy Jones to create much of the music; with Quincy out of the picture and with Michael left to write his own music we end up with his latest album which is a pile of crap.

The Beatles on the other hand have proven themselves as completely timeless, as both musicians and writers. Their music actually says something, and they defined and created entire genres with their work. They were also instrumental in shaping an entire generation. Michael Jacksons work is so much more of a cheap thrill than The Beatles. With such an important part of being a well rounded player missing from Jacksons tool box I don't think he can ever really be compared.
Original post by Yawn11

As geneticists are all but unanimous in rejecting the concept of race on a genetic basis this thread is a bit redundant.

Who cares whether they're black, brown, yellow or beige. They're just people.
Reply 58
Original post by The TSR Star.
eh?

Well you're clearly going round picking holes in people's descriptions of mixed race people... Just wondered if you've got some sort of personality defect which makes you be really picky & annoying?
Reply 59

P.S. You spelt Barrack Obama wrong.

The irony is beautiful.

Latest

Trending

Trending