The Student Room Group

Phyics or Forensic Science degree

I currently study physics, biology and economics and was previously set on studying physics at uni. To pursue physics however I would have had to take a foundation year. I have very recently discovered forensic science as a possible uni choice, as it appears to be a more realistic choice and also seams interesting.
Please can you help me decide!
I am late with my UCAS and would have to write a new personal statement if I was to apply to Forensic science which is deadlined for this week. Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by asalad
I currently study physics, biology and economics and was previously set on studying physics at uni. To pursue physics however I would have had to take a foundation year. I have very recently discovered forensic science as a possible uni choice, as it appears to be a more realistic choice and also seams interesting.
Please can you help me decide!
I am late with my UCAS and would have to write a new personal statement if I was to apply to Forensic science which is deadlined for this week. Thankyou

I would avoid forensic science courses like the plague if I were you. Far better applying for a chemistry/analytical chemistry degree.

Do NOT pay £3400 (+ living expenses) to study a foundation year for physics. Instead, take a year out and complete A-level mathematics/F.mathematics (optional) and work full/part time if you need money.
Original post by Chemist548
I would avoid forensic science courses like the plague if I were you. Far better applying for a chemistry/analytical chemistry degree.

Do NOT pay £3400 (+ living expenses) to study a foundation year for physics. Instead, take a year out and complete A-level mathematics/F.mathematics (optional) and work full/part time if you need money.

didnt the government just close their forensic science department? physics is an awesome subject, loved by many employers
Reply 3
Original post by air-ninety-one
didnt the government just close their forensic science department? physics is an awesome subject, loved by many employers

No, they haven't closed the FSS. The reason I would avoid those forensic courses is because they are basically heavily watered down science courses not wanted by the FSS. Many of these courses are not even accredited. In fact, the FSS EXPLICITY stated on their website some time ago that they weren't interested in people who had taken forensic science courses and advised people to take something else. I think they've removed this advice from their website now...I don't know why.
(edited 13 years ago)
No, they haven't closed the FSS. The reason I would avoid those forensic courses is because they are basically heavily watered down science courses not wanted by the FSS. Many of these courses are not even accredited. In fact, the FSS EXPLICITY stated on their website some time ago that they weren't interested in people who had taken forensic science courses and advised people to take something else. I think they've removed this advice from their website now...I don't know why.

i dont think they removed anything... i think your a liar

Stop chatting *******s.
Obviously, its not a "traditional" degree like chemistry or biology etc. and some course content is worse than others, naturally. Hence, why you should research which unis offer the best courses etc.
Some courses ARE accreditted, some are not. Well done for pointing out the obvious..
It depends what your interests are, whether a forensic science degree would suit your needs, or whether a straight science degree would be better.
Reply 6
Original post by supernova92
Stop chatting *******s.
Obviously, its not a "traditional" degree like chemistry or biology etc. and some course content is worse than others, naturally. Hence, why you should research which unis offer the best courses etc.
Some courses ARE accreditted, some are not. Well done for pointing out the obvious..
It depends what your interests are, whether a forensic science degree would suit your needs, or whether a straight science degree would be better.

Everything I have said is 100% true & accurate.

- Many forensic science courses are not accredited - true.
- The FSS explicity state on their website that they prefer science graduates who have studied physics, chemistry & biology etc. - true.
- Many of these forensic courses contain watered down science - true.

If you seriously wanted to go into forensics you would have contacted the FSS who would have told you the exact same thing, which is to avoid degrees in forensic science.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I have personally contacted the FSS on many occasions and been told this information. (Not that I need to since I have family members in the FSS).

Edit: I should add, there are absolutely NO circumstances in which you should take a forensic science degree over a proper science degree if you want to be a forensic scientist. Enough said.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
i dont think they removed anything... i think your a liar

Why don't you send them an email? I don't care if you believe me. Just don't be giving out advice that isn't true.
Reply 8
It is a pseudo scientific degree and that's why it is mostly the ex-polytechnics that offer the course. Stick with a Physics degree, it will open many doors career wise.

Here is a quotation from an expert found in the Guardian:

"Dr Roger King, forensic director at Key Forensic Services Ltd, keyforensic.co.uk

To work in forensics, you need attention to detail, perseverance, flexibility, dexterity and good colour vision. You will also need discretion, a rational approach to problems, good oral and written skills and the ability to report technical matters so that laypeople can readily understand.

You don't need to have a specific forensic science degree. In fact it's better to have a degree in biology, physics or chemistry. You will, though, need a good class of degree.

It is a hard industry in which to get a job. There has been lots of interest fuelled by the media. This year we have had more than 500 applicants and have recruited 11. Some form of lab-based work experience during your course is useful, though not essential. From the start, a graduate would be involved in practical bench work supervised by a senior scientist.

The plus point of a career in forensic science is vocational satisfaction - you will be contributing to the public good and undertaking interesting and varied work. But you need to be prepared to work outside of normal hours and it can sometimes be distressing work. You could also be handling unsavoury items................"
(edited 13 years ago)
Why don't you send them an email? I don't care if you believe me. Just don't be giving out advice that isn't true.

i sent them an e-mail, they said they never had anything like that written on there website...:confused:

why would you lie for no reason? you wont be gaining any respect for doing so...

i really don't like you. your pathetic for lying to try and make yourself look popular, people like you are such losers later in life.
i sent them an e-mail, they said they never had anything like that written on there website...:confused:

why would you lie for no reason? you wont be gaining any respect for doing so...

i really don't like you. your pathetic for lying to try and make yourself look popular, people like you are such losers later in life.

Troll. :biggrin:
Troll. :biggrin:

again... trying to be clever.

you have no idea what a troll is.

pathetic at best. :s-smilie:
At the end of the day forensic science is an incredibly competitive job market and many applicants have post-graduate qualifications in forensics on top of strong degrees in traditional scientific disciplines from top universities.

My advice to anyone wanting to do a forensics degree is to ensure that it is accredited by the RSC so that you can get a job in the wider analytical field if you aren't successful in getting a job in forensics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending