The Student Room Group

So frustrated: Can't find a job anywhere. Don't want to waste gap year :s

I'm on a gap year and have been looking for jobs since August and just can't find any. I still got enough time and want to make some money before starting uni, but seriously don't know how to.

I have tried applying to almost everywhere I could apply online:

* McDonalds
* KF
* PC World / Currys
* M&S
* Primark
* H&M
* Sainsburys
* Lidl
* Morrison
* ASDA
* Waitrose
* Iceland
* Debenham
* Boots
* Superdrug

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

My grades at A Level were Maths (B), Physics (B), German (A), ICT (A)

So, what else can I try?

Or is there any other reliable non-spam way to make money online, which I doubt.

Scroll to see replies

Online- I doubt it.
But hat I strongly recommend you do during this time, just to fill some time so it doesnt all go to waste is some voluntary work. You could try out Charity shop which are very easy to get a vacancy at.

If you're a little more desperate (which I think you are) how about you phone up retailers such as the ones you mentioned above and tell them you want to do work experience/voluntary work, to just basically gain retail experience.

Beg them nicely and hopefully one should say yes. Once youre doing voluntary work for a retailer, which you can do just one day a week (And you can do different retailers e.g 3 different ones on 3 days of the week) then you'll be first to know when there are vacancies within that store which you can take up!

Anyway, hope that helps. Thats what I'd seriously do...It fills up your time and would be absolutely great for your Personal statement/UCAS for next year!
do some volunteering while still looking for a job...it could gain u experience to get the next job...that's what happened with me :smile:
Your question indicates where you are going wrong - you aren't filling in the application forms competitively. You list companies you haven't been successful applying to and then say My grades at A level were.......... An employer doesn't care what your grades at A level were, they care whether you have the skills to do the job - nothing else. So in your applications of CV you need to focus on giving evidence that you have the specific skills required for that specific job.

Getting a job is competitive, you against every one else that applies. If you don't put enough effort into getting an application right, someone else will beat you to itnerview and then the job. So it is not abou thte number of jobs you apply for, it is about the quality of your application that makes you competitive.
Thanks for everyone for your replies. Some very helpful advice in it.

Original post by threeportdrift
Your question indicates where you are going wrong - you aren't filling in the application forms competitively. You list companies you haven't been successful applying to and then say My grades at A level were.......... An employer doesn't care what your grades at A level were, they care whether you have the skills to do the job - nothing else. So in your applications of CV you need to focus on giving evidence that you have the specific skills required for that specific job.

Getting a job is competitive, you against every one else that applies. If you don't put enough effort into getting an application right, someone else will beat you to itnerview and then the job. So it is not abou thte number of jobs you apply for, it is about the quality of your application that makes you competitive.

I get your idea, but the thing is whenever I ask them for voluntary work experience, the reply I get is: "We are not a charity. What d'you mean by 'voluntary work experience'?" It has happened to quite a few companies I have contacted by phone and they say they don't offer 'voluntary' work experience. And, as I mentioned, I don't mind working for a charity shop or something, but I would like to rather invest time in something where I could end up with some money afterwards.

Original post by MizzCupcakes
do some volunteering while still looking for a job...it could gain u experience to get the next job...that's what happened with me :smile:

Could you give me more information on what exactly you did volunteering for and where you got the job?

Original post by ithoughtofthis
Online- I doubt it.
But hat I strongly recommend you do during this time, just to fill some time so it doesnt all go to waste is some voluntary work. You could try out Charity shop which are very easy to get a vacancy at.

If you're a little more desperate (which I think you are) how about you phone up retailers such as the ones you mentioned above and tell them you want to do work experience/voluntary work, to just basically gain retail experience.

Beg them nicely and hopefully one should say yes. Once youre doing voluntary work for a retailer, which you can do just one day a week (And you can do different retailers e.g 3 different ones on 3 days of the week) then you'll be first to know when there are vacancies within that store which you can take up!

Anyway, hope that helps. Thats what I'd seriously do...It fills up your time and would be absolutely great for your Personal statement/UCAS for next year!

I know, it doesn't depend on my A Level grades alone, but I mentioned them, because I am just frustrated and don't understand what the reason for rejections after rejections was for me. Now that you are mentioning skills, etc. I get a better understanding of what is required.
Original post by llpokermuffinll

I get your idea, but the thing is whenever I ask them for voluntary work experience, the reply I get is: "We are not a charity. What d'you mean by 'voluntary work experience'?" It has happened to quite a few companies I have contacted by phone and they say they don't offer 'voluntary' work experience. And, as I mentioned, I don't mind working for a charity shop or something, but I would like to rather invest time in something where I could end up with some money afterwards.

It's rare to be able to get voluntary experience in commercial businesses, there are all sorts of insurance, union, training etc reasons why it can't ahppen. If you don't have transferable skills from sports, societies, clubs, DofE cadets etc then you need to volunteer at an organisation that is run by/for/with volunteers eg a Charity Shop etc. Look up a website called do-it (google!).Volunteering can lead to paid work within that organisation, or give relevant skills to strengthen your applications in the commercial sector.
well since I live in Sweden I dunno how the specific companies would help u but basically I started doing some tutoring in my old secondary school in maths and applied for jobs within private tutoring, and explained in my ps about how I've learned from the experience and I got the job three days later!

so I think this can be applied to other things aswell dont worry! it is especially difficult now with the recession and all..
Thanks for everyone for your replies. Some very helpful advice in it.

Oh thats a shame!
Well, I still think you should do charity work then to fill up your time, untill you get an actual paying job. Btw, a charity shop I worked for a while back payed my transport cost and lunch (As long a s I brought the receipts), and I got lots of cool stuff from the shop for free :rolleyes: Good times.
Have you tried your local job centre? Id strongly recommend them too...
Reply 8
I'm on a gap year and have been looking for jobs since August and just can't find any. I still got enough time and want to make some money before starting uni, but seriously don't know how to.

* McDonalds
* KF
* PC World / Currys
* M&S
* Primark
* H&M
* Sainsburys
* Lidl
* Morrison
* ASDA
* Waitrose
* Iceland
* Debenham
* Boots
* Superdrug

So, what else can I try?

Or is there any other reliable non-spam way to make money online, which I doubt.

Do you live in/near Birmingham/Manchester/London?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9

* McDonalds
* KF
* PC World / Currys
* M&S
* Primark
* H&M
* Sainsburys
* Lidl
* Morrison
* ASDA
* Waitrose
* Iceland
* Debenham
* Boots
* Superdrug

So, what else can I try?

Hi I sent you a private message
Reply 10
Recruitment agencies.

Join as many as you can, you'll get things, you might have to travel quite far though.
Reply 11
Volunteer or get work experience. That's probably what I'll be doing in the new year.
Reply 12
Forget about online applications...go in with a CV and ask for a job :yep: Or find friends that can put in a good word for you
Reply 13
Apply online, apply by letters/emails/face-to-face.
I was looking for a job since early summer.
I was thankful when I finally find one.
It's not the best job in the world but it's better than nothing so just keep trying :]
I know people who did work experience in M&S, try there. I got a job in River Island and got a fair few interviews e.g. Debenhams, M&S, Oceana, B&Q, probably because I have 18 months charity shop experience. It's better to be in a charity shop than just sitting at home.
Get a job doing the census:

Census Jobs
Original post by Wanischa
Apply online, apply by letters/emails/face-to-face.
I was looking for a job since early summer.
I was thankful when I finally find one.
It's not the best job in the world but it's better than nothing so just keep trying :]

Where did you find a job? And by what method did you get it? I.e. by online / phone / letter / email application?

Thanks.
Original post by adam_zed
Do you live in/near Birmingham/Manchester/London?

Yes, I live IN London.
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Oh thats a shame!
Well, I still think you should do charity work then to fill up your time, untill you get an actual paying job. Btw, a charity shop I worked for a while back payed my transport cost and lunch (As long a s I brought the receipts), and I got lots of cool stuff from the shop for free :rolleyes: Good times.
Have you tried your local job centre? Id strongly recommend them too...

No, I haven't tried my job centre. Actually I don't even know where my local job centre is. Is there any point really trying it out there?
Reply 19
Yes, I live IN London.

have you ever considered begging then? jokes, pm me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending