The Student Room Group

Optometry work experience

Hi,

I am a second year optometry student, I've been trying to get work experience at high street opticians but every time I go in I get a straight no.

Can someone offer me some advice.

Much appreciated.
Original post by arif-uk
Hi,

I am a second year optometry student, I've been trying to get work experience at high street opticians but every time I go in I get a straight no.

Can someone offer me some advice.

Much appreciated.

What sort of opticians are you going in to - independents or chains?
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
What sort of opticians are you going in to - independents or chains?

Preferable chains but I just want some experience as I'll be applying to my pre reg year very soon.
Original post by arif-uk
Preferable chains but I just want some experience as I'll be applying to my pre reg year very soon.

You might have more luck with independents, because they'll have more flexibility over work experience offering. That said, a lot of it comes down to just luck of the draw - at the time I sent a letter to Specsavers, they happened to need people over the summer. :dontknow:

Are you trying at uni or at home?
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice, I think I will just keep trying and hope that something will crop up. I have tried both =/
Hmm, would you be willing to take up a part-time job? Because I work at Boots Opticians part-time and I don't even have an interest in Optometry or anything. Have a look on the Boots Jobs website if you're interested, if they have vacancies they'll be on there.
Reply 6
Try www.thehomeoptician.com it is run by a friend of mine who does home optometry, he generally doesnt mind students coming on home visits with him its quite a good way to get experience especially in care homes and with the elderly there tends to be more pathology and you'll learn alot through observing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending