The Student Room Group

Did university live up to your expectations?

Obviously before you went to university you must have had some idea of what you think it would be like and I am wondering has it lived up to your expectations. That is if you had any. :smile:

Simple question really, elaborate if you wish.

Scroll to see replies

It's been great, actually better then what I thought it would be...
Just the 9am starts that annoys me!
I never got to be an extra in a Harry Potter film, so I left a bit disappointed :sadnod:

:nopity:
Reply 3
It exceeded my expectations.
But then, I did have very low expectations.
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I never got to be an extra in a Harry Potter film, so I left a bit disappointed :sadnod:

:nopity:

omg I remember you! well in a 'tsr-way' I remember you.
You have asian parents and youre studying music, well ethnomusicology now.
Notice how I included 'asian parents' :p:
Yeah, it's going well. I didn't really have any specific expectations of it - I got a place in Clearing, and everything was so quick and I'd never even seen the uni that it was hard to know what to expect - but I'm enjoying it here.
Well I didn't think so at the time, but looking back at first year now, it was absolutely amazing! But sometimes you don't appreciate things until you can look back at them.
Reply 7
Original post by Blueflare
It exceeded my expectations.
But then, I did have very low expectations.

I don't really have high expectations either, so I'll probably be the same.
Reply 8
I already had a very good idea what to expect as my boyfriend has already finished his degree, so him telling me what was going on his life at the time and seeing it for myself meant that I knew what was coming. What I didn't expect was it to highlight how pointless A-levels are in showing what a course is going to be like in its entry requirements; I'm doing an English/Linguistics degree as was asked to get ABB (straight English course asks for AAB, straight Linguistics BBB) and I'm currently getting high 2.1s in English, and struggling to get 2.2s in Linguistics -- did not expect that!
Reply 9
Original post by red_roses
I already had a very good idea what to expect as my boyfriend has already finished his degree, so him telling me what was going on his life at the time and seeing it for myself meant that I knew what was coming. What I didn't expect was it to highlight how pointless A-levels are in showing what a course is going to be like in its entry requirements; I'm doing an English/Linguistics degree as was asked to get ABB (straight English course asks for AAB, straight Linguistics BBB) and I'm currently getting high 2.1s in English, and struggling to get 2.2s in Linguistics -- did not expect that!

There is no specific A-Levels for the course I want to do so I'm expecting it to be tough for the first few months but I'm staying optimistic.

Also, it is interesting reading people's responses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Milwaukee
There is no specific A-Levels for the course I want to do so I'm expecting it to be tough for the first few moths but I'm staying optimistic.

Also, it is interesting reading people's responses.

what about your QRO's? their probably the most important english exams. if you fail those then your out
Reply 11
Original post by air-ninety-one
what about your QRO's? their probably the most important english exams. if you fail those then your out

I don't want to do an English degree?
Original post by Milwaukee
I don't want to do an English degree?

no i meant exams written in english.... the most important exams of your life
Original post by air-ninety-one

You're not your

They're not their

Ironic about you giving advice on English exams... :biggrin:
Original post by Chemist548
You're not your

They're not their

Ironic about you giving advice on English exams... :biggrin:

ha cant believe u follow me:wink:
Original post by TheSownRose
Yeah, it's going well. I didn't really have any specific expectations of it - I got a place in Clearing, and everything was so quick and I'd never even seen the uni that it was hard to know what to expect - but I'm enjoying it here.

You know, after all this time ive spent on tsr, i feel like i know the whole story of how you ended up at anglia ruskin :biggrin:
Original post by Lewroll
You know, after all this time ive spent on tsr, i feel like i know the whole story of how you ended up at anglia ruskin :biggrin:

I do fear I mention it too much... :s-smilie: I swear, I never even talk about it outside of TSR - obviously my old school friends know what happened, but no one at ARU knows how I ended up there.

It's just relevant for a few key issues on TSR - prestige isn't everything, you can change your mind, Clearing isn't just a place for rub outs...
Love it. Got my insurance but still lovenit to pieces.

It got off to a rocky start as I got put in a horrid flat with a bunch of weirdos but when I moved into a nice normal flat with lovely people who wanted to study and go out, then it got awesome.

:biggrin:
Original post by TheSownRose
I do fear I mention it too much... :s-smilie: I swear, I never even talk about it outside of TSR - obviously my old school friends know what happened, but no one at ARU knows how I ended up there.

It's just relevant for a few key issues on TSR - prestige isn't everything, you can change your mind, Clearing isn't just a place for rub outs...

its funny you should say that, because currently i am going through a problem related to that. Choose the prestigious uni, or the one i will probably enjoy more. Its a tricky decision
Yes! I'm definitely loving it. I'm studying things that I actually enjoy, and I'm meeting new people every day. It's great.

Quick Reply