The Student Room Group

Stuck- AQA as Economics vs Edexcel as Government and Poltics

For my a-levels I am doing:
French (AQA)
Eng Lit (AQA)
German (AQA)
Economics (AQA) or Government and Politics (Edexcel)

I hope to go on to a red-brick uni to study French and German with International Business or Politics.

I am not sure whether I would do better in G&P or Economics. I am interested in them both but I want to do the one that would get me a better grade. Can people tell me what they thought was easier, which one had more work, which was more enjoyable. that kind of stuff

Any help would be great thanks :biggrin:
Original post by creampandy95
French (AQA)
Eng Lit (AQA)
German (AQA)

I hope to go on to a red-brick uni to study French and German with International Business or Politics.

I am not sure whether I would do better in G&P or Economics. I am interested in them both but I want to do the one that would get me a better grade. Can people tell me what they thought was easier, which one had more work, which was more enjoyable. that kind of stuff

AS/A2 Politics is quite a bit of work, but still covers some areas of economics.
Politics is very interesting as an A level.

I have a small class, get on well with everyone and i'm the only tory,- debates are fun because we all know each other etc.

Take Politics, but it's not a soft option.
Reply 2
Original post by super.teve
AS/A2 Politics is quite a bit of work, but still covers some areas of economics.
Politics is very interesting as an A level.

I have a small class, get on well with everyone and i'm the only tory,- debates are fun because we all know each other etc.

Take Politics, but it's not a soft option.

How much work is it? and also do you find it hard?
Original post by creampandy95
French (AQA)
Eng Lit (AQA)
German (AQA)

By the way, this is something which we cover at A2 politics, as you can see it contains loads of economics stuff:

National deficits must remain below 3%,- the set of economic criteria to join the single currency are too harsh for us,- they mean we cannot join at present, according to the treaty of Maastricht,- our economy does not meet the objectives set out by the treaties and hence we couldn't join the Euro yet, or anytime since it's introduction in 1999.
Our policy makers and politicians want to remain in control of setting interest rates and target rates for inflation,- the European Central Bank sets these for Eurozone countries. This would mean we are unable to pursue some national economic objectives, for the sake of the benefits, or perceived benefits, the Euro brings.
We are very traditionally Euroskeptic as a public,- the public are opposed to it.
Current economic circumstances,- the Eurozone is no more resilliant than we have been, besides Germany (arguably not because of the Euro, but because of the nature of her export markets)
Inward UK investment has not fallen since we declined to adopt the Euro
The pound and Euro are not too different,- small fluctuations.
Trade with the Eurozone has not declined since they adopted the Euro and we did not,- so trade benefits would be small,- perhaps only real benefits for companies, rather than our economy as a whole, Euro/Pound price differences are small and tend to stay within a guessable range anyhow.
The Euro is yet to stand the test of time,- at the time of formulation British civil servants advised the government that it would be set to fail,- no EMU has stood the test of time yet.
The Irish crisis,- low interest rates from the ECB meant they had a boom in 2007, which lead to an expansion in credit and the property bubble,- with over exposed banks and the nature of the Irish economy, many warn that this could too happen to us.
We still like to see ourselves as British,- national identity etc.
The cost of introduction,- printing new currency.

The topics are quite interesting, it depends on what your college does though mine were:

1) Introduction to UK politics, Governing the UK : Power, Authority, Parliament, Prime Minister and Cabinet, Political Parties, Pressure Groups, Electoral systems,
2) A2 Politics: EU Political Issues,- The Euro, development of the EU, further integration/enlargement, Sovereignty issues, impact on the UK and tons of other EU related things.

^ All of these areas have questions such as: "to what extent does" or "how far do you agree that..."

It's interesting if you're interested in it I guess. There is alot of content, and loads of potential exam questions.

I hated Politics before the start of the course, after two weeks I was doing an exitpoll at the general election, working for an MP, applying to do politics at university and had an invite to Parliament.
It's something you can engage in.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest