The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Perhaps they use the UKCAT scores because many applicants are internationals and this is one fair way of differentiating candidates... Obviously exams such as IB, A-levels etc differ so it is rather hard to compare them. UKCAT is just something everybody has in common...
Original post by ukcathater
True! hence my username!

Oops.

I have never bothered to read you Username properly so have always thought you were "ukcatheter" haha...that clears up quite of the few questions I had! :colondollar:
^^ same.

SO FRICKING MUCH. :erm:
Original post by spacepirate-James
^^ same.

SO FRICKING MUCH. :erm:

Sorry, but what are you referring to? :colondollar:
Original post by garlicbreadman
Sorry, but what are you referring to? :colondollar:

i always thought his name was "UK Catheter" spelt wrong. :colondollar:
Original post by spacepirate-James
i always thought his name was "UK Catheter" spelt wrong. :colondollar:

Oh...sorry, I thought you might be referring to UK catheter as well
HAHAHA.:biggrin:

So Glad I'm not the only one who thought that lol.
Maybe I should change my username! But I really do hate the ukcat test it's a load of absolute rubbish . I know someone who did quite well and admitted he guessed loads of questions. But his chances are now better than mine as a result. Oh well that's life I suppose!

I know!
I honestly think a lot is down to luck, making it unfair.
If we can meet the academic requirements for Medicine which are already very high, surely we have the aptitude to do well. I know there are many people with top grades who have no social skills but the UKCAT doesn't even distinguish between them...that's what interviews are for, to act as that sieve.

Oh well, don't know what this world is coming to...taking the easy ways out the unis are :mad:
Maybe I should change my username! But I really do hate the ukcat test it's a load of absolute rubbish . I know someone who did quite well and admitted he guessed loads of questions. But his chances are now better than mine as a result. Oh well that's life I suppose!

If you go to an interview with that frame of mind of "that's life," personally I think you will do well, because yep, that is life, acceptance is a mature outlook.
Ugh... Just got an invitation to interview guys - i was so ecstatic; only to realise it is on the date of an examination. I've emailed them in the hope that they'll rearrange but in the email they make a rearrangement sound very unlikely under any circumstances.

I guess I'll just wait.

Anyone got any stats on the percentage of applicants that get invited to interview/ the percentage of interviewees that get offered places?
Reply 309
Original post by Shellfish002
Ugh... Just got an invitation to interview guys - i was so ecstatic; only to realise it is on the date of an examination. I've emailed them in the hope that they'll rearrange but in the email they make a rearrangement sound very unlikely under any circumstances.

I guess I'll just wait.

Anyone got any stats on the percentage of applicants that get invited to interview/ the percentage of interviewees that get offered places?

Congrats! May I ask, where are you from? I've heard they interview Scottish people in December and the EU/internationals and most English in February... Just trying to see if my theory is valid.

I know there are about 500 people called for an interview but i suppose they dont offer more than 200 places... Not sure though... just a guess
Original post by teafil
Congrats! May I ask, where are you from? I've heard they interview Scottish people in December and the EU/internationals and most English in February... Just trying to see if my theory is valid.

I know there are about 500 people called for an interview but i suppose they dont offer more than 200 places... Not sure though... just a guess

s/he is from England as s/he has A-levels and GCSEs in his/her signature!
Reply 311
s/he is from England as s/he has A-levels and GCSEs in his/her signature!

Ah thanks.. just figured out how to read signatures :rolleyes:

Wonder how she got it so early... I thought they'd be starting to send interviews again at the middle of January... Hope this means we'll be hearing really soon as well! Fingers crossed for all of us!:biggrin:
Original post by teafil

The other guy was right, yes I'm English! I only got the email today... the date of interview is 25/01/11. It sounds like a pretty valid theory to me.

Also, thanks...:smile: Those odds are pretty good imo!
Perhaps they're starting the 'second stage' now where they send out interviews to English/European people? Good luck anyway; hopefully you should get yours soon :smile:
The other guy was right, yes I'm English! I only got the email today... the date of interview is 25/01/11. It sounds like a pretty valid theory to me.

Also, thanks...:smile: Those odds are pretty good imo!
Perhaps they're starting the 'second stage' now where they send out interviews to English/European people? Good luck anyway; hopefully you should get yours soon :smile:

Not good news for me as I am a Scottish Applicant :frown:
Original post by teafil

:erm:

i heard that they offer a lot more offers...
Not good news for me as I am a Scottish Applicant :frown:

I wouldn't worry if I were you; nothing is set in stone - it's just a theory! Keep your fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 316
Whe did you get this info because if it's true Im heading for another rejection without interview:frown:

To be honest I can't remember for sure... I'm not sure about the 200 offers made after the interview, but I feel very very confident about the 500 interview offers. I know about it from a long time so I must have heard about it from a reliable source. Perhaps when I called them... or... jeez i'm getting old!

Anyway if you guys didn't hear about it then i suppose I might be mistaking (even though as i said I have the feeling I'm right). Anyways keep your spirit up!

Mind if I ask, did you include in your PS about readings you've done? I've heard that they care about extra reading and stuff?
Original post by teafil
To be honest I can't remember for sure... I'm not sure about the 200 offers made after the interview, but I feel very very confident about the 500 interview offers. I know about it from a long time so I must have heard about it from a reliable source. Perhaps when I called them... or... jeez i'm getting old!

Anyway if you guys didn't hear about it then i suppose I might be mistaking (even though as i said I have the feeling I'm right). Anyways keep your spirit up!

Mind if I ask, did you include in your PS about readings you've done? I've heard that they care about extra reading and stuff?

I included 3 science journals I read (New Scientist, Scientific American, and Student BMJ website)

But my low UKCAT will probabaly outweigh my P.S.
Original post by teafil

I mentioned reading the student BMJ, being interested in Angeogenesis and the diet's effect on the metastases of cancer cells, reading the work of 'Oliver Sacks' (neurologist) and an EPQ on The Korsakoff Syndrome.
I mentioned reading the student BMJ, being interested in Angeogenesis and the diet's effect on the metastases of cancer cells, reading the work of 'Oliver Sacks' (neurologist) and an EPQ on The Korsakoff Syndrome.

OMG...I don't even understand half of the stuff u just mentioned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending