The Student Room Group

Applying for chemistry with HNC and previous experience in a laboratory

Hey

I'm currently on a lab apprenticeship which means I work five days a week, one of them being day release to study a National Certificate in Applied Science. I'm hoping to go on and study a Higher National Certificate in Applied Chemistry. My only concern is that this will affect the universities I go to when I eventually decide to go (and study chemistry). For this reason I'd like to know:

What reputation does the HNC hold with respect to universities?

Will taking A levels part time better my chances of getting into a university (e.g. taking two A levels alongside my HNC)?

Will the fact that I have experience in an industrial laboratory enhance my choices?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by addylad
Hey

I'm currently on a lab apprenticeship which means I work five days a week, one of them being day release to study a National Certificate in Applied Science. I'm hoping to go on and study a Higher National Certificate in Applied Chemistry. My only concern is that this will affect the universities I go to when I eventually decide to go (and study chemistry). For this reason I'd like to know:

What reputation does the HNC hold with respect to universities?

Will taking A levels part time better my chances of getting into a university (e.g. taking two A levels alongside my HNC)?

Will the fact that I have experience in an industrial laboratory enhance my choices?

Thanks!

If you're going to do a chemistry degree you're going to need A-level mathematics (or equivalent) in addition to your chemistry background. Otherwise you'll struggle to understand a hell of a lot of the course content.
Original post by Inkerman

If you're going to do a chemistry degree you're going to need A-level mathematics (or equivalent) in addition to your chemistry background. Otherwise you'll struggle to understand a hell of a lot of the course content.

So assuming I take an A2 mathematics in addition to the above, it will be sufficient?
Reply 3
Original post by addylad
So assuming I take an A2 mathematics in addition to the above, it will be sufficient?

Why don't you e-mail the university departments yourself?

Why don't you e-mail the university departments yourself?

I was hoping someone would have experience of such a situation.
You are unlikely to find someone with that kind of experience on TSR as most of the people on here have come through to university directly from school.

Does the institution you are studying your HNC not offer a full degree in Chemistry? If so they should recognise your HNC as a first year level of study and allow you to progress on to the second year of a degree directly.
Original post by ChemistBoy

Original post by ChemistBoy
You are unlikely to find someone with that kind of experience on TSR as most of the people on here have come through to university directly from school.

Does the institution you are studying your HNC not offer a full degree in Chemistry? If so they should recognise your HNC as a first year level of study and allow you to progress on to the second year of a degree directly.

I know that with the new HNC spec, it can be converted to a degree with two years at university; I don't believe my college offers anything further than the HNC. My only concern is that studying a HNC on its own will hinder my choice of universities. I was considering taking one or two A levels in the hope that universities would recognise a HNC alongisde A levels, plus the fact I have lab experience in industry.

As the other guy said, I'll probably have to contact individual universities to be sure. :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by addylad
I know that with the new HNC spec, it can be converted to a degree with two years at university; I don't believe my college offers anything further than the HNC. My only concern is that studying a HNC on its own will hinder my choice of universities. I was considering taking one or two A levels in the hope that universities would recognise a HNC alongisde A levels, plus the fact I have lab experience in industry.

As the other guy said, I'll probably have to contact individual universities to be sure. :dontknow:

You must e-mail each university department individually. Chemistry is a very undersubscribed course, I have no doubt you'll find a place somewhere. Make sure you get in before the fee-rise though :biggrin:
Original post by Chemist548

You must e-mail each university department individually. Chemistry is a very undersubscribed course, I have no doubt you'll find a place somewhere. Make sure you get in before the fee-rise though :biggrin:

I don't think I will. :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by addylad
I don't think I will. :frown:

Why?

Why?

I won't be starting the HNC till next year at best. :/
Original post by addylad
I won't be starting the HNC till next year at best. :/

I thought that an HNC was equivalent to the first year of a university degree. Maybe you can transfer between HNC and degree at the end of your HNC? Have you spoke to the university about this?

If it was me, I would take maths and chemistry A-levels before/during July and get a place on a university chemistry course through clearing/ or get a conditional offer from a university and completely forget about the HNC. It's not that difficult to get two decent A-level grades in math/chem.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending