The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxford, should I reapply?

I applied for Biological Sciences at Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, UCL and Oxford.

I was recently rejected from Oxford (after what I thought was a very strong interview) but got in everywhere else. My first choice would be either UCL or Imperial.

My question is, I quite desperately wanted to go to Oxford, and I felt I was very close to getting it (maybe I wasn't, but I get that impression).

So my idea was this - take a gap year, and take the American SATS, and apply to Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Imperial and UCL. My questions are these:

1) Seeing that I've already got into Imperial and UCL, will taking a year off and reapplying to them reduce my chances (as in they think 'we can't trust him to come' so they reject me)?

2) Can I apply to both Harvard and Yale? With 10 A*s at GCSE and four As at AS-level, I think my current grades should be a start. I'm aiming for 2-4 A*s for A-level (in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English), and the rest As.

3) Does Oxford take into account the fact you've reapplied? I've heard countless stories of people reapplying to Oxford/Cambridge and getting in, but that's no evidence to go on...

Should this be something I do? The way I see it, reapplying to UCL and Imperial will put me in the same position I am now (should I get in); reapplying to Oxford gives me another shot at the university I really want to go to; and since I'm of American descent, the prestige of Harvard/Yale would be equivalent to Oxford for me.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're thinking about turning down an offer from Imperial? wut.

Oxford isn't the be all and end all, make sure you don't turn into one of those people who slate Oxbridge because they didn't get an offer but thought they should... just sayin'.
Reply 2
Its true that people certainly do get in when they reapply to Oxbridge. However, consider this is it really worth turning down offer from Imperial and UCL because you are gonna reapply to Oxford?

I dont know about the rest of your application but seriously what if you take the year out and get rejected again by Oxford? You'll be more depressed about it than you are now. Believe Oxbridge despite being elite uni's are not the end of the world, there are other good uni's out there.

My advice: Select one of your offers and apply to American uni's next year. In this way you'll be at uni so you wont be wasting a year. Plus there is no gurantee if you'll make it to Harvard or Yale cause they're incredibly competitve uni's.

Goodluck!
Seems like a waste to me,
Though rather than declining your offers you could ask to be deferred so you can have a gap year
Though you will have to make something up about why you are now deciding to take a year out
Oh and remember.. if you reapply for next year you will be effected by the tuition fee rise, and there will be no guarentee of getting an offer next year
Original post by bluemax
Its true that people certainly do get in when they reapply to Oxbridge. However, consider this is it really worth turning down offer from Imperial and UCL because you are gonna reapply to Oxford?

I dont know about the rest of your application but seriously what if you take the year out and get rejected again by Oxford? You'll be more depressed about it than you are now. Believe Oxbridge despite being elite uni's are not the end of the world, there are other good uni's out there.

My advice: Select one of your offers and apply to American uni's next year. In this way you'll be at uni so you wont be wasting a year. Plus there is no gurantee if you'll make it to Harvard or Yale cause they're incredibly competitve uni's.

Goodluck!

You may firm your offer with Imperial now. Then in July 2011 you may re-apply to Oxford or Cambridge and in the meantime join Imperial in October 2011. However, if you get an offer from Oxford by the end of December, 2011 you may quit Imperial, take a gap year and join Oxford in October 2012. But if you didn't get in Oxford then you may continue with Imperial. This way you will not be idle in case you didn't get into Oxford. :wink:
Original post by AlexB1001
I applied for Biological Sciences at Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, UCL and Oxford.

I was recently rejected from Oxford (after what I thought was a very strong interview) but got in everywhere else. My first choice would be either UCL or Imperial.

My question is, I quite desperately wanted to go to Oxford, and I felt I was very close to getting it (maybe I wasn't, but I get that impression).

So my idea was this - take a gap year, and take the American SATS, and apply to Oxford, Harvard, Yale, Imperial and UCL. My questions are these:

1) Seeing that I've already got into Imperial and UCL, will taking a year off and reapplying to them reduce my chances (as in they think 'we can't trust him to come' so they reject me)?

2) Can I apply to both Harvard and Yale? With 10 A*s at GCSE and four As at AS-level, I think my current grades should be a start. I'm aiming for 2-4 A*s for A-level (in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English), and the rest As.

3) Does Oxford take into account the fact you've reapplied? I've heard countless stories of people reapplying to Oxford/Cambridge and getting in, but that's no evidence to go on...

Should this be something I do? The way I see it, reapplying to UCL and Imperial will put me in the same position I am now (should I get in); reapplying to Oxford gives me another shot at the university I really want to go to; and since I'm of American descent, the prestige of Harvard/Yale would be equivalent to Oxford for me.

You still have time to apply to Harvard, Yale etc. The deadline is 31st December, 2010. One can apply on line. :smile:

Firstly, sorry to hear you didn't get into Oxford. If it's any consolation I've been there before.

You have offers from some very good places and personally out of Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Warwick I would probably plump for Imperial as in many respects it's one of the strongest institutes in the world for the sciences and in some respects stronger than Oxford.

I'm not going to patronise you by saying "Oh how can you turn down Imperial just to reapply for Oxford". Ultimately that's your decision to make and you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

I would consider the following:

1) Given the pressure for places at university, it would be a risky strategy to decline your offers for the sake re-applying to Oxford. You previous application record will be on the UCAS system and if you do happen to reapply to Oxford and or Imperial etc. they will know about your previous applications. This would be more of an issues for places other Oxford e.g. if you were to decline offers this year from UCL and Imperial for the sake of reapplying to Oxford and also happened to reapply to UCL and Imperial, chances are they (UCL and Imperial) would decline your application given that you had been previously made an ofer and rejected them.

2) Have you received any feedback as to why Oxford rejected you? If not then try to obtain over the next few weeks or in the new year and sit down and reflect on what went right or wrong. Off the top of my head I can't remember if they ask for a written test for Biological Sciences. If you were to reapply to Oxford then I would strongly advise you to apply to a different college. Academically there doesn't seem to be any problems so my hunch would be it boiled down to your interview performance and even if it did go well, it was probably a case of somebody else performed better on the day.

3) If it's the Oxbridge bonus that you're after as opposed to soley going to Oxford, perhaps consider applying to Cambridge?

4) Without knowing much about the American system I couldn't advise you on that. However, as it's a seperate process to the UCAS system, it could be possible for to make an application to places like Harvard and Yale whilst enrolling on a programme here in the UK e.g. at Imperial. The logic being that if you were to get an offer you could withdraw from Imperial and wait until you start in the States or worst case scenario if you didn't get an offer to study abroad, then you could continue what you're doing in the UK not having lost anything (except however much money you spent on the applications/SAT entry forms etc).

Personally I would say put Imperial as your first choice, get the grades and don't look back. Imperial and UCL aren't exactly second rate institutions and in some world rankings rank higher than Oxford so it's not like they don't have a world-class pedigree.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Seems like a waste to me,
Though rather than declining your offers you could ask to be deferred so you can have a gap year
Though you will have to make something up about why you are now deciding to take a year out
Oh and remember.. if you reapply for next year you will be effected by the tuition fee rise, and there will be no guarentee of getting an offer next year

That won't work - you can't hold a deferred offer and apply for a course.
Reply 8
I would consider Imperial a little more first, its a very well respected uni and will set you up well.
Reply 9
Original post by ilovespidergirl
You still have time to apply to Harvard, Yale etc. The deadline is 31st December, 2010. One can apply on line. :smile:

True, but you need to write college essays and take SATs - that cannot be made before December 31, especially the SATs.

But yes, you can apply to both Harvard and Yale - actually you can apply to as many colleges as you wish, because each college charges its own application fee (and not all use the Common Application), and the Common App does not have any restrictions in this sense.

Moreover, there might be an option to transfer to Harvard or Yale from Imperial/UCL - you CAN transfer to either of these from American colleges, I see no reason why you should not from UK unis. True, the systems are different, but I'd consider it if you want to go to Harvard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheSownRose
That won't work - you can't hold a deferred offer and apply for a course.

Ahh I didn't know that :colondollar:
Well learn something new everyday :yep:
Reply 11
Original post by Warrior King
Firstly, sorry to hear you didn't get into Oxford. If it's any consolation I've been there before.

You have offers from some very good places and personally out of Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Warwick I would probably plump for Imperial as in many respects it's one of the strongest institutes in the world for the sciences and in some respects stronger than Oxford.

I'm not going to patronise you by saying "Oh how can you turn down Imperial just to reapply for Oxford". Ultimately that's your decision to make and you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

I would consider the following:

1) Given the pressure for places at university, it would be a risky strategy to decline your offers for the sake re-applying to Oxford. You previous application record will be on the UCAS system and if you do happen to reapply to Oxford and or Imperial etc. they will know about your previous applications. This would be more of an issues for places other Oxford e.g. if you were to decline offers this year from UCL and Imperial for the sake of reapplying to Oxford and also happened to reapply to UCL and Imperial, chances are they (UCL and Imperial) would decline your application given that you had been previously made an ofer and rejected them.

2) Have you received any feedback as to why Oxford rejected you? If not then try to obtain over the next few weeks or in the new year and sit down and reflect on what went right or wrong. Off the top of my head I can't remember if they ask for a written test for Biological Sciences. If you were to reapply to Oxford then I would strongly advise you to apply to a different college. Academically there doesn't seem to be any problems so my hunch would be it boiled down to your interview performance and even if it did go well, it was probably a case of somebody else performed better on the day.

3) If it's the Oxbridge bonus that you're after as opposed to soley going to Oxford, perhaps consider applying to Cambridge?

4) Without knowing much about the American system I couldn't advise you on that. However, as it's a seperate process to the UCAS system, it could be possible for to make an application to places like Harvard and Yale whilst enrolling on a programme here in the UK e.g. at Imperial. The logic being that if you were to get an offer you could withdraw from Imperial and wait until you start in the States or worst case scenario if you didn't get an offer to study abroad, then you could continue what you're doing in the UK not having lost anything (except however much money you spent on the applications/SAT entry forms etc).

Personally I would say put Imperial as your first choice, get the grades and don't look back. Imperial and UCL aren't exactly second rate institutions and in some world rankings rank higher than Oxford so it's not like they don't have a world-class pedigree.

Thank you so much for the help - everyone in this thread has given absolutely wonderful advice.

Now that the 'shock value' of the Oxford rejection has boiled over, I've decided my best course of action is to go to Imperial (maybe UCL) and possibly apply to American universities in my first year.

So based on your guys' experience, for science how is Imperial compared to Oxford in the real world?
There was another thread similar to this and this is what I wrote as I feel it applies to you also:
Just go to Imperial or UCL. The fees are rising in 2012 so you will be paying triple for the same course as you will in 2011. Also, you have no guarantee that Oxford or any other uni will offer you a place next year. Imperial has an amazing reputation. Plus you get to live in London. I would think it through before rushing into any kind of decision.
Reply 13
Original post by Warrior King

Is there really an Oxbridge bonus when compared to going to Imperial?

AlexB1001
So based on your guys' experience, for science how is Imperial compared to Oxford in the real world?

Equal or better. You've made a good choice.
I think like many Oxford rejects. You got attached to the university.

Don't worry I know how it feels.

But trust me when I say it's not worth it. Speaking to people who did Biosci and medicine at oxford and imperial and reapplied to oxford. I am telling you it's not worth it. Heck if I'm being honest Oxbridge unis are on decline. It seems London are topping them

AND A VERY IMPORTANT THING

London Unis have the BEST facilities.
Oxford have Good facilities but place an emphasis onto more of teaching you stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I wouldn't if I were you. UCL and Imperial are wonderful Unis for sciences and next year the fees are going up.
Reply 16
This isn't completely specific to your question but I have two friends who applied to Oxford last year and were rejected at interview stage. One applied for PPE and he was rejected so this year for his gap year he got an internship with Deloittes, got A*A*A*A*B and has now got an unconditional offer. The other applied for English Lit. and then for his gap year decided to become a teaching assistant in France for his gap year, got promoted to covering a teacher for maternity leave and also got A*A*A*A in his A-levels and has also now got an unconditional offer. Point of the matterur is, don't give up - do something useful in your gap year, get the grades and go for it!
Original post by zazamak
I think like many Oxford rejects. You got attached to the university.

Don't worry I know how it feels.

But trust me when I say it's not worth it. Speaking to people who did Biosci and medicine at oxford and imperial and reapplied to oxford. I am telling you it's not worth it. Heck if I'm being honest Oxbridge unis are on decline. It seems London are topping them

AND A VERY IMPORTANT THING

London Unis have the BEST facilities.
Oxford have Good facilities but place an emphasis onto more of teaching you stuff.

Nonsense; the whole post.

Firstly Oxbridge applications are on the rise, for example Oxford had 12%* more applicants in the UCAS 2010 cycle than in 2009. The London ones are most likely rising too but there is nothing to support that London ones are "topping them" both with respect to applications or quality.

Secondly with regards to you generalising every london university that they have better facilities is rubbish. What evidence do you have to support this? I'm not a undergraduate student at either of them so cannot speak first hand, but if you look at the endowments of, for example, Oxford University and Imperial College London, I fail to see how Imperial would have the better facilties with a meer £58.8 million** in contrast to £3.0 billion**. Make no doubt about it, I am not saying that some of the the London universities lack excellent facilties (i.e. ICL, UCL, King's, QMUL) but I highly doubt they are better than Oxbridge's.

* - Taken from the University of Oxford website
** - Wikipedia

------

In regards to the original post, it depends what other offers you have and what matters to you.

1) Personally if I had an offer to UCL or Imperial I would take it (both have equally good career prospects) and not risk going at it next year, but this is your choice. If you that desperately want to go to Oxford then you could reapply (but if you want to go for Oxford why apply to the American ones as well?).

2) Yes you can apply to both of them, if I don't get in this year I plan to also do that along with Princeton. I don't think they care about GCSEs, they look at predicted or achieved A2's, SAT I & two SAT II papers (or the ACT Plus Writing), extracurricular activities and finally the essays associated with the Common Application. You do realise that all american colleges follow the liberal arts approach to degrees? You wouldn't be able to properly specialise for biological science until near the end of the second year/sophomore year.

3) No idea.

Hope this helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by ilovespidergirl
You may firm your offer with Imperial now. Then in July 2011 you may re-apply to Oxford or Cambridge and in the meantime join Imperial in October 2011. However, if you get an offer from Oxford by the end of December, 2011 you may quit Imperial, take a gap year and join Oxford in October 2012. But if you didn't get in Oxford then you may continue with Imperial. This way you will not be idle in case you didn't get into Oxford. :wink:

Is this possible?
I am also considering reapplying to Oxford after I completely fluffed my interview as I feel I am capable of much more than the interviewers got to see.
If I did for example take up an offer at York, would I be able to reapply on UCAS without telling York? or would I have to do it through the university that I am studying at?
I'd stick it out at Imperial if I were you, and try and get the best possible degree you can (and smash your A2s meanwhile as well :smile:)
Then, you can apply to Oxbridge or Ivies for a Masters/PhD. It'd be the best of both worlds :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending