The Student Room Group

Common words which people can't spell

Scroll to see replies

Theres a girl on my facebook who is constantly calling people 'gorjus' and telling everyone how 'tyed' she is. She has a son, I worry for him :frown:
Original post by Kolya
Huh? Did you just separate two independent causes with a comma?! WTF?! What on earth were you thinking? Didn't you go to school? Didn't you read books when you were younger? Or were you just reading the young books -- did you never make it past The Hunger Caterpillar? Most people learn how to use commas in primary school. If there's any common sense in this world then you would have failed your GCSE in English. Your mistake makes me physically nauseous. Learn proper English or GTFO of the country.

Finally: some common sense. There's surely a book to be written about why people like the OP get so worked-up over those who break unofficial orthographic conventions by accident (if it hasn't been written already!).

Avoid contractions in formal writing:nothing:
Reply 122
Original post by Doink-the-Clown

Original post by Doink-the-Clown
Avoid contractions in formal writing:nothing:

Avoid emoticons in formal writing:nothing:
lose/loose
definitely/defiantly

Also, to ignore the "common" in the title, sacrilegious. Just a thought.
I always see people spell "pregnant" as "pregnate". How does that happen? Seriously?
Original post by Kolya
Avoid emoticons in formal writing:nothing:

You first:wink:
Original post by Superstar6318
I'm sick of people who can't spell so here's how to spell certain words.

Definitely - not definately or definitaly.

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

Occasionally - two C's used.

Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'

Grammar- not grammer

does anyone care to add any more?

Its not really a spelling thing, but when British people spell words with a z.
Like realize... :angry:
Disease - people spell it in a variety of different ways: desease, desiase, dasease, dissease etc...
Reply 128
Perhaps not a common word but simile. People often spell it 'similie'. Including my Year 7 English teacher. We had a spelling test, and simile was one of the words. I spelt it correctly, she marked it wrong.

I ended up getting a dictionary to prove to her that I was right.

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

one's*
Necessary - Never Eat Cake, Eat Salad Sandwiches And Remain Young

My mum taught me that! Did anyone else use that acronym when learning to spell necessary? I still recite it in my head when writing it out:^_^:
Can anyone tell me whether this is true or false:

Did they change the British spelling of encyclopaedia to encyclopedia? I have no clue as to which I should use.
Original post by Rising Euphoria
It's good to observe you having such fun on your saturday night, scrutinising peoples spelling in a frenzied desperation to feel superior.

Is this thread a joke?

Great first post! You're going to love it here. :biggrin:

Did they change the British spelling of encyclopaedia to encyclopedia? I have no clue as to which I should use.

I wouldn't have thought so.
I used to always mess up grateful with greatful! :o:
Reply 135

As Einheri has already pointed out to you, there is no official body which sets orthographic conventions. There is no "they". There's little point complaining about spelling if your comprehension skills aren't up to much. :pierre:

</snarky>
Original post by Reagan Smash
Theres a girl on my facebook who is constantly calling people 'gorjus' and telling everyone how 'tyed' she is. She has a son, I worry for him :frown:

Yeah, being unable to spell clearly makes her Britain's worst mother...
Tired --> Tierd
Definitely --> Definately --> Definitelie ---> Defanitely

Ah! We live in such a grammatically challenged world... Should my eulogy have grammatical errors when I pass, I'll cringe in my grave.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 138
Weird. I HATE it when people spell the word 'wierd'. It's just so so so wrong.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Yeah, being unable to spell clearly makes her Britain's worst mother...

Yes, clearly.
:wink:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending