The Student Room Group

Did university live up to your expectations?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewroll
its funny you should say that, because currently i am going through a problem related to that. Choose the prestigious uni, or the one i will probably enjoy more. Its a tricky decision

Care to elaborate the whole story...? :holmes:
Reply 21
No. I can't wait to leave.
Reply 22
Uni where those who go to it are smart, charismatic and just highly interesting + at USA = hell yeah! It's awesome.
Original post by TheSownRose
Care to elaborate the whole story...? :holmes:

Durham vs Sussex- got offers from both, i like the look of both courses however i dont think i will enjoy being at durham (social aspect) whereas i feel like i will be happier at sussex. Also apparently durham is a boring town/city whereas sussex is exciting. Everyone will expect me to choose durham (becuase of prestige) but im not sure.
Reply 24
Original post by Lewroll
its funny you should say that, because currently i am going through a problem related to that. Choose the prestigious uni, or the one i will probably enjoy more. Its a tricky decision

The one you'll enjoy more, obviously.
Reply 25
Nope. Sigh, wish i was back at college :frown:
Original post by Cicerao
The one you'll enjoy more, obviously.

Really? But isnt it all about the degree you get. I like the look of both courses, but one uni looks a lot more boring than the other. And at the end of the day, you go to university for the degree, right?
I do fear I mention it too much... :s-smilie: I swear, I never even talk about it outside of TSR - obviously my old school friends know what happened, but no one at ARU knows how I ended up there.

It's just relevant for a few key issues on TSR - prestige isn't everything, you can change your mind, Clearing isn't just a place for rub outs...

Haha, I also feel like I know the whole backstory behind you ending up at ARU. What advice would you give to somebody that wants to study something but is really good at a completely different subject and may potentially want to study it?
Reply 28
Original post by Lewroll
Really? But isnt it all about the degree you get. I like the look of both courses, but one uni looks a lot more boring than the other. And at the end of the day, you go to university for the degree, right?

Which universities are you comparing?
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Haha, I also feel like I know the whole backstory behind you ending up at ARU. What advice would you give to somebody that wants to study something but is really good at a completely different subject and may potentially want to study it?

So they are due to study Course X, but really like Subject Y in A-levels or something similar, and are considering switching to study Y at uni?

I'd say it depends what courses they are, and what the person in question wants to do later on in life.
Reply 30
Original post by air-ninety-one
what about your QRO's? their probably the most important english exams. if you fail those then your out

I'd have thought even more important with regards to studying English at university would be to know the difference between their and they're.
So they are due to study Course X, but really like Subject Y in A-levels or something similar, and are considering switching to study Y at uni?

I'd say it depends what courses they are, and what the person in question wants to do later on in life.

Precisely like that. Law and Maths. Don't know what the hell I want to do in future!
Reply 32
Undergrad was a bit underwhelming for me but postgrad is going a bit better so far.
Original post by Gemma :)!
Well I didn't think so at the time, but looking back at first year now, it was absolutely amazing! But sometimes you don't appreciate things until you can look back at them.

hi there, I Was just looking at your blog, and wanted to see where you mentioned your study tips, but i couldn't find it.

Sorry to be a nuisance, would you happen to know under what month its written ?

P.s your blog is amazing :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Lewroll

One of my friends has an offer from Durham for Business and she's firming Manchester (which is similar to Sussex league-table wise I believe).

Durham has a certain stigma attached to it, you know, pompous condescending Oxbridge wannabees, but I have absolutely no idea if this is true :dontknow: (I'd be happy for any Durhamers to prove me wrong)...

It's up to personal choice, I'd go Sussex but that's just me. Remember that you're going to spend 3 years of your life there.
Original post by Liam_G
One of my friends has an offer from Durham for Business and she's firming Manchester (which is similar to Sussex league-table wise I believe).

Durham has a certain stigma attached to it, you know, pompous condescending Oxbridge wannabees, but I have absolutely no idea if this is true :dontknow: (I'd be happy for any Durhamers to prove me wrong)...

It's up to personal choice, I'd go Sussex but that's just me. Remember that you're going to spend 3 years of your life there.

Yeah i heard the same thing about durhames. I will take a look at durham first before i make any final decisions, but i probably will firm sussex. Thanks :biggrin:
I was expecting SO MUCH. All nighters several times a week, pizza at 3am, drunk people everywhere, going out way too much, eating junk, loud music, meeting my friends in the first day, becoming close to people after the first week...and then with such high expectations came the niggling worry that this could only end in anti climax and disappointment.

However, after my first semester, I can safely say that my worry was unfounded. It's EXACTLY what I expected, and millions more than I could have ever dreamed to hope for.

Sounds hideously cheesy, but I genuinely have had the best 3 months of my life. Not one aspect of it has been a disappointment, and I am SO excited to go back in January.

Really wish everyone could have the experience I've had.
Reply 37
Uni has been amazing. I'd really recommend going to a uni that has a campus that is in a city. You can get the best of both worlds then.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
hi there, I Was just looking at your blog, and wanted to see where you mentioned your study tips, but i couldn't find it.

Sorry to be a nuisance, would you happen to know under what month its written ?

P.s your blog is amazing :smile:

I'd say October.. although there aren't as many study tips as I'd planned; it kind of turned into a bit of a life rant!
Reply 39
Original post by Chemist548
You're not your

They're not their

Ironic about you giving advice on English exams... :biggrin:

qft :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending