The Student Room Group

My realistic chances of getting in?

Ok.

I've recently finished my A2's and got BCC, and so decided to re-take one exam and retake an evening class in another subject, with the likelihood I'll get ABB.

I want to apply to Sussex to study Media Practice, however they ask for between ABB-BBB.

Will I be better off applying with my AS grades of ABB and note that my A2 grades are pending?

Also how far will first-hand work experience with a magazine go when applying to University courses?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You will get rejected. FYL.
"Media Practice" - is there any point going to university?
Reply 3
Original post by Arcanine
You will get rejected. FYL.

Incredibly helpful.

Original post by Mr Inquisitive

Setting aside the enjoyment of the social experience, I believe University would demonstrate to an employer dedication over a three to four year period.

Meanwhile gaining knowledge on a subject, admittedly overly saturated with applicants, of which I aim to form my career around. There's no questioning that it wouldn't and would ultimately open more opportunities to me.
Reply 4
Sorry the previous two people were useless, and mate dont brag your achievements, theres always someone better than you.

I think you best bet is to call the Uni and ask them. They will be the best people to advie you.
Reply 5
Original post by midnightL
Sorry the previous two people were useless, and mate dont brag your achievements, theres always someone better than you.

I think you best bet is to call the Uni and ask them. They will be the best people to advie you.

Thanks, your advice is much appreciated.

Do you have any experience of people being in the same position as me?
Go for it, do what you want.
It is worth trying!
Reply 7
Well, I'm training to be a lawyer lol (doing my degree anyways) I got afew offers at A-level but didnt get my AAA so I went through clearing.

My experience comes from calling law firms and asking them about my academics. Much like your position Id ask and explain my situation, they will always be the best ones to ask advice from as they're are the ones assessing your application.
Reply 8
Original post by LewisScrafton
Ok.

I've recently finished my A2's and got BCC, and so decided to re-take one exam and retake an evening class in another subject, with the likelihood I'll get ABB.

I want to apply to Sussex to study Media Practice, however they ask for between ABB-BBB.

Will I be better off applying with my AS grades of ABB and note that my A2 grades are pending?

Also how far will first-hand work experience with a magazine go when applying to University courses?

Thanks in advance.

Well depends what you want to do.
A degree doesn't necessarily mean better job prospects. Sometimes 3 years of experience at a placement where you want to branch into will prove more useful.
Original post by kevin6767
Which uni's did you apply to? I have applied for the same course

University of Manchester,- AAB conditional
University of Liverpool, - ABB conditional
University of Lancaster,- ABB conditional
University of York,- nothing yet
Chester University, BBC conditional

You?
Reply 10
Ok.

Thanks in advance.

Well I just did my A2s and I flopped at AS which meant that I have come out with BBC. I am retaking some AS and have just recieved an offer from Sussex for AAB. You have to mention all of your exam results, but just re-add he subjects you are retaking and put pending!

Original post by Mr Inquisitive

Pipe down, for someone who insists on showing all his academic achievements in his sig on an anonymous forum, your quote only furthers the suspicion that you are an award winning bell.
Original post by adam_zed

Pipe down, for someone who insists on showing all his academic achievements in his sig on an anonymous forum, your quote only furthers the suspicion that you are an award winning bell.

Agreed.
Reply 12
Original post by adam_zed
Well I just did my A2s and I flopped at AS which meant that I have come out with BBC. I am retaking some AS and have just recieved an offer from Sussex for AAB. You have to mention all of your exam results, but just re-add he subjects you are retaking and put pending!

Glad to hear from someone with experience to back their claims up with, thank you.

Doesn't seem to be allowing me to add the same subject again, but with pending. Would it be worth putting all my grades as pending and digging out all my unit grades from the last two years?

Good luck with your retakes, I for one am ensuring I get what is needed this time around.

Also agreed.
Reply 13
Glad to hear from someone with experience to back their claims up with, thank you.

Doesn't seem to be allowing me to add the same subject again, but with pending. Would it be worth putting all my grades as pending and digging out all my unit grades from the last two years?

Good luck with your retakes, I for one am ensuring I get what is needed this time around.

Also agreed.

No problem. Too many people chat waffles without actually knowing about the topic!

it should do, though you will have to enter a new educational institute. Now if you are retaking them at the same school/college you were before, you just have to insert that college again and then add the subject!

I did what you are planning to and it didnt let me enter predicted grades and didnt come up as complete. Ucas told me to do it the way I said and then you can enter your own predicted grades!
who's reading this at the same time as me and negged that guy? it went from 2 to 4.
Cambridge, York, Sheffield, LSE and Birmingham. Unconditional from B'ham and unsuccessful from Cambridge. Not heard from the rest. Really want to go to York though :frown:

I've not heard from them either D:
Nightlife, is supposed to be, poor at York D:
I don't really care about the night life tbh :s-smilie: I am more interested in the degree :P

Each to their own, I guess so.
But you'll be there for three years, i'd apparently just a bunch of pubs full of old men, a few campus based places which are small and out dated and a way from the main nightlife.
When I heard, I almost died.
Original post by midnightL
OOOO someone rated my post :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: that was like my third post ever haha

:rofl: I love this forum sometimes.
Have you ever seen the Channel 4 comedy 'Free Agents'? They constantly take the piss of the receptionist with low pay, because she did a Media degree. It's a pretty accurate representation of the Media graduate.
Reply 19
honestly, why do people bother to come onto this board that have no need to be, offer no advice and just slate our degrees of choice.. anyway.

i've heard Sussex is pretty competitive but if you've been predicted their entry requirements, you should at least get an interview then it depends on your portfolio (i'm figuring they ask for one for media practice) and the like. your experience should help you as it shows you're committed etc but if you don't get your conditional offer, i highly doubt they will take you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending