The Student Room Group

Anyone else not bothered about learning to drive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am not that bothered to be honest. I don't know what the fuss is all about. I really can't afford to pay for insurance at the moment and also if I am going to uni next year, then is there any point in buying a car.
Me! Everyone keeps going on about it. I don't see whats wrong with the bus.
Reply 22
Original post by Law123mus
Me! Everyone keeps going on about it. I don't see whats wrong with the bus.

The bus is awful, your paying to get the bus which comes when ever it wants, usually packed especially during winter and in summer the rank smell of other people body odor. Yea £400+ for bus only oyster doesnt appeal to me due to the fact that your waiting on the bus, you should be able to go whenever you want.

But that isnt a valid reason to get a car unless you travel allot and can afford it.

Personally i learnt when i got my provisional license through the door, on and off driving with my dad and did the test with 5 lessons with a instructor to touch up on my skills and i passed first time round and spend £300ish using EMA to pay for it.

Now its out of the way, if i get a job that requires me to drive i can, if i have to drive to work on a regular basis, i can, i dont need to go through learning again, once it out of the way you'd be glad to have it their. You dont need to pass with the intention of driving in a few days, you can do it get it out of the way, cause you never know when you may need to be able to drive.

Ive had 2 friends who went to work and were offered a company vehicle for work and to use outside of work, and they had to do a crash course to get their license quickly or the company car would go to another employee. This is always the case but still.
Thing is, even if you don't plan on using it, getting it out the way now is a good investment for the future- nobody says you have to go to the expense of actually buying a car and paying insurance you wont use straight away, but when you do need it, it's there. And I have noticed a lot of jobs, even just part time student jobs, say they require or at least would prefer someone with a driving licence.

Personally, my hometown is really rural and public transport is terrible since there isn't enough people to justify a better service, so a driving licence is basically a necessity unless your mother is willing to drive you everywhere and anywhere at anytime =P But I still didn't feel "bothered" about learning until last week when my instructor told me I was about ready for my test. All of a sudden I can't freaking wait. It'll make uni just so much easier since I live quite a bit out of the city centre-the buses are almost always either packed or running late, usually a combination of both :p:- and it'll mean I can finally get doing something with my music, since right now I have no way of moving my stuff around :dontknow:
i really wanna do it so i can pick up chicks in my car lool! :biggrin:
Reply 25
I could have my provisional licence by now. But I don't. Because I really don't care
Original post by Spexzzz
The bus is awful, your paying to get the bus which comes when ever it wants, usually packed especially during winter and in summer the rank smell of other people body odor. Yea £400+ for bus only oyster doesnt appeal to me due to the fact that your waiting on the bus, you should be able to go whenever you want.

But that isnt a valid reason to get a car unless you travel allot and can afford it.

Personally i learnt when i got my provisional license through the door, on and off driving with my dad and did the test with 5 lessons with a instructor to touch up on my skills and i passed first time round and spend £300ish using EMA to pay for it.

Now its out of the way, if i get a job that requires me to drive i can, if i have to drive to work on a regular basis, i can, i dont need to go through learning again, once it out of the way you'd be glad to have it their. You dont need to pass with the intention of driving in a few days, you can do it get it out of the way, cause you never know when you may need to be able to drive.

Ive had 2 friends who went to work and were offered a company vehicle for work and to use outside of work, and they had to do a crash course to get their license quickly or the company car would go to another employee. This is always the case but still.

Yeh well good point, but for me it's either £20 for a lesson or £20 to spend on alcohol, pie or strippers:biggrin: If I save enough, i can get all 3 at once:wink:
Original post by babygirl110
Good luck when your job post graduation requires a full drivers license. It's easier/better to get out of the way whilst younger.

How many actually specify that, though?

A car is going to set me back nigh on a grand, so there's £1000.

Then there's tax and MOT, so say £1200.

Insurance, for me is £2500, neither of my parents drive atm. Where on earth am I going to find £2500 a year from without working full time? Most of the people I know who drive either work a lot, got a car for their birthday and are on their parents insurance.

I dont have the luxury of any of those. I won't need a car until after uni anyways. For now, I'm going to take my automatic license as it's much quicker to pass. Then when I need a car, I'll be able to get one. I can take my manual license whenever in the future. Young people are being priced out of driving, you'd need to be working at least 12 hours a week just to cover the insurance.
Reply 28
Original post by Law123mus
Yeh well good point, but for me it's either £20 for a lesson or £20 to spend on alcohol, pie or strippers:biggrin: If I save enough, i can get all 3 at once:wink:

Lolza, i guess it depends when you learn as well, especially being a student you can only choose from alcohol,pies and strippers. Lucky i used my EMA for something decent :3, I cant imagine funding driving lessons at Uni, im broke already, but then again ive learnt everything from my dad and only took lessons to touch up on me skills.:cool:
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!

Meeee :biggrin: I live really close to my school and the middle of town and I have train station very close to me :smile: Also I'm a bit scared of the responsibility, so not only do I not need to drive I don't really want to :cool:
Reply 30
I 30 and have never bothered learning to drive....it just never interested me. I have never needed a car, and never will need one. I'm pretty much a guy who likes to travel a lot and I'm not materialistic at all; I don't collect or horde possessions, I just have what I need.

If I need to get somewhere, I use public transport, or I get my driver to pick me up :-) (I.e. one of my girlfriends who has a car).

I think it's better for the environment that fewer people drive. There are far too many cars on the road as it is. Personally I'd rather spend my money on other things than running a car. For example I have my own flat, in a nice area and it's a decent size too. I'd much rather have my own place and be able to travel sometimes than have a car and then have to share a house with a bunch of people I don't get along with. I love living alone and having my own space, it's great! A car is not a necessity and in fact not owning one makes me feel freer than if I did.

It's never been an issue in my dating life either. If a girl ever refused to date me because I didn't drive/don't have a car, then she can **** off and doesn't deserve to be with me anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ilickbatteries
How many actually specify that, though?

A car is going to set me back nigh on a grand, so there's £1000.

Then there's tax and MOT, so say £1200.

Insurance, for me is £2500, neither of my parents drive atm. Where on earth am I going to find £2500 a year from without working full time? Most of the people I know who drive either work a lot, got a car for their birthday and are on their parents insurance.

I dont have the luxury of any of those. I won't need a car until after uni anyways. For now, I'm going to take my automatic license as it's much quicker to pass. Then when I need a car, I'll be able to get one. I can take my manual license whenever in the future. Young people are being priced out of driving, you'd need to be working at least 12 hours a week just to cover the insurance.

Suit yourself.

Well it all depends on the industry you plan to work in after graduation. If you are planning on working in the city then you wouldn't need a car at all. There are some jobs outside London that require a full clean driving license, it's certainly true for some health and social jobs. It's also a requirement for some sales jobs e.g. pharmaceutical sales. These are the ones I know of.

It's worth finding out what sort of requirements there are in the job specs for whatever you want to do.
(edited 13 years ago)
I passed when I was 17 and drove for 6 months towards the end of college. I loved it and it was a lot better to help me get around, rather than waiting for that bus anymore.
I am so jealous of people who can drive. One day I would love to do a roadtrip across America, and one across Europe, and even just driving the length and breadth of the UK. I am nearly 18 too and would love to learn to drive next year, once I have a job. I would see it as an investment. And I find getting public transport is such a pain!

But it's nice to know that not everyone is obsessed with it and are a bit more relaxed. :smile:
Original post by Spexzzz

I saved all my EMA for uni. I might set aside some of my student loan for it. But I'm going to London in the summer and need to save for that ... :frown: I wish I'd thought of that.

Well I do still have all my EMA, but I can't help thinking I should spend it on rent ...
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!

I have a driving test for 17th january 2011. To be honest I think when I pass I will stay with public transport for a couple of years. lessons are expensive and not to mention the theory test! as well as having the stress on top is not really worth it. Public transport is great. I can get to anywhere I want to be and it saves me a whole lot of money each month.
Original post by babygirl110
Suit yourself.

Well it all depends on the industry you plan to work in after graduation. If you are planning on working in the city then you wouldn't need a car at all. There are some jobs outside London that require a full clean driving license, it's certainly true for some health and social jobs. It's also a requirement for some sales jobs e.g. pharmaceutical sales. These are the ones I know of.

It's worth finding out what sort of requirements there are in the job specs for whatever you want to do.

Oh of course.

I'd just never heard of a grad job that specifically requested a full UK drivers license that's all. Cheers for clearing it up.
my two eldest sisters (29 and 27) never even considered learning to drive.maybe for them it's not so bad,they married early to men who could drive *rolls eyes* :'D i can understand why some people in cities like london don't feel the need to learn though.........it's not as if being a motorist is getting any cheaper ;(
Most people I've come across who didn't learn before they were 25 have regretted it later. While you live in a busy city like London, it doesn't always seem worth it at the time, but you may not always live in a busy city.

Its very common for people who have left it till later in life to take a lot longer to learn and to spend an awful lot more money on lessons, simply because when you're younger you soak up information a lot faster than you do when you're older.
Reply 39
Yes car ownership and maintaining the car is expensive.

But the learning to drive bit, the early its done and over with, the cheaper it is, because year on year DVLA can add new stuff to the tests to make it a bit harder for people to pass there tests and can raise the prices like the provisional driving license from £35 to now £50. And its more useful having a driving license for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending