The Student Room Group

The most overrated things of the decade?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Your mother.
Reply 41
Original post by R-KAM
Knew this was coming when I saw your post on the front page. Although had to come to the first page to find it :colonhash:

:colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
[scroll]:colonhash:[/scroll]

You're only upset because it's true :console:
Reply 42
Original post by Louis.

Original post by Louis.
You're only upset because it's true :console:

Yea yea yea :emo:

You're like a tick :colonhash:
Reply 43
Most of the things that have been mentioned (Justin Bieber, Lib Dems etc)

Also: I PADS!!! Bring back the tamagotchi.
Reply 44
Original post by Lewroll

If there was a top 1000 singer list from the last decade, beyonce most definitely would be in the top 100. And I am almost certain Rihanna and Leona lewis would make the list of 1000 singers as well. Who do you think would make the list then from the last decade?
I think you are confusing not liking their music, with them having bad voices.

I think that if there was any justice in this hypothetical list to which you refer, the likes of Beyoncé et al. wouldn't even feature in the top 1000. Conversely, the top 100 would feature such names as Russell Allen, Mikael Akerfeldt, Neal Morse, Simone Simons, Bryn Terfel, etc etc...

Have you heard any of these names? Probably not. But they're actually among the most all-round talented vocalists, who can prove again and again that they are capable of pulling it off live without autotune. When it comes down to it, Rihanna and Leona Lewis are only popular through sheer fluke; they rely on autotune and studio equipment to give them their signature sounds. There are thousands of more talented musicians who'll never be heard of because of such injustice. A classic example is Susan Boyle - yeah, her voice isn't bad, but it's nothing special as everyone seems to believe...

tl;dr: Perceived talent in popular music comes down to popularity; in itself down to fluke. Some of the most unheard of names are the most talented who'd deserve to fill the top 100 instead of all these chart toppers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
Fundamental human rights.

lol!!

xfactor and facebook being the answers everyone gives..

..mm how about
the lib dems
pop music
twighlight
pop music
high school musical ?
pop music ?
celebrity copy cats.. - anyone else think its sad that people try to adopt things celbrities have such as hair styles and clothing so they look attractive or watever reason they give...
pop music
JLS
oh did i mention pop music ?
Reply 46
Original post by R-KAM
Yea yea yea :emo:

You're like a tick :colonhash:

Shut up and piss yourself. Again.
Reply 47
X Factor
iPhones
Kings of Leon
Coldplay
U2
Muse
Biffy Clyro (not really the decade, but still...)
Call Of Duty
UK Singles Chart
Twilight
Tiësto
Autotune
3D films in general
Reality TV
Lead guitarists

Yes, I'm a miserable ****. Bite me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Louis.

Original post by Louis.
Shut up and piss yourself. Again.

Because a Scouser would never talk ****e, would he? :colonhash:
Reply 49
Original post by R-KAM
Because a Scouser would never talk ****e, would he? :colonhash:

I'm not Scouse :fyi:

Spoiler

Reply 50
Films & TV relating to Vampires:
The Vampire Diaries,
Twilight,
Blade,
True Blood,
Ultraviolet.

I mean seriously whats up with this new sucking sensation phenomenon? :laugh:
Original post by lovely_me
Are you in Italy? :daydreaming:

Get off TSR! :fuhrer:

Yes. :france:

I'm only on here for my fans, like you. :yep:
Reply 52
wayne rooney!
His performance at the world cup was abysmal
I didnt think it would be right for me to reply to your post without having listened to the singers you listed. So I listened to some of their stuff.

Original post by mc1000
I think that if there was any justice in this hypothetical list to which you refer, the likes of Beyoncé et al. wouldn't even feature in the top 1000. Conversely, the top 100 would feature such names as Russell Allen, Mikael Akerfeldt, Neal Morse, Simone Simons, Bryn Terfel, etc etc...

The problem with music is that everyone has their own musical tastes. So i am going to try and judge them in a completely unibiased way. They do have good voices, but i see no reason to give them more praise than many popular singers of the past decade. Just because they are 'underground' and not that popular does not mean they have superior vocal ability to popular singers.
Have you heard any of these names? Probably not. But they're actually among the most all-round talented vocalists, who can prove again and again that they are capable of pulling it off live without autotune. When it comes down to it, Rihanna and Leona Lewis are only popular through sheer fluke; they rely on autotune and studio equipment to give them their signature sounds.

As far as i know, leona lewis doesnt use auto tune when she sings live. Afterall, she sang equally as well whilst on the xfactor, where they dont use autotune in the live shows. It'd be absurd to deny that singers like Leona lewis, mariah carey have an amazing vocal range. Again you seem to assume that just because these singers are popular, they must use autotune. Indeed this isnt the case for leona lewis and beyonce, who have always had good voices. It may not be the case for rihanna.
There are thousands of more talented musicians who'll never be heard of because of such injustice. A classic example is Susan Boyle - yeah, her voice isn't bad, but it's nothing special as everyone seems to believe...

More talented according to who? To you?
I agree susan boyle is overrated. You say injustice, but you havent actually mentioned any injustice. The music industry uses editing equipment? We all knew that already. But that doesnt prevent new talent being signed.
tl;dr: Perceived talent in popular music comes down to popularity; in itself down to fluke. Some of the most unheard of names are the most talented who'd deserve to fill the top 100 instead of all these chart toppers.

Popularity is not down to fluke. Its absurd you would take the achievement away from successful singers, for the mere fact that they are successful. If they werent successful would they be untalented? Ridiculous.

Unpopular does not equal better
Reply 54
Original post by Lewroll
Im afraid you are wrong. From those three singers Beyonce is definitely the best, and she has a very strong unique voice (you would be able to tell it was Beyonce if someone didnt tell you)
Rihanna has quite a good voice, however I agree with you, it isnt unique. However just because it isnt unique, doesnt make her an 'average singer'.
Leona Lewis has a very good voice, and is perhaps the best thing to come out of that pile of crap (xfactor). She can hit a range of notes and definitely isnt an average singer. Her songs may not be the most interesting, but there is no denying that she has talent.
Cheryl cole isnt a good singer. I agree
If there was a top 1000 singer list from the last decade, beyonce most definitely would be in the top 100. And I am almost certain Rihanna and Leona lewis would make the list of 1000 singers as well. Who do you think would make the list then from the last decade?
I think you are confusing not liking their music, with them having bad voices.

A good voice isn't the be all and end all. My friend who's in the choir is a better "technical" singer; in regards to hitting notes, a wide range, tone etc.

They wouldn't even be a footnote in, for example, the last century's greatest voices. The fact is, they can all sing "well", but can they sing?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by channy
A good voice isn't the be all and end all. My friend who's in the choir is a better "technical" singer; in regards to hitting notes, a wide range, tone etc.

They wouldn't even be a footnote in, for example, the last century's greatest voices. The fact is, they can all sing "well", but can they sing?

Yes, yes they can.
Reply 56
Original post by Lewroll
Yes, yes they can.

I'd have to disagree.

Having a good voice is overrated.
Original post by channy
I'd have to disagree.

Having a good voice is overrated.

Oh really?
Reply 58
China