The Student Room Group

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music?

When finding out that someone has certain musical tastes, do you ever assume their general level of intelligence, or other aspects of their personality? Same applies to class etc. Is it something that you feel is an important factor in terms of getting on with someone? Examples welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wahaaaay
When finding out that someone has certain musical tastes, do you ever assume their general level of intelligence, or other aspects of their personality? Same applies to class etc. Is it something that you feel is an important factor in terms of getting on with someone? Examples welcome.

I used to be really judgemental about someone who say listened to Rap or Hip Hop and that they were all chavs, but now I realise that they're not all that bad people..

But still I remain bitter about those who listen to pop punk; seriously dire stuff...

People who listen to indie are generally those who do the typical Manchester stuff of going to football, getting pissed :blah:. What the majority of my friends are made up of, great guys usually.
I don't mind that much about people's tastes. Though, when I find someone with the same tastes as me, it's nice cos we have something nice in common that we can chat about. Other than that, it doesn't matter much.

I've found though, that many rock fans tend to be pretty obnoxious. No offence, but it's generally true, unless someone can really prove me wrong.
A lot. Mainly because it's your personality that dictates what kind of music you're drawn to, in my opinion. You can make a pretty good guess of what people are like by what kind of music they listen to.
Reply 4
Original post by Willum Infanta

But still I remain bitter about those who listen to pop punk; seriously dire stuff...

Amen, when I hear someone in their 20's say they listen to New Found Glory and Yellowcard etc I actually find it hard to believe.

I also hate the 'I listen to anything!' people who basically mean they listen to the most commercial overplayed group in every genre, ie Kings of Leon, David Guetta and Pendulum.
Reply 5
Probably influences quite a bit of my initial assessment, although naturally that can be subject to further change.
Original post by Jono404
Amen, when I hear someone in their 20's say they listen to New Found Glory and Yellowcard etc I actually find it hard to believe.

I also hate the 'I listen to anything!' people who basically mean they listen to the most commercial overplayed group in every genre, ie Kings of Leon, David Guetta and Pendulum.

You can't expect people to stick to a single genre of music though. I'm a huge metal fan, but I'll listen to some J-Pop/Rap etc. every now and then... and enjoy it.
Reply 7
Original post by Misogynist
You can't expect people to stick to a single genre of music though. I'm a huge metal fan, but I'll listen to some J-Pop/Rap etc. every now and then... and enjoy it.

Not at all, I listen mostly to rock/grunge/metal and various subgenres of dance/electronic music but it would be nice if said people scratched under the surface and looked for stuff a little less commercial.
Judging based on music taste is like judging based on what colour shirt someone is wearing, it's completely irrelevant.
Reply 9
A fair ammount if it's the first time I'm meeting them. Not so much if I know them already.
I used to be really judgemental about someone who say listened to Rap or Hip Hop and that they were all chavs, but now I realise that they're not all that bad people..

People who listen to indie are generally those who do the typical Manchester stuff of going to football, getting pissed :blah:. What the majority of my friends are made up of, great guys usually.

Too bloody right :five:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I don't mind that much about people's tastes. Though, when I find someone with the same tastes as me, it's nice cos we have something nice in common that we can chat about. Other than that, it doesn't matter much.

I've found though, that many rock fans tend to be pretty obnoxious. No offence, but it's generally true, unless someone can really prove me wrong.

yeah I think so too, rock fans do tend to be like that...though I am also a fan of rock and its subgenres but dont really judge those who listen to something else. As u said it's nice when someone has the same taste of music :smile:
Original post by Jono404

Ahh yes... I like tormenting them :colone:
Usually with Vaginal Carnage, Nortt, or Sterbend.
"Oh... you don't like it? But I thought you said you listen to anything?"

Yeah, I'm a mean **** sometimes :h:
Not at all, unless they come out with comments like, Cheryl Cole is amazing. Because she isn't, she can't sing live, play an instrument or write music. If they enjoy her songs, fair play, music is subjective, doesn't mean the likes of her are in any way amazing.
(edited 13 years ago)

hmm...I listen to indie but dont do any of those things...
Reply 15
I don't give a ****, unless you try and say the likes of Justin Beeber are "talented".
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

If you think rock fans are obnoxious, then I sincerely hope you never happen across the people in black metal who consider themselves "kvlt", or the thrashers who populate the Metal-Archive forums.
It's usually a hilarious clash between the two with many a ban on both sides :teehee:
Rarely ever. People i do judge however, are indie fans who absolutely adore a band but if they get signed, decide that the said band is not 'cool' enough for them and has become too mainstream.

Why the hell can you not listen to music that you actually like instead of worrying about it becoming too populer? Surely if you actually liked the artist you wouldn't be bothered about how famous they've become, and hey as their fans, you might even be happy for them?
Original post by channy
I don't give a ****, unless you try and say the likes of Justin Beeber are "talented".

Tru dat.

I'll stop spamming this thread at some point, I swear...
Reply 19
Actually i used to think, quite naively that only stupid people listen to hiphop - but i was completely and utterly wrong. In fact most of my music generalisations don't really work and thus actually I dont think its possible to judge someone's intelligence or character by their favourite type of music

Quick Reply

Latest