The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
I wouldn't be bringing them into this debate either - they've made their decision that the other is where they want to be.

I don't think many people who tan do it with the intention of being thought of as black, though.

So I can't bring them into the debate, but you can destroy the original debate and turn it into about how you believe MJ wanted to be white. Yeah, you don't think so, but you are sure that Michael never had vitiligo, you know that he wanted to be white.

I see.
Reply 61
Original post by The TSR Star.
because of slavery, most african americans aren't even fully black. like muhammad ali's parent(s)

Yeah I know...
Original post by Steezy
Well you're clearly going round picking holes in people's descriptions of mixed race people... Just wondered if you've got some sort of personality defect which makes you be really picky & annoying?

no but it really annoys me in general whenever people assume that mixed race just means black and white.
Reply 63
Original post by Warrior King
Ah so it is.....

But my post still stands and I find it rather baffling you could neg rep my statement highlighting the great achievements made by prominent black people. If it was for the spelling correction then fair enough.

The OP never implied black people haven't made achievements. Jesus you PC lot need to actually read and stop being offended by things that aren't even offensive. He was asking why when mixed race people make great achievements they're refferred to as black.

It's the same question as why is Andy Murray reffered to as Scottish, but an English athlete like Lewis Hamilton is suddenly British. Why isn't he reffered to as English? Or Murray as British. One rule for one another rule for the other.
Reply 64
Because they look more black usually.
Original post by Elipsis
I think the OP was referring to the retardedness of blacks claiming him as their own because they have such extremely limited achievement in any field that isn't entertainment or sport. The fact is calling him black is the same as calling him white - except if you called him white it might be more appropriate because the black parent he had ran off and left the whites to raise him.

I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time seeing as you have proved yourself time and time again to be ruthlessly thick but what you have said is incredibly thick. I don't know why people act like calling someone like Obama, black is a new phenomenom. Mixed-raced (black-white) have been claimed by black people and seen by society at large, as black for generations, its not a new thing. I bet you would have no doubts that he was a n.i.g.g.e.r if he was just some car thief in Chicago and I have no doubt you would probably use him as an example to try and further broadcast your warped, racist views
Original post by insoms
The OP never implied black people haven't made achievements. Jesus you PC lot need to actually read and stop being offended by things that aren't even offensive. He was asking why when mixed race people make great achievements they're refferred to as black.

It's the same question as why is Andy Murray reffered to as Scottish, but an English athlete like Lewis Hamilton is suddenly British. Why isn't he reffered to as English? Or Murray as British. One rule for one another rule for the other.

he implied that black people didn't excell in their respective fields and that those that did happened to be mixed race. My list proved otherwise.

Andy Murray is referred to as British hence he's the British Number 1 tennis player.

It's not about being part of a PC brigade which is a term that seems to be banded about quite a lot.
Reply 67
Original post by truthypants
Despite your correcting OP over his spelling of "Barrack" Obama, it is in fact you who is wrong.

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!"

I'll remember to do it later, I promise!
Reply 68
Original post by sleekchic

Original post by sleekchic
So now mixed race people aren't black enough for you?

Who cares anyway? Oh and this could easily read: "Do black people just cast out their own as soon as their diluted?"

If you wanted to, you could take the time and compile a list of all achievements by black people and you would probably a significant number of 'black' people on the list.

not really, black people dont call obama white do they?
Original post by Elipsis
Popularity as a marker of quality seems a rather absurd way of judging an artist. A simple look at the top 10 albums of all time shows that Michael shares that accolade with the likes of The Backstreet Boys, Shania Twain, and the Dirty Dancing sound track... Furthermore Jackson was much more of a performer than a true musician, and he relied heavily on Quincy Jones to create much of the music; with Quincy out of the picture and with Michael left to write his own music we end up with his latest album which is a pile of crap.

The Beatles on the other hand have proven themselves as completely timeless, as both musicians and writers. Their music actually says something, and they defined and created entire genres with their work. They were also instrumental in shaping an entire generation. Michael Jacksons work is so much more of a cheap thrill than The Beatles. With such an important part of being a well rounded player missing from Jacksons tool box I don't think he can ever really be compared.

Michael Jackson wasn't a musician then was he? I seem to remember him being able to play the piano and he did write a number of songs himself.

Being an artist is all about being a performer and a musician and you don't have to be able to play an instrument to be a good artist.

Cleary your opinion is biased against Michael Jackson. Can't be compared? LOL that's how seriously your statement can be taken.

I'm guessing you'd rate bands like Korn and Slipknot above Michael Jackson because they played instruments (albeit terribly)?
Reply 70
And do you have any statistics to back that statement up?

And it's hardly retardedness for black people to claim mixed race people as their own.

The fact their skin colour is darker (albeit lighter than a normal black person) still makes them a target for racial discrimination, which Barrack Obama himself experience throughout his career as he mentioned in his books. He was proud of his mixed race heritage but he certainly considered himself to be a proud black man and African-American.

It's not like a hardened fascist is going to look at a mixed race person and say "oh he/she also has white lineage hence I won't call him/her ....... etc". They see the skin complexion and base their prejudices on that.

He may be mixed race but he certainly walks and talks like a black man and he is certainly proud to be one and every African-American should be proud that someone from their community managed to overcome so many racial and social barriers and achieve a dream the likes of Malcolm X, Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King tirelessly fought for but could never have imagined would become a reality in their wildest dreams.

He isn't from their community though. He lived in a white family, and went to school in a white community. The only part black people have had in his development is when his father sewed his seed and legged it. He may well have faced racial discrimination along the way, but the biggest hindrance to black people is coming from black communities where there is little aspiration to do anything but sports or entertainment (as your list of black achievers highlights rather well). If Obama is black he is by far the whitest black guy in the world, I wouldn't even rate him on a scale of 1-10 in terms of blackness much higher than Bill Clinton.

2% of America i.e. 6 million people are mixed race, compared to 37 million black people. If you expand it to the world over to include Africa, where there are very few mixed race people, you can see where I estimated the 1 billion figure.
Reply 71
Its not always the case that mixed people excel though I understand what you're getting at. What you say may be because of a hybrid (dunno if i'm spelling it correctly) created by the mixing of genes. I saw a programme on it. However there are so many black people who have gotten so far more black then mixed, I'd say so I would have to dispute the fact that black people who excel tend to be mixed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by TheSownRose
There were also a lot of depigmentation drugs found in his house after his death.

To make the rest of his skin whiter...
Reply 73
Michael Jackson wasn't a musician then was he? I seem to remember him being able to play the piano and he did write a number of songs himself.

Being an artist is all about being a performer and a musician and you don't have to be able to play an instrument to be a good artist.

Cleary your opinion is biased against Michael Jackson. Can't be compared? LOL that's how seriously your statement can be taken.

I'm guessing you'd rate bands like Korn and Slipknot above Michael Jackson because they played instruments (albeit terribly)?

I'm not talking about ability to play an instrument. I'm talking about ability to be an independent artist. You seem to have entirely confused the fact he was well produced, well choreographed, and well advertised, for him being a superior artist to everyone else. I am simply saying that yes he was very good, but he certainly wasn't the best because he doesn't inspire people to think or do anything.
And how about Pele, Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Michael Jackson (yes he was black), Sam Cooke, Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Shaquille O' Neil, Eddie Murphy, Oprah Winfrey, Whoopi Goldberg, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Will Smith, Usain Bolt, Linford Christie, Condeleeza Rice, Don King, George Foreman, Magic Johnson.......................................

They all excelled in their respective fields and low and behold they were black!

Your argument just blew up in your face.

P.S. You spelt Barrack Obama wrong.

did you read his argument?
Please kindly do so again
his argument was about mixed race people
in one case, a race both black and white.
in equal proportion 50/50
to such people, why are they called black
and not white,
afterall,genetically, they have a right to be called either.

you naming many succesful black people in terms of some peoples eyes, is totally irrelevant. The op's argument was not that only mixed race black people are succesful...his argument was about mixed race people being called black, when clearly, they can be called white too. what argument were you reading.

here you harry potter, voldermort, orlando bloom
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time seeing as you have proved yourself time and time again to be ruthlessly thick but what you have said is incredibly thick. I don't know why people act like calling someone like Obama, black is a new phenomenom. Mixed-raced (black-white) have been claimed by black people and seen by society at large, as black for generations, its not a new thing. I bet you would have no doubts that he was a n.i.g.g.e.r if he was just some car thief in Chicago and I have no doubt you would probably use him as an example to try and further broadcast your warped, racist views

If he was mixed race and raised by a black family i'd say he was black, but he wasn't. All you ever do is come on to post 1 reply to me, then get owned then you don't post again. I don't see how black people can try and claim his as their achievement when they played zero part in his success, I mean given the amount of black absentee fathers (I believe around 50% as Obama himself pointed out) one was bound to land a child into a good family sooner or later. Now run along.
Original post by .Ali.
Because they look more black usually.

nope
but they are both black and white
50/50
they have a right to be either
you can call him the first white president
whites tend to be so annoyed
so digusted at the idea of their 'pureness' being watered down
they are prejudiced pigs tbh
Original post by sixthformer
did you read his argument?
Please kindly do so again
his argument was about mixed race people
in one case, a race both black and white.
in equal proportion 50/50
to such people, why are they called black
and not white,
afterall,genetically, they have a right to be called either.

you naming many succesful black people in terms of some peoples eyes, is totally irrelecant

here you harry potter, voldermort, orlando bloom

Are all your sentences
written as one liners
?

Do you sense make all at?

What does irrelecant mean?

Also the black people I named are generally accepted as having made an outstanding contribution in their respective fields.

Or is that too much for

you too understand?

Kindly.
Jesus christ, another race thread?! WHATS HAPPENING TO TSR?!
Are all your sentences
written as one liners
?

Do you sense make all at?

What does irrelecant mean?

Also the black people I named are generally accepted as having made an outstanding contribution in their respective fields.

Or is that too much for

you too understand?

Kindly.

you attacked me, instead of my argument...
re-read my post i edited it.
and citing succesfull black people means nothing in this argument
the op never mentioned that only mixed race people known as black are succesful..
that is not at all part of the argument, so citing such people is irrelevant...
his argument is that, if someone is 50% black and 50% white, if you can call them black, they have every right to be called white too

Latest

Trending

Trending