The Student Room Group

School Uniforms: Looking at both sides of the argument

Poll

Should school uniforms be banned?

Most people in the world disapprove of the concept of school uniforms existing in public schools, despite this, a few individuals (primarily lower-class individuals living in England) approve of the concept. So let's just take a moment and look at the pros and cons of school uniforms.

Why school uniforms shouldn't ever exist in public schools:
-Students work better when they are able to choose their own attire.

-This is one thing that separates public schools from private schools, since private (often religious) schools have them, and public schools don't. If you want your son/daughter to wear a uniform, you send them to a private school, if not, then don't.

-Contrary to popular belief, real life school uniforms are (for the most part) not the sexy and revealing uniforms that anime shows, and they are usually hideous looking garbs.

-It gives students the ability to express themselves in a healthy and non-violent manner.

-Uniforms repress and punish individuality.

-Students who wear uniforms often find them uncomfortable.

-It's unnecessary totalitarianism and a limitation of freedoms.

-Uniforms have proven

-Uniforms do not prevent bullying.

-No one would listen to the rule, because you can't give someone freedom their entire life, and then just take it away, students, especially in high school, would just ignore the rule.

-If such a rule was ever passed, it would start protesting, riots, and rebellion. I've witnessed this first-hand when the school board of a district in my area tried to pass a rule requiring uniforms, and many students and parents protested and started a petition, banning the passage of their uniform rule.

-Uniforms are often expensive, more expensive than normal clothing. Also, bear in mind that it is not required to have the latest and greatest most popular fashion.

-Most students dress appropriately anyway, and most responsible school boards do have some minor guidelines prohibiting too revealing or inappropriate clothing from being worn (i.e. coming to school in your underwear, or wearing a shirt that advocates using meth).

-Uniforms wouldn't stop gangs if such gangs existed (there are no gangs in my area, so I wouldn't know much about that). Assigning a uniform would just be trying to blanket the gang issue, instead of getting to the heart of the problem (putting an end to the gangs).

-It makes normal clothing almost entirely useless since what's the point of owning normal clothes if you can only wear it two days a week?

-Uniforms would promote violence, since many people don't like the idea of school uniforms, so more people would shoot up school board meetings, from political activists who are against school uniforms and willing to become martyrs for their beliefs against school uniforms.

-Sub-culture is not a bad thing, and not having uniforms allows students to explore both mainstream culture and sub-culture, should they wish to.

"Good" things that school uniforms can possibly bring:
-It eliminates the ability for students to choose their own clothing, because if it actually worked (which it wouldn't), it could in theory make it so that they have to wear the same thing everyday.

-It forces people to actually care about school pride, whereas normal schools that don't force school uniforms often do NOT require students to actually take "pride" in their school. But even this "pro" for school uniforms is a fallacy, since just because you wear a uniform depicting something, doesn't necessarily mean you support it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok.
Reply 2
Public means private school btw. You're talking about comprehensives.

-This is one thing that separates public schools from private schools, since private (often religious) schools have them, and public schools don't. If you want your son/daughter to wear a uniform, you send them to a private school, if not, then don't.

I haven't seen any comprehensive schools that don't have uniforms :erm: It's only in 6th form where there seems to be a difference.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SaturnVengeance
Contrary to popular belief, real life school uniforms are (for the most part) not the sexy and revealing uniforms that anime shows, and they are usually hideous looking garbs.
Maybe not in the United Kingdom but it sure does exist in Asia...
The point about individuality is so stupid. What if a girl wanted to dress like a slut? By telling them to cover up you're suppressing their individuality!

What a load of *******s. Pupils are INDIVIDUAL anyway.
Reply 5
One good thing about school uniforms is that they don't make poor children feel disadvantaged when they see another 13 year old idiot bragging about the expensive brand clothes he wears at school.......with daddy's and mammy's money.
Most people in the world disapprove of the concept of school uniforms existing in public schools, despite this, a few individuals (primarily lower-class individuals living in England) approve of the concept. So let's just take a moment and look at the pros and cons of school uniforms.

Why school uniforms shouldn't ever exist in public schools:

-Contrary to popular belief, real life school uniforms are (for the most part) not the sexy and revealing uniforms that anime shows, and they are usually hideous looking garbs.

-It gives students the ability to express themselves in a healthy and non-violent manner.

-Uniforms have proven

-Uniforms do not prevent bullying.

-No one would listen to the rule, because you can't give someone freedom their entire life, and then just take it away, students, especially in high school, would just ignore the rule.

-If such a rule was ever passed, it would start protesting, riots, and rebellion. I've witnessed this first-hand when the school board of a district in my area tried to pass a rule requiring uniforms, and many students and parents protested and started a petition, banning the passage of their uniform rule.

-Uniforms are often expensive, more expensive than normal clothing. Also, bear in mind that it is not required to have the latest and greatest most popular fashion.

-Most students dress appropriately anyway, and most responsible school boards do have some minor guidelines prohibiting too revealing or inappropriate clothing from being worn (i.e. coming to school in your underwear, or wearing a shirt that advocates using meth).

-Uniforms wouldn't stop gangs if such gangs existed (there are no gangs in my area, so I wouldn't know much about that). Assigning a uniform would just be trying to blanket the gang issue, instead of getting to the heart of the problem (putting an end to the gangs).

-It makes normal clothing almost entirely useless since what's the point of owning normal clothes if you can only wear it two days a week?

-Uniforms would promote violence, since many people don't like the idea of school uniforms, so more people would shoot up school board meetings, from political activists who are against school uniforms and willing to become martyrs for their beliefs against school uniforms.

-Sub-culture is not a bad thing, and not having uniforms allows students to explore both mainstream culture and sub-culture, should they wish to.

"Good" things that school uniforms can possibly bring:
-It eliminates the ability for students to choose their own clothing, because if it actually worked (which it wouldn't), it could in theory make it so that they have to wear the same thing everyday.

-It forces people to actually care about school pride, whereas normal schools that don't force school uniforms often do NOT require students to actually take "pride" in their school. But even this "pro" for school uniforms is a fallacy, since just because you wear a uniform depicting something, doesn't necessarily mean you support it.

School uniform is a custom and tradition here, it's something our state schools have done for a long time, and I think works.
Most head teachers and educational experts support the use of school uniforms,- do a quick Google search.

"Kids work better when they can chose their own attire"<- Can I see a study? Can we have some representative and valid statistics? Can we see some proof of this claim? What about other factors,- e.g between schools,- perhaps the children in the other school naturally worked better....

You've not look at both sides of the argument, at all really. Two points which you've said are good, with good being in quotes, with way more looking at against. Do you think this is actually "looking at both sides"?

No one cares about school uniform, it's a fact of school life.
There are far many more pressing issues...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7

You seem to be very confused in your arguments here.

A public school is a private school.

Your interpretation of a public school is a state school.

The rest of your arguments are utter rubbish IMO.
Original post by cambo211
You seem to be very confused in your arguments here.

A public school is a private school.

Your interpretation of a public school is a state school.

The rest of your arguments are utter rubbish IMO.

This too!
Reply 9
Yes and im sure that people wearing their own clothes instead of uniform wont pick on those who can afford the latest fashions at all...
There is pros and cons to it but really what difference does it make, you go to school to learn, not have a fashion parade, pupils still have their individuality through their personality and when they get a job they mainly have to adhere to a dress code, may as well get them used to it.
I didn't mind wearing uniform...it's hard enough having to pick a clean pair of jeans and t-shirt i haven't worn already in th epast few days in sixth form -.-
I don't think sixth formers should have to wear uniform. Lower school definitely should. It pisses me off that I go to a sixth form with uniform because I'm already short and flat chested, in my uniform I look about 13. :mad:
Reply 12
School uniform makes life easier. Put the same thing on everyday, like everyone else no questions asked. Now I'm in Sixth Form I sometimes struggle to find things to wear nearer the end of the week. God forbid someone wear the same top or jumper twice in a single week :rolleyes:
I generally disagree with uniforms too, but ****ing hell you have put forward some really rediculous arguments there.

Most state schools in this country have uniforms, but as far as i know it is not a mandatory requirement for schools to have a uniform. So i think it could be very interesting if more state schools in this country experimented in scrapping uniforms, then we could actually get a decent comparison.
Reply 14

Proof?

It obviously isn't. I went to a state school and I had a uniform. Therefore, you are wrong.

Rubbish.

How? And proof?

Again, absolute rubbish. You seriously need to get out of your box.

So you can wear it for those two days...?

Now you are just being ridiculous.

Personally, I'm not a fan of uniforms, but your arguments were so dumb I felt I had to respond.
Original post by super.teve

You've not look at both sides of the argument, at all really. Two points which you've said are good, with good being in quotes, with way more looking at against. Do you think this is actually "looking at both sides"?

^ Well spoken.

I always liked uniform - it meant that I didn't have to muck about for hours in the morning with what to wear.

I think a lot of people are relentlessly nieve about uniform though - it doesn't actually stop people really wearing what they want - there's 500 different styles of trousers to choose from, and as long as they were black you could get away with it at my school, not to mention belts, shoes, bags etc. having limitless options. Uniform, moaning about it and finding cunning (at least to a 13 year old) ways to 'subvert the uniform rules' is a part of secondary education and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Original post by Zakky
The point about individuality is so stupid. What if a girl wanted to dress like a slut? By telling them to cover up you're suppressing their individuality!

What a load of *******s. Pupils are INDIVIDUAL anyway.

This.

Wearing a uniform makes you feel like a part of something, have pride in your school and such.

If there were no uniforms, some pupils wouldn't have any boundaries and would dress inappropriately.. It's bad enough when you see girls in skirts with the hemlines way too high but if they could chose their own clothes anyway..

And think of the kids whose parents can't afford to buy a whole bunch of clothes for them to have clean things every school day.

Just my 2 cents.
i think uniform's a good thing, mainly because you lessen the amount of judging that goes on in relation to whether people have that latest piece of clothing (though of course people are judgemental in other ways, but at least it helps a little). I used to always find non-uniform days terrible because i'd have to have planned what i'm wearing nights beforehand to make sure i didn't end up in a creased top and unwashed jeans :tongue:
1) You don't know what public and private schools mean 2) you are clear biased 3) your arguments are crap

Oh and I would rather uniform until 6th form where smart business-ware is permitted. By which I mean suits and blazers (not sports jackets this is not America) for the boys and business-ware for girls (suits/ suitable blouses etc.).

Why? I think people should look smart. Oh and the uniforms would have some sense of style.
I think uniforms are good- but don't like the way that some schools are branding their PE kits with logos to make sure that the parents HAVE to buy them from the school- just money making.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending