The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rugbygreg
That run was the highlight of my season, for such a big man he can move!

it was a fat buy running with a food in his arms. did you see his stiff arm as well? jeez, that was amazing. I'm sad he didnt get the TD, he ****ing deserved it.
Original post by TheBlackMonster
it was a fat buy running with a food in his arms. did you see his stiff arm as well? jeez, that was amazing. I'm sad he didnt get the TD, he ****ing deserved it.

Would have loved to see him celebrate a TD.

Would have loved to see him celebrate a TD.

Words cannot describe how happy that would have made me! He was carrying that ball like a loaf of bread hahaa!
Original post by S129439
Words cannot describe how happy that would have made me! He was carrying that ball like a loaf of bread hahaa!

Collinsworth was amazing doing the commentary for that part. NBC really are the best for NFL...
Original post by RNBen
Haha, that is understandable. A friend of mine claims to be a Pats fan, though only actually owns a jersey; he has no idea how they are doing or who they even play week in week out. and rarely, if ever, checks on their progress.

Nah, we won't win the Superbowl, not by a long shot. But we entertain, no question about that, up there this season as one of, if not the most exciting offence in the league.

Then he's not really a Patriots fan :/

I have a friend (who is good for chatting about the NFL to) who supports the patriots but he likes the Ravens to win and the JETS! It's like wtf??? I have a go at him for supporting New England, Baltimore and New York all at the same time. It annoys me :frown: It's like supporting Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal all at the same time!

I wouldn't talk down your chances. I don't think the Eagles will win the superbowl but they could. I was reading on NFL.com earlier and saw that in pressure situations Vick is horrible! And Drew Brees. In the superbowl, defenses tend to bring the heat. When sacked 3 or more times in a game Brady wins 82% of games whereas Vick only wins 44% ( Drew Brees only wins 26% OMG!).

Thing is if they meet the Patriots then they could win because we have no pass rush. For a team to stop the Eagles they have to stop Vick. Simple. And not many teams are doing that well if at all! The Giants were but then they choked :/

As for your offense, when Vick is on form then it's as good as any I think. And I agree with you about McCoy. He is a great running back.
really, we just need to work on our defense. they need to be more consistent and they need to keep focused because I can see some glimpses of greatness from them.

and Connolly is the best linesman ever!

Firstly... DAN FREAKING CONNOLLY!

Problem areas:

- Safety. Meriweather is inconsistent and with a young group of DB's we need a leader safety who can step in and take charge of what will be a young secondary for years to come

- Pass rush. It's non existent. An OLB pass rusher for a 3-4 system would be great. Something like Clay Matthews of Cameron Wake would also fit the bill.

- O-Line. Despite Connolly's heroics, we are going to be short on line and protecting Brady is a top priority. Matt Light & Logan Mankins need new contracts while Stephen Neal will likely retire.

- Wide Receiver? This is of less concern. The pats have shown our offense is just as potent post-moss as when we had him. A deep man would make our offense irresistible but we have other areas of concern. After all defense wins championships.
You make a good point, personally I cannot see us winning against Philly if it comes to that, our defence is not good enough to stand the triple threat of Vick running, throwing and LeShaun McCoy who I rate as one of the best all round rb's in the league.

Who do you see as your main contenders in the AFC ? I like the look of the Chargers (their D is looking electric) and I would really love to see the Cheifs and their running game pay dividends and prove that the NFL isn't all about the pass game.

The jury is out with me. You could beat philly. But I don't know if you will. That would be a touch pick :L Great game to watch though!

I would say the Steelers seeing as they get Troy Polamalu back. The Chargers and the Chiefs are good teams. However only one of those teams will get in (unless baltimore or the jets lose their next two games, and the chiefs win out and the chargers win out). However having beaten the chargers already and us having home field advantage I think we would win. The chargers D, while very good, is not as good as the bears or the jets or the steelers which we have already blown out. If we are on form we should take the AFC.

1. Steelers
2. Ravens
3. Colts
4. Jets/Chargers
5. Chiefs

Unfortunately this is a pass league. We have a good to great run D and I think Bill could scheme Matt Cassel.
Original post by S129439
Then he's not really a Patriots fan :/

I have a friend (who is good for chatting about the NFL to) who supports the patriots but he likes the Ravens to win and the JETS! It's like wtf??? I have a go at him for supporting New England, Baltimore and New York all at the same time. It annoys me :frown: It's like supporting Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal all at the same time!

I wouldn't talk down your chances. I don't think the Eagles will win the superbowl but they could. I was reading on NFL.com earlier and saw that in pressure situations Vick is horrible! And Drew Brees. In the superbowl, defenses tend to bring the heat. When sacked 3 or more times in a game Brady wins 82% of games whereas Vick only wins 44% ( Drew Brees only wins 26% OMG!).

Thing is if they meet the Patriots then they could win because we have no pass rush. For a team to stop the Eagles they have to stop Vick. Simple. And not many teams are doing that well if at all! The Giants were but then they choked :/

As for your offense, when Vick is on form then it's as good as any I think. And I agree with you about McCoy. He is a great running back.

Supporting both the Pats and Jets is lunacy. Huge rivals in the same division. In fact supporting any of the AFC East teams other than the Phins is lunacy (Phins fan here).
In fairness though, the NFL isn't really a question of the Man Utds, Chelseas and Arsenals to the same degree. Yes, guys like Brady and Manning ensure their teams are there and there abouts most years but the majority of teams are up and down. Look at the Chiefs a year ago, now look at them. Chargers are often considered possible SB contenders at the start of the year, but if the Chiefs keep it up, they won't make the playoffs.

And yes, your pass rush is the weakest part of the team but it wouldn't be too much of a problem for you if both were to play each other. The Eagles' line has given up 38 sacks (80 Qb takedowns in total) this year. The Eagles' O-Line is better at run blocking. Vick has always been surprisingly easy to sack, if you look back at his time in Atlanta particularly...
Original post by S129439
Problem areas:

- Safety. Meriweather is inconsistent and with a young group of DB's we need a leader safety who can step in and take charge of what will be a young secondary for years to come

- Pass rush. It's non existent. An OLB pass rusher for a 3-4 system would be great. Something like Clay Matthews of Cameron Wake would also fit the bill.

- O-Line. Despite Connolly's heroics, we are going to be short on line and protecting Brady is a top priority. Matt Light & Logan Mankins need new contracts while Stephen Neal will likely retire.

- Wide Receiver? This is of less concern. The pats have shown our offense is just as potent post-moss as when we had him. A deep man would make our offense irresistible but we have other areas of concern. After all defense wins championships.

I think Arrington is much more inconsistent than Meriweather. McCourty shows glimpses of being good but eh...

and I think it's a shame that Moss left us. he is a really really good deep WR that showed off our offense. but I think Woodhead, Branch and Welker are amazing in of themselves, especially Woodhead. I think he's my favourite player at the moment.
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Supporting both the Pats and Jets is lunacy. Huge rivals in the same division. In fact supporting any of the AFC East teams other than the Phins is lunacy (Phins fan here).
In fairness though, the NFL isn't really a question of the Man Utds, Chelseas and Arsenals to the same degree. Yes, guys like Brady and Manning ensure their teams are there and there abouts most years but the majority of teams are up and down. Look at the Chiefs a year ago, now look at them. Chargers are often considered possible SB contenders at the start of the year, but if the Chiefs keep it up, they won't make the playoffs.

And yes, your pass rush is the weakest part of the team but it wouldn't be too much of a problem for you if both were to play each other. The Eagles' line has given up 38 sacks (80 Qb takedowns in total) this year. The Eagles' O-Line is better at run blocking. Vick has always been surprisingly easy to sack, if you look back at his time in Atlanta particularly...

i agree with you there. Teams have ups and downs and often dont live up to expectations (eg vikings, bengals & cowboys). Thats why nfl rules. Every team ets a shot at victory!!

And You could be right there. Vick is still a lot to handle mind you. Although with our 3-4 defense it wouldnt be too much to sacrifice if we kept one ilb as a qb spy. However vick is playing much better than when he was at atlanta. And most of the sacks on vick come from speed guys. We dont have a speed pass rush at all. Tully banta cain has his moments but its vince wilfork who applies most of the pressure
I think Arrington is much more inconsistent than Meriweather. McCourty shows glimpses of being good but eh...

and I think it's a shame that Moss left us. he is a really really good deep WR that showed off our offense. but I think Woodhead, Branch and Welker are amazing in of themselves, especially Woodhead. I think he's my favourite player at the moment.

Thing is Meriweather is a starter whereas we have a relatively deep set at cornerback. Arrington as opposed to meriweather isn't playing every down and in my opinion is just as reliable. Remembering of course we gave up a first round pick for meriweather in 2007 so he should be performing by now. Despite being a 3 year pro he is the most experienced man in our secondary.

As for Moss, that era is over. Ofc he was legendary with us but he is not the same player anymore. Sure that amazing one handed grab against new york blah blah and i respect his natural talent. But an ageing drama queen will not help the patriots win. I would like to have him back for the sentiment but not to win games.

I like Danny Woodhead cuz he has a chip on his shoulder and plays with swagger :smile: But Brady is still the man for me. Perhaps his best season to date.

As for woodhead, branch, gronkowski, hernandez, law firm (BJGE). They aren't that good. I don't mean to talk down of them because they have done a great job, but it's how Brady and Belichick have utilised them that makes them great. Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis is close to a first down back but for the rest of them they aren't every down guys (yet, we will see how they develop). I love what they are doing for us which I think makes exciting football but they are a product of their environment somewhat (although everyone is to some extent).

Agreed on the teams having ups and downs. I would say the only similarity between say Man Utd and a NFL team is that they are similar to the Cowboys. Like Man Utd, you either love the Cowboys, or you can't help but laugh when they crash and burn. The Pats, have to a degree, also taken on that mantle of love or loathe in recent years. I would say a lot of that is down to Belichick, who is far from Mr. Popularity.
Collinsworth was amazing doing the commentary for that part. NBC really are the best for NFL...

For actual coverage, NBC is probably the best and FOX is the worst, but I would happily watch everything on CBS just to hear their theme music. Simply stunning music.
Reply 113
Original post by S129439
I was reading on NFL.com earlier and saw that in pressure situations Vick is horrible! And Drew Brees. In the superbowl, defenses tend to bring the heat. When sacked 3 or more times in a game Brady wins 82% of games whereas Vick only wins 44% ( Drew Brees only wins 26% OMG!).

Those stats are interesting, however, the good thing with Vick is that actually sacking him proves difficult, in a number of the games I have seen recently and some of the highlight reels the blitz will get through but he just seems to get out of it, like he is playing covered in olive oil or something. And Vick on his feet is, I would say, as good as any QB in the league, his mobility is excellent and provides a great second option should our runners be tightly covered.
Original post by TheMagicRat
For actual coverage, NBC is probably the best and FOX is the worst, but I would happily watch everything on CBS just to hear their theme music. Simply stunning music.

CBS is the worst for me, but that's probably because I see a lot of them being a Pats fan. the graphics seem to be very clunky and for some reason, has a lot of stupid sound effects for no reason.

but what do you guys think of RedZone?
Original post by RNBen
Those stats are interesting, however, the good thing with Vick is that actually sacking him proves difficult, in a number of the games I have seen recently and some of the highlight reels the blitz will get through but he just seems to get out of it, like he is playing covered in olive oil or something. And Vick on his feet is, I would say, as good as any QB in the league, his mobility is excellent and provides a great second option should our runners be tightly covered.

I would say he is the best on his feet by a distance. He really is as good as some running backs.
Anyone up and ready to watch Steelers dominate the Panthers?
Original post by RNBen

Vick is a great scrambling QB. i've seen him roll out of blitz situations like no mans business, and he's great throwing out of the pocket.
Just as a note;

PATRIOTS BEAT THE BILLS! AFC EAST CHAMPIONS. HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. SUPERBOWL XV HERE WE COME!

As a Lions fan I thought I'd just say this:

Mo ****ing De Andry Levy Dude.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

5 wins!

Latest