The Student Room Group

Which A-levels?!

I am currentley deciding which A-levels i'm going to be taking in september, i want to study law in university, as i want to be a barrister.
I'm wondering what A-levels are preferable for law courses?
I've heard history is good, but i didn't do that for GCSE so i have no idea what would be good to choose?
Help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by leoniedonaldson
I am currentley deciding which A-levels i'm going to be taking in september, i want to study law in university, as i want to be a barrister.
I've heard history is good, but i didn't do that for GCSE so i have no idea what would be good to choose?

Any from English Literature/Language, History, Government and Politics, Economics and MFL.

A good mix would be-
English Literature
History
Maths
Chemistry/Physics/Language
Reply 3
History and English literature are very good "traditional subjects". Politics and economics could also prove useful.

Law apparently does no harm to your application but some unis want a clean slate when you arrive. Maths could also be good if you're strong at it.
Reply 4
Ok, so apparently they like to see a mix of subjects, but I have found that all they really want are at least 2-3 good traditional subjects.
Like others have said, taking Law as an A level subject will not advantage you in any way.
I would recommend any 4 of the following: English Literature, History, a modern language, Latin, Greek, Philosophy, Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics...etc. You can see where I'm going with this - basically more 'traditional' subjects.
However, if I had to choose for myself, I would say English Literature and History are very important and then a foreign/ancient language and Maths/Economics in order to show a variety of skills :smile:
thank you all for your help! :smile:
i'm awful at maths and languages though :frown: i was considering: history, geography, goverment and politics and classical civilsation.
what do you think?

I would highly recommend English Literature, as it is a highly respected A Level and falls into the "hard" category. See if you can take History. History and English Literature are practically the prerequisites for a successful Law applicant, IMO.
i'm awful at maths and languages though :frown: i was considering: history, geography, goverment and politics and classical civilsation.
what do you think?

Definitely not geography. Perhaps ascience?
History, English Lit and what ever two subjects you think you will most enjoy. (Y)
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
Definitely not geography. Perhaps ascience?

why not geography? it's just that's only one i think i'll definitely be able to do well in
why not geography? it's just that's only one i think i'll definitely be able to do well in

I don't think you will find it very useful in law. What are your predicted GCSE grades?
i've done some of my GCSEs i got 4 As and 3 Bs and i'm predicted A/Bs at the minute. geography was one i got an A in. i'm just worried i won't be able to meet the AAA requirments for when i get to uni if i take subjects i can't do :/
Reply 12
Yes English Literature and History are seen as 'good' A Levels for Law but I've got 4 offers with neither so I wouldn't worry too much if you're deadset against Lit. I thought the course looked boring so took Combined (which is seen as 'less respected') and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm :smile:
Original post by anoif_
Yes English Literature and History are seen as 'good' A Levels for Law but I've got 4 offers with neither so I wouldn't worry too much if you're deadset against Lit. I thought the course looked boring so took Combined (which is seen as 'less respected') and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm :smile:

that's exactly how i feel about the course :smile:! thank you! i didn't do history at GCSE, would i be able to handle it at A-level do you think?

You might find this helpful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11650774&highlight=best%20a%20levels%20law
Reply 15

If you want to be a lawyer, don't study Law. Universities don't really like that. History is great, you could always pick it and drop it if it got to be to strenuous. Politics is brilliant, and try English Lit. or Economics :smile:

make sure you pick subjects you like though, A-levels suck when you dislike the subject.
Reply 16
that's exactly how i feel about the course :smile:! thank you! i didn't do history at GCSE, would i be able to handle it at A-level do you think?

War poetry just isn't my thing and I felt like some aspects of the AQA course which we do at my school on features of prepared speech etc were actually quite transferrable for Law :smile: I did History at GCSE but not for A Level, however, from what I can work out (and I'm no expert!) you don't really need to have an previous knowledge of history because the topics you do are completely different. I also think that the skillset needed for History A Level can basically be founded on those you learn from other subjects. So I think if you were passionate about History and wanted to do it then, yes, you'd easily be able to handle it! :smile:
I'd recommend English literature, history and a language- I've heard that's a perfect combination for Law :smile:
Reply 18
what do you think?

That sounds like a brilliant combination to me. Of course, I would say English Literature is a very good A level for Law...but, it is much better to do subjects that you are going to do well in. Also, my friend just got a Cambridge interview for Law and she's doing all sciences!
Also, Geography is a respected A level, so if you think you will do best in it, then there's no problem with choosing it :smile:
Reply 19
History
English Lit
Maths/A Science/Economics
A Language/Philosophy

is what I'd recommend but generally any respected academic subjects would put you in good stead. DON'T take Law A level though.

EDIT: just seen your second post. I think History/Geography/Politics/English would be a good mix.

Quick Reply

Latest