The Student Room Group

Arrogant, middle-class students

You know the types...

Always banging on about their (unimpressive) parents, who are either in middle-management, a high street solicitor, etc. Constantly feel the need to talk about how many bedrooms their middle-of-the-range, rural houses have, or how they have a study or a games room. Showing off their gadgets, such as games consoles and other products. Walking around in Jack Wills and other middle-class brands where the name/logo is in your face.

We get it, hunny - you're middle-class. You don't own a mansion, nor is your father CEO of a FTSE 100 company. Your attempts at showing off are grossly unimpressive and just make you look like an arrogant tit.

The weird thing is, I have found that people who do have impressive parents/lives rarely wish to talk about it or show off. It's just those with mediocre, middle-class parents/lives who feel the need to show off.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A Tory slagging off the middle classes?

My head is exploding at this unexpected clash of culture.
Reply 2
Oh Maggie
Reply 3
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
You know the types...
Not really. The only place I've ever come across them is in the descriptions given of them by TSR users...
Reply 4
I can honestly say I've never met any middle class people like this. My school was full of people from middle class backgrounds, but they were perfectly nice people.
Reply 5
I'm disgusted by middle-class kids: what right do they have to splash out on things like Jack Wills while perceiving no consequences? They should bloody well save that money up till they know how to use it like my parents encouraged me to do. I'm middle-class myself but none of this pansying about for me. As a result I, too, find middle-class kids terribly pretentious and cosseted and can only hang with/relate to working class kids.

Lol never had so many negs in one go! You'll see what I mean when all your friends who are careful with money - no matter what their class - have a sweet-ass portfolio on the go in their twenties rather than throwing it away on overpriced tat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Implosion imminent.
Reply 7
agreed! I live with one, and he is very spoilt and very annoying =/
Reply 8
I've read in a sociology study that it tends to be that as soon as working class get money, they glorify it through material means. This is held untrue for middle classes who tend to save and invest in their future.
Reply 9
What's your social class, Margaret Thatcher?
Reply 10
Not all of them are like that. :erm:
Reply 11
surely such a contradiction in such an iconic person's views suggests the end of the world is nigh?
Reply 12
lol naah

Live and let live.
You also talk as though if they -did- have a mansion and a ridiculously rich background and bragged about it you would be okay with this because it is actually 'impressive'. Bit twisted.
Reply 13
I agree, OP. It's vomit inducing. I'm embarrassed for the type of person you are referring to, it's as if they think the image they are portraying is actually something that impresses - when the truth is it couldn't be any less impressive.
Reply 14
I know, it's sad that some people feel to the need to express and carve out an identity from their parents money.
Original post by ussumane
What's your social class, Margaret Thatcher?

Her father was a green grocer...
Original post by Ribbits
lol naah

Live and let live.
You also talk as though if they -did- have a mansion and a ridiculously rich background and bragged about it you would be okay with this because it is actually 'impressive'. Bit twisted.

Certainly more impressive than a rural house and a middle-class job at least.
Reply 17

You should have made that the thread title. For lulz.
Original post by lonely14
Not all of them are like that. :erm:

Haha the hiden message behind your post is "I'm middle class and I'm nice!".

or at least thats what I saw :rolleyes:
Reply 19
I go to uni with some very middle class people, but none of them are really like that and are genuinely pretty nice, very cultured and down to earth. You might get the odd one or two, but they're the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

Original post by Hamesh
I've read in a sociology study that it tends to be that as soon as working class get money, they glorify it through material means. This is held untrue for middle classes who tend to save and invest in their future.

Yeah it's termed "old money" and "new money" :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending