The Student Room Group

Asians, are you allowed to marry a girl/guy of your choice?

Question open to all, but mainly targeted at South-Asians. Are you allowed to marry a person of your choice, even if he/she doesn't originate from the same country as you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah. :yeah:
Reply 2
I hope they are. But im guessing it depends on the family right?
Reply 3
Quite simply, no.
Reply 4
sorry about adding a question to your thread OP but....

For those who say no can you say why it is? I assume for the large majority it's their families view not their own. Is it because of some sort of ethnic superiority complex? As in a non-South Asian partner wouldn't be as...good, for some reason? Purity of blood lines and racial mixing not approved of?
Reply 5
Original post by qwerty_mad
Question open to all, but mainly targeted at South-Asians. Are you allowed to marry a person of your choice, even if he/she doesn't originate from the same country as you?

Lol of course! Most South Asian countries are multiethnic anyway, right?

Why would it matter specifically whether or not they originated in the same nation? (especially if the said South Asian person is living outside South Asia)
Reply 6
Is this somewhat of a family policy?
Reply 7
Original post by joey11223

For those who say no can you say why it is? I assume for the large majority it's their families view not their own. Is it because of some sort of ethnic superiority complex? As in a non-South Asian partner wouldn't be as...good, for some reason? Purity of blood lines and racial mixing not approved of?

Actually, if a South Asian person reproduced with a non-South Asian person surely there would be a statistically lower probability of genetic diseases caused by double recessivity being expressed?
Reply 8
Yes, I can.

But, it depends on the other person as well. I was really keen on this beautiful Afghan girl, but eventually we ended it because her parents want her to marry a Muslim, and not only a Muslim, but he also had to be Afghan. Both. I am neither, so that was the end of that.
Reply 9

yes, as long as my parents choose a couple of appropriate people then I'm allowed to choose out of that selection.

Does that count?
Reply 10
Original post by joey11223

Culture and religion.
Original post by ManAbout
Yes, I can.

But, it depends on the other person as well. I was really keen on this beautiful Afghan girl, but eventually we ended it because her parents want her to marry a Muslim, and not only a Muslim, but he also had to be Afghan. Both. I am neither, so that was the end of that.

ooooo yep im sort of afghan, well speak thier language anyway and thats how it roles with us, has to be totally the same afghan not even a different cast :O x
Reply 12
No. I get asked out a lot, but say no, because I just don't think it would be fair :frown: Silly parents.
I'm Oriental Chinese and I can, whichever race..guy or girl(I'm straight) my family have no saying in my business and they cannot tell me what I want.
Reply 14
Original post by RoshniDiya
Quite simply, no.

Why are you not allowed? Say he was of the same religion, if you follow any.
Reply 15
Original post by catty khan
ooooo yep im sort of afghan, well speak thier language anyway and thats how it roles with us, has to be totally the same afghan not even a different cast :O x

But how can you marry an Afghan who is 'totally the same' if you're only 'sort of afghan'?
Reply 16
Original post by catty khan

Yeah, it's such a shame, cos Afghan and Persian girls are sooooo gorgeous. I think I just gotta find one who is willing to rebel against her family and run away with me.
Why are you not allowed? Say he was of the same religion, if you follow any.

Oh, i would be able to if he was of the same religion. As in born into the religion, it wouldn't even matter if he was an atheist. Would have to be of the same caste too. Then other factors come in such as his family status, background, family reputation.

My family wouldn't allow it. It's complete bull****, but you learn to live with the stupid sexist mother****in culture. :rolleyes:
Yes.

My parents are quite reasonable.

I offered my mother a well-considered feminist critique of her dislike of premarital sex, and now she's not so awkward about me sleeping with my boyfriend anymore.

Through mature debate comes truth.
well for pakistanis it's mostly arranged marriage so the parents choose the guy/girl but the western culture seems to be slowly getting there as well and i am hearing more and more people are turning to love marriages...for me (being pakistani) if i find love before 30 that i can honestly say i can spend my life with then i'll let my parents know and hopefully they'll accept my decision...but if not then i'll go with what they say

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending