The Student Room Group

if you are pakistani/north indian which caste are u and do you think its important

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by beechams
I can't believe British born Pakistanis still believe in the caste system. I'm Pakistani and think it's a load of bull5****.

Same. Im a Muslim I dont really believe on what level your at.
I thought they meant even less in Pakistan than they did in India, considering it's came from Hindu traditions? If someone is jatt, choudhry, Raja, Masalli(those are the only ones I know of) it really does not bother me whatsoever. The irony of course is that a lot of Pakistani's will have Choudhry by their name when they're really not.

I was in Pakistan and some random guy asked me what caste I was. I didn't understood what he meant, as I'd never heard of the word caste in punjabi, nor do I remember it. He then explained what they were, and then I clicked he was talking about castes. I said "oh, Im jatt then I think" He said with a smug smile that he's a Raja. Why does it even matter?

I do like the fact that some kids thought I was cursed or something though. Quite funny
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by soldier-4-life
hi just noticed theres a large asian community and i realised that there are no stastics on castes in britain sorry i missed out on an important option neither of the above

none, they are all equally retarded..... We don't need this kind of tribalism in britain, especially not when it leads to further segregation, honuor killings etc..
Reply 23
Original post by de_monies
I thought they meant even less in Pakistan than they did in India, considering it's came from Hindu traditions? If someone is jatt, choudhry, Raja, Masalli(those are the only ones I know of) it really does not bother me whatsoever. The irony of course is that a lot of Pakistani's will have Choudhry by their name when they're really not.

I was in Pakistan and some random guy asked me what caste I was. I didn't understood what he meant, as I'd never heard of the word caste in punjabi, nor do I remember it. He then explained what they were, and then I clicked he was talking about castes. I said "oh, Im jatt then I think" He said with a smug smile that he's a Raja. Why does it even matter?

I do like the fact that some kids thought I was cursed or something though. Quite funny

because he has de monies and your lot are slum dwellers! Or something like that, it's usually the case in these tribal matters.
Bunty, if you've read up there aren't too many people who really care about the caste system-especially Pakistani's when the population is almost entirely Muslim(well at least British Pakistani's don't tend to associate with the caste system any way)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bunty64
because he has de monies and your lot are slum dwellers! Or something like that, it's usually the case in these tribal matters.

To be fair, it could have been because both my eyes turned really red due to hayfever :biggrin:
Reply 26
Singh
Original post by soldier-4-life
hi just noticed theres a large asian community and i realised that there are no stastics on castes in britain sorry i missed out on an important option neither of the above

why segregate even more?
Reply 28
Original post by xayshx
why do asians love askin about caste? who carrreeees. i dunno wah caste i am and couldnt care less tbh. means natiiiin blaad!

ye ye u tell em fam :cool:
Reply 29
I'm a mixture of Indian, Pakistani and Libyan, catse is Arain but erm thats not up there and no couldn't care less about caste.
Reply 30
Original post by awais590

yu gets me :wink:
Original post by xayshx

innit :wink:
Reply 32
Original post by awais590

Reply 33
Bunty, if you've read up there aren't too many people who really care about the caste system-especially Pakistani's when the population is almost entirely Muslim(well at least British Pakistani's don't tend to associate with the caste system any way)

You're mistaken dude.... although the islamic faith doesn't promote tribalism and its negative aspects, the pakistani muslims still value these traditions (even in britain- the vast majority of british pakistanis originae from one place in pakistan; not sure of the name, perhaps you know)

the liberal, western modernists of pakistani heritage may not, but a lot of brit pakistanis still have a tribal mentality...
Reply 34
innit :wink:

:cool:
Reply 35
All the options in this survey are tribes and regional affiliations, not castes. Here are the caste groups:

Brahmin (not represented in the list)
Ksatriya (Rajputs would come under here)
Vaisya (not represented in the list)
Sudra (Jatts would come under here)
Bunty fair enough, but the people here don't seem to care really about caste
Reply 37
people who say they don't care say it because they are at the bottom for example ask someone what their A level grades are if they got As they won't stop going on and on about them but if they got Es they won't care so i think it is safe too assume everyone who says they don't care are in the bottom caste LOL i figured you out
Reply 38
Original post by Jacktri

Original post by Jacktri
people who say they don't care say it because they are at the bottom for example ask someone what their A level grades are if they got As they won't stop going on and on about them but if they got Es they won't care so i think it is safe too assume everyone who says they don't care are in the bottom caste LOL i figured you out

LOOL that could be right, except i don't even know how the ranking system works, so, no.
Not really. Jatt is relatively high up. I know a real Choudhry and he doesn't give a damn either(Choudhry being one of the highest castes available)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending