The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Is York full of these RAH types? I hope not.
Exeter really that bad? FML
Original post by TheCount.
Exeter really that bad? FML

Who cares if they're there? Its not like they're going to kill you like chavs.
Reply 143
Original post by AfghanistanBananistan
What the hell are you talking about? The person was talking about the Sunday Times tables for highest private school intake, and HEFCE tables, not league tables.

What the hell are you talking about with Leicester in the top 7? For what? What does LSE being good for economics have anything to do with this thread?

Been smoking something exotic?

Just ignore 'sixthformer', he/she/it is being a right pain today.
Reply 144
I love these kinds of people. In fact, the abundance of posh, snobby girls to sleep with was one of the secondary factors towards my uni choices.

Unfortunately, I'm too dumb to get into the proper rah places so I'll make do with Leeds or if I'm lucky, Bristol.
Original post by Delaney
Saw a few at the St. Andrews open day. Particularly one who drove around in some old classic car with his tweed jacket and hunter boots on :L

oh and a pair of these badboys

I **** you not haha

my hero.
You get them in any university, obviously the better university the more self-righteous they'll feel and so they'll play on their poshness even more.
I used to have an untested theory that Oxbridge would be less rah than places like St Andrews, Durham, Bristol etc, because I figured all the middle class kids would apply to Oxbridge and have those as their back ups, whereas the brighter northern state school kids who were applying to Oxbridge would have places like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool etc as their other choices. So I thought Oxbridge would get diluted by having a lot of bright state school kids in there whereas the other rah group wouldn't.

Having said this, I then had a few trips staying at Oxford courtesy of a girl at Hertford College who I met travelling a couple of summers ago, and I have to say it was a lot more rah than I expected.

However the Oxford rahs were different from the type of rahs you get at Leeds.

In Leeds, the male rahs are rugger buggers who basically sit at the back of the bus chanting and telling loud jokes about rape, and the female rahs are dizzy airheads, "OMG last night I saw Marcus in town it was literally so random"

In Oxford they were slightly less juvenile, their conversations were more pretentious than the banal chat you got from Leeds rahs, but I found them more irritating, there was something sinister about some of them as though they were all trying to outdo each other and get one over on each other, whereas the Leeds rahs give the impression of blissful ignorance and acceptance of the world.

I'm not knocking Oxford students in general though, the girl I knew from travelling wasn't like that, neither were the couple of friends she mostly hung round with, but the unpleasant characters seemed to be very dominant in the social scene there. If you'd have transported them to Leeds, there would have been people in my halls who would have told them to pipe down their attitude, but in their Oxford environment they seemed to hold high status and they got away with making others feel inferior.
Original post by yahyahyahs
I was just looking through some old threads and the usual suspects turn up, but I wanted to know what others thought. Of course Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Exeter were mentioned quite a lot in those threads, and for some reason, Nottingham appeared every now and then. Also, I was reading an old Times article that said that Newcastle was the new place to be, saying it was the alternative if your children (it was directed at middle/upper class parents) get that anorexic letter telling them they wouldn't be getting into their first choice, or any, college.

Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews are the most posh Univesities as they are the most traditional in the United Kingdom and what most people would say when asked that question. :smile:
Reply 149
I hate Rah's, end of.
Original post by Crimsonchilli
any rahs at B'ham or York ?

i live in york, and although there is a shedload of private schools in the area, and a lot of the people that go to the schools are 'rah', i dont think the uni has much of a reputation for rahs.

however, to warn you, a lot of the sixth form private school kids go out on weekends and think they're gods gift to mankind.
Original post by yahyahyahs
I was just looking through some old threads and the usual suspects turn up, but I wanted to know what others thought. Of course Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Exeter were mentioned quite a lot in those threads, and for some reason, Nottingham appeared every now and then. Also, I was reading an old Times article that said that Newcastle was the new place to be, saying it was the alternative if your children (it was directed at middle/upper class parents) get that anorexic letter telling them they wouldn't be getting into their first choice, or any, college.

I'm from Newcastle and that's the funniest thing I've heard all day! From living here, my impression of the city is that it is full of fun, laid-back people who enjoy a night out and aren't afraid of hard work - certainly not the kind of posh toffs you find in Oxford, etc.
Original post by Lewroll
Jesus christ. *note to self- never leave London*

according to The Times, you might want to delay that decision:

(%applicants from a state school)

1 Oxford 53.4
2 Cambridge 57.0
3 StAndrews 60.1
4=Bristol 61.5
4=Durham 61.5
6 University
CollegeLondon 64.6
7 Imperial
CollegeLondon 65.1
8 LSE 66.2

9 Nottingham 69.3
10 Edinburgh 70.3
11 Exeter 71.0
12 Newcastle 71.1
13 OxfordBrookes 71.9
14 King'sCollege
London 72.3
15 Leeds 73.3
16 Soas 75.4
17 Warwick 76.0
18 Bath 76.5
19 Manchester 78.5
20 RoyalHolloway 79.8
Reply 153
Educate me oh tsr-ians. what is meant by 'rah'?
Original post by ahnaf.c
Educate me oh tsr-ians. what is meant by 'rah'?

This is the urban dictionary definition:

Someone who went to private school (or wish they had), likes rugby (not football), probably a member of a rowing, sailing or yachting club, refer to their parents as "Mummy and Daddy". Boys: often seen to be wearing a lemon (or any pastel shade) sweatshirt slung casually over their shoulders and deck shoes.
Girls: Dress similar to that of boys along with pearls, numerous shopping bags and Daddy's credit card.
Names often include: Rupert, Will, Guy, Jeremy, Emily, Alexandra, Henrietta, Harriet. Followed by a double/triple barrelled surname, e.g. Harrington-Smythe.
Look at her, she is so rah.
Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
St. Andrews

The amount of posh students I see in Durham is ridiculous. Fortunately it's Christmas, so Durham City Centre is fairly rah-free :biggrin:
Original post by nexttime
according to The Times, you might want to delay that decision:

(%applicants from a state school)

1 Oxford 53.4
2 Cambridge 57.0
3 StAndrews 60.1
4=Bristol 61.5
4=Durham 61.5
6 University
CollegeLondon 64.6
7 Imperial
CollegeLondon 65.1
8 LSE 66.2

9 Nottingham 69.3
10 Edinburgh 70.3
11 Exeter 71.0
12 Newcastle 71.1
13 OxfordBrookes 71.9
14 King'sCollege
London 72.3
15 Leeds 73.3
16 Soas 75.4
17 Warwick 76.0
18 Bath 76.5
19 Manchester 78.5
20 RoyalHolloway 79.8

That's applicants, I'd like to see those who are actually enrolled. Newcastle wasn't that bad when I was there, but there are a lot of Rugby players, whether that is RAH to you, then you won't like it, if RAH is in general being a **** yah and being all like this yah, then you'll easily be able to avoid those ones.
(edited 13 years ago)
What's a rah?
Nah I kid - I go to Brookes.....
Reply 158
Oh dont. Oxford Brookes is my third UCAs choice.. I just think oxfords a beautiful town, amazing architecture.
But the rahs, oh dear.
Reply 159
Just go to a uni you think you'll like and try not to be influenced by stereotypes. It should mostly be about the course though.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending