The Student Room Group

How many pressies do your parents give you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by heartimplode
Usually 1 or two presents from my mum. I find my dad really thoughtless with presents, last year it was 'here you go', £400 in an enevlope, which is meaningless to me.

While £400 is a lot of money, and very generous, I do understand where you're coming from - I would always rather get presents than money, particularly from my parents. That's even more true now that I'm at uni - money would end up going on rent or food.

What I'm surprised at is the number of people who get presents from their mum and their dad separately - I'm assuming the majority of these have parents who aren't together? I suppose it just shows how different families have different traditions and ways of doing things though.
Original post by DesignFreak
Isn't Christmas a pagan holiday anyway?

That's Samhain/Halloween :wink:
Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds
That's Samhain/Halloween :wink:

hm, i heard it somewhere, not sure.
i just wanted to get that christian guy to stfu :colone:
I receive perhaps 10 'proper' presents (books, DVDs, clothes, ipod-type-things) and then lots of little stocking fillers such as chocolate coins and facemasks :cute:
Original post by Katie_T
Never 30-40 that seems a hell of a lot of presents for one person haha!
Usually i get one bigger present: maybe a dvd player or something

Or for my last christmas i got £50 and then some little gifts like books and make up.

It depends on what we have spent money on through the year, this year im not expecting much because we are going on a big holiday in July.

I'm happy to get anything really, i prefer just spending the christmas with my family and having a HUGE meal :biggrin:

And I thought I was the only one. Christmas is the only time I *really* get to see my extended family (I do find the word 'family' a bit strong here though) but it's all fun and like you say, a HUGE meal with all the bits thrown in. Additional to that is that my dad and stepmum have a massive stock-up of booze so it's just an excuse to get drunk. I must remember to try and nick a bottle of wine from under the stairs this year. I wanna get smasssshhheddd :teehee:
Original post by DesignFreak
hm, i heard it somewhere, not sure.
i just wanted to get that christian guy to stfu :colone:

Nar, mate. Witches/Pagans celebrate Crimbo but without all the Jesus business. They do it in their own special ways. Samhain, however, is a time of celebration as it's the time when the moon is at it's fullest and therefore more powerful.

(As you can tell, I read up on these things)
Reply 306
My mum gets really excited about Christmas... she starts Christmas shopping in September, usually. Many people have said I am extremely easy to buy presents for. My mum also knows me very well.

Soooo, I would say I get a lot of presents for Christmas. I still get a stocking (tradition), and under the tree, about 30 from my mum, and one/two each from other close relatives (my family also get into the present buying thing a lot).

It's rubbed off on me too, and I LOVE buying people presents ^_^. I wouldn't be surprised if I've spent over £200 on presents this Christmas, but I'm not keeping track really :smile:.
Reply 307
Original post by mint123456
Perfume isn't a small present, this is my "main" present. I will probably get a dvd and chocolate in addition to this.
£700 on present is so excessive! We will probably have about £150 spent on all 3 of us, but Christmas is still always the best day of the year! :biggrin: Presents really don't matter.

I think it probably depends on what perfume it is as theres a big range of prices of perfume, I have two perfumes and one of them cost £45 and one of them cost £5.the £5 one was a "small" present last Christmas and the £45 one was a present from about 3 friends. although I get your point that people seem to get rather big presents then thing there small ones :confused:
Reply 308
Only a few but I don't mind as my parents have 3 other children to take care of. :smile:
Urk, who counts their presents!? That's kinda unpleasant.

I've been watching this thread and I'm wondering if this could maybe be explained if the Op and Op's dad do not really buy anything else except food for the rest of the year and use Christmas to buy everything they need or want for the next 12 months until the next Christmas. This would not be very normal, but it would make the huge volume of gifts seem a bit more reasonable. Is that the idea?
Reply 310
Original post by Fang_RedDragon

I've been watching this thread and I'm wondering if this could maybe be explained if the Op and Op's dad do not really buy anything else except food for the rest of the year and use Christmas to buy everything they need or want for the next 12 months until the next Christmas. This would not be very normal, but it would make the huge volume of gifts seem a bit more reasonable. Is that the idea?

I have never counted my presents; my number is just a guess. I don't really get presents at any other time of year from my parents. Maybe a couple on my birthday, but nowhere near what Christmas is like :tongue:.
Original post by Fang_RedDragon

Pretty much. We may treat ourselves to the odd thing eg ipod if we need one (if the current one has broken), but otherwise we just wait until Christmas. If I know i'm in need of a new phone, or new dvds are out (September onwards) then i'll just put them on my Christmas list and he does the same.

I only counted them one year because I knew I had a lot, I was curious as to how many were there. It wasn't an act which was intended to make me sound like a brat, I didn't do it to think right there is two less than year, or that I wanted to know exactly how many were there, I was just curious.

Oh, we don't make a big deal of birthdays either. I usually get 1 gift or money for my birthday, same for him, and then we go all out at Christmas.
Reply 312
30-40?! :lolwut: Where do you put them all once you've opened them? My room wouldn't be able to fit 30-40 presents in it on top of the stuff I already have.

I usually get about 6 presents, give or take a few. I'm getting less each year though, because I don't ask for as many random things any more. :claus:
Reply 313
Usually two or three.
We don't have a lot of money for Christmas, I get 5 and they tend to be like books, DVD's, make up... the most expensive thing I got last year was perfume. I'm 16, and this has always been how much I've.

Does it really matter though? I've always had things I like because my parents out thought into what they want to get me, rather than just buying everything off my list. And it's not like it's important anyway, I like spending time with my whole family and Christmas and nice food :smile:
Original post by racaha
30-40?! :lolwut: Where do you put them all once you've opened them? My room wouldn't be able to fit 30-40 presents in it on top of the stuff I already have.

I usually get about 6 presents, give or take a few. I'm getting less each year though, because I don't ask for as many random things any more. :claus:

I'd start binning stuff :smile: Eg, throw out old dressing gown, slippers.

Obviously some gifts are fairly small (perfumes, jewelry).

I don't get many gifts on the large side so that's not a problem. Maybe 1 or 2.

I think the main problem is storing dvds. I'm running out of space :redface:
Original post by boba
I think it probably depends on what perfume it is as theres a big range of prices of perfume, I have two perfumes and one of them cost £45 and one of them cost £5.the £5 one was a "small" present last Christmas and the £45 one was a present from about 3 friends. although I get your point that people seem to get rather big presents then thing there small ones :confused:

I guess so. And yes my posh cousin got Ugg boots in her stocking :O.
Original post by LauriC
We don't have a lot of money for Christmas, I get 5 and they tend to be like books, DVD's, make up... the most expensive thing I got last year was perfume. I'm 16, and this has always been how much I've.

Does it really matter though? I've always had things I like because my parents out thought into what they want to get me, rather than just buying everything off my list. And it's not like it's important anyway, I like spending time with my whole family and Christmas and nice food :smile:

Of course it doesn't matter. Christmas is what you want it to be.

For example in our household, it's all about the presents (bear in mind we use this as an opportunity to replace things/get things we want/need. We all look forward to a nice big Christmas dinner of course, but I must point out that Christmas dinner in our household is no different to a sunday dinner so again, nothing special. I spend Christmas day with the same people I spend the rest of the year with, so it's no big deal. (I live with my Gran (when not at uni), and see my Dad weekly (but he works Christmas day), so spending time together is nothing out of the ordinary for us two :smile:

I do however understand how some people may get less because they may get more during the year. Or maybe they get a family holiday paid through the year? And then there is those who rarely see their family members, in which case I can see why Christmas would be a good time for a nice family get together.

Everyones circumstances are different :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 318
Usually one main present and a few small ones. I'm not very good at picking out present ideas for them any more though. Gone are the days of randomly picking out of the Argos catalogue :tongue:

But to be honest my fave part is the Christmas dinner. Gimmie that and I'm happy! :biggrin:
Original post by mint123456
I guess so. And yes my posh cousin got Ugg boots in her stocking :O.

How big was her stocking? :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending