The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2900
Original post by silent ninja
I think the main problem (for me anyway) is that, besides HTC, every Android phone needs some kind of tinkering to get it working right. That's annoying. iPhone works great out the box, although it is limited and to get your moneys worth it needs to be be jailbroke. The other little annoyance which I'm sure google will iron out, is the bugginess. There are odd crashes, scrolling jerkiness (big problem imo which will grate a lot of users coming from Apple), reboots etc. Android still does not feel like a finished product, whereas iOS is slick and fluid but more limited.

I don't see Apple going anywhere any time soon, they will be the leader for a while yet imo. Android will overtake iOS in the os war but Apple will still be the leader in the pack imo. The App Store (inc games) is the other big plus point for iOS.

I know what you mean, I bought the SGS knowing full well I'd have to play around with it and tbh it's quite fun :biggrin: I'm getting addicted to flashing my phone every other day. It's why I enjoy using Android more, each phone has so many devs coming up with fixes for literally everything trying to make the phone the finished product it should have been. Like for my phone, Samsung never put in an LED for notification so instead they made a fix so that the two buttons lit up when you've had a missed call/message or whatever and it works just as well imo.

I'm not saying Apple are dead but I do think that Android is coming on a lot faster than Apple is and you can see that game developers are starting to make games for both platforms.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by robynroo
thanks for the sarcasm.

Im just joking here you go

www.zedge.net
Reply 2902
not as in background images (:
i'm fine for that (:
i meant as in skins, layout etc.

not as in background images (:
i'm fine for that (:
i meant as in skins, layout etc.

Launcher Pro? ADW launcher...
Reply 2904
Original post by bigmo7
I know what you mean, I bought the SGS knowing full well I'd have to play around with it and tbh it's quite fun :biggrin: I'm getting addicted to flashing my phone every other day. It's why I enjoy using Android more, each phone has so many devs coming up with fixes for literally everything trying to make the phone the finished product it should have been. Like for my phone, Samsung never put in an LED for notification so instead they made a fix so that the two buttons lit up when you've had a missed call/message or whatever and it works just as well imo.

I'm not saying Apple are dead but I do think that Android is coming on a lot faster than Apple is and you can see that game developers are starting to make games for both platforms.

There is an app called NoLED which does a great job for phones sans LED
Reply 2905
Have mah Nexus S :h:
Reply 2906
Original post by yoyo462001
Launcher Pro? ADW launcher...

Zeam is another one, I've grown to like it more and more :h:

Original post by mprules
There is an app called NoLED which does a great job for phones sans LED

Just tried it but not as good as neldars fix with the buttons lighting up. Still at least this one works with all lag fixes as opposed to the former. Thanks.
Reply 2907

More here Clicky

If Google ever asked me to work with them :moon:
Woop woop. The LG Optimus 2x Gets a January European release.
Opera mini: Is it just me or does this browser not seem to auto size text to the size of your screen? When zooming in on an article on bbc news I had to zigzag left to right since a few words from most sentence seemed to venture out of my view...

Is there a way to stop this? I like opera but can't really use it like this.

Also, I like to use wapedia when going on wikipedia articles, with the basic internet it goes to this but not so with opera.
(edited 13 years ago)
Use firefox :P
Original post by mikeyd85

I need a new iPod and so I think I am just going to get this phone :smile:
Original post by wizard710

Original post by wizard710
I need a new iPod and so I think I am just going to get this phone :smile:

Double Twist has made not using my Ipod nano all the more easier :yes: Now to just get myself of itunes :sigh:
Original post by blueray
Use firefox :P

From the reviews it looks awful :P

Double Twist has made not using my Ipod nano all the more easier :yes: Now to just get myself of itunes :sigh:

Same :smile:

The only problem I have is many of the albums I have are compilations and winamp still doesn't handle compilations as good as itunes does. Oh well I have remembered I still have my old iPod classic which I am now going to use until that breaks and then I will see what phones are on the market hopefully in september when I am due an upgrade :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2916

Sweeeet. What d'ya think the dev'll be like on this? I don't think the Nexus S dev will be as prominent as the Nexus one dev support was, so I'm considering this heh.
Original post by Kaph
Sweeeet. What d'ya think the dev'll be like on this? I don't think the Nexus S dev will be as prominent as the Nexus one dev support was, so I'm considering this heh.

I'm hoping it comes out with 2.3,gets rooted damn quick so I can Vanilla it ASAP and then think about honeycomb in the future.
Reply 2918
I'm hoping it comes out with 2.3,gets rooted damn quick so I can Vanilla it ASAP and then think about honeycomb in the future.

From what I've read it seems it's coming with 2.2, with LG stating a 2.3 update will be available. LG don't lock the bootloaders though, so you should be able to whack a new ROM on easypeasy, compared to Moto.
Used Launcher Pro for all but 1 minute and it was laggy when going between homescreens, so I switched back to sense.

Did you enable caching? Once it's cached all the screens, it's as smooth as silk, even on my comparatively underpowered SanFran.

Latest

Trending

Trending