The Student Room Group

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music?

Scroll to see replies

I don't like whining and I don't like songs about feelings.

AC/DC kick so much ass that it is unreal. All others are not worthy.
Reply 41
Probably more than I should. It's not like if I meet somebody who has complete different music taste to me, I automatically see them as inferior or not worth my time but I do find I generally click better with people who I share some common musical ground with, even before I've found out what sort of stuff they are into as despite being massively into music, I rarely discuss bands or songs with other people because it often leads to either blank stares in return or them totally misinterpreting the music I like e.g. as soon as I mention emo or screamo, Joe Bloggs assumes you're a massive MCR or Underoath fan. I've definitely found music is often an indicator of personality but I still take people as I find them. The majority of my close friends have no interest in most of the music I listen to but they are close friends all the same.
Reply 42
A lot!

Imagine the guys from High Fidelity, then times by ten :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by Misogynist
A lot. Mainly because it's your personality that dictates what kind of music you're drawn to, in my opinion. You can make a pretty good guess of what people are like by what kind of music they listen to.

Out of interest, what would you think about someone who likes all types of music from rock to reggae to dance to classic rock from metal to classical to pop to the didgeridoo depending on his mood?:rolleyes:
Reply 44
It's pretty unimportant with regards to being friends with people, but if it's a potential boyfriend then he has to have similar tastes to me... Going to gigs/festivals with a guy is awesome :smile:
Original post by tez.
screamo stuff being bring me the horizon/emmure/brokencyde type thing or just extreme metal in general?

cause the latter has plenty of songcraft and subtlety that the former doesn't

Never heard of these, so not sure. When you can't hear the lyrics and it just sounds as though someone is dying and taking their guitar and drums down with them.

There used to be this guy that would always play the stuff at maximum volume at quite a few parties I've been to - gave me a headache every single damn time.
Judge someone's personality based on music tastes?

I really hope not..
I don't tend to judge people's intelligence by their music taste (except for Miley Cirus listeners - obviously) but it does, in my experience, say A LOT about people's character.
Original post by MizzCupcakes
hmm...I listen to indie but dont do any of those things...

Well it's the case for people my aged and from Manchester I guess :dontknow:
Original post by Inversion
It's just another facet of how broad someone's knowledge of culture is though. In my experience people who like dreadful films (Adam Sandler comedies, Hollywood box office fodder..) also seem to only bother with chart music.

I agree totally that music elitism is stupid, and I wouldn't dislike someone solely based on their music taste. However, I often find that people who have limited taste in music also don't know much about books, films, TV etc.. They just consume mainstream, easily digestible stuff and subsequently they are just not very interesting.

Not necessarily though. Don't get me wrong I have some pretty obscure stuff in my music collection (think industrial and goth/darkwave/death rock stuff), but music elitism irks me. For example, there are some goths out there who look down on other goths who listen to bands like the Cruxshadows, mainly because they're popular and have quite cheesy lyrics. One gets sick of such bull****. They're a perfectly decent band, in the end I stopped giving a **** about what other people thought of the music I listen to (or indeed the clothes I wear :teehee: )

There are people who are amusical but have extensive knowledge of literature, philosophy etc. There are also people who are obsessed with music and don't know how to talk about anything else and are incredibly boring (people who will talk to you for 2 hours straight about their latest prog rock experimentations and don't let you get a word in edgewise). It's just not a good criterion to judge someone on.

On another note: why do you care if someone only listens to pop? Do you only socially interact with people who are sufficiently "cultured"? Most people aren't interested in music, books, film or good TV. It doesn't mean you can't have a good time with them. If you can't enjoy life's simpler pleasures then you won't be able to interact with the majority of the population. It's important as a social skill.
Reply 50
I find it sad that people take the piss or not like someone as much or whatever because of what music they listen to. I just listen to what I like and **** everyone else. If someone thinks that my music is ****, chances are I think the same about theirs. Meh thats all :yes:
Reply 51
Original post by medbh4805
Not necessarily though. Don't get me wrong I have some pretty obscure stuff in my music collection (think industrial and goth/darkwave/death rock stuff), but music elitism irks me. For example, there are some goths out there who look down on other goths who listen to bands like the Cruxshadows, mainly because they're popular and have quite cheesy lyrics. One gets sick of such bull****. They're a perfectly decent band, in the end I stopped giving a **** about what other people thought of the music I listen to (or indeed the clothes I wear :teehee: )

There are people who are amusical but have extensive knowledge of literature, philosophy etc. There are also people who are obsessed with music and don't know how to talk about anything else and are incredibly boring (people who will talk to you for 2 hours straight about their latest prog rock experimentations and don't let you get a word in edgewise). It's just not a good criterion to judge someone on.

On another note: why do you care if someone only listens to pop? Do you only socially interact with people who are sufficiently "cultured"? Most people aren't interested in music, books, film or good TV. It doesn't mean you can't have a good time with them. If you can't enjoy life's simpler pleasures then you won't be able to interact with the majority of the population. It's important as a social skill.

A few of my best mates only really listen to chart stuff, I'm not prejudiced against any genres and I enjoy clubbing and drinking as much as anyone else. I still listen to stuff like Lady Gaga etc. and don't view it as a "guilty pleasure"; I think that's a stupid position to take. I would defend liking chart music against snobs along with any other music that I like.

I don't really agree with the bolded point though, I'd say you covered most of mainstream entertainment there. Perhaps music is a bad example when contrasted with books and film, I don't think music has as much of an intrinsic intellectual component as those media.

Naturally I to enjoy people's company more if they share common interests with me; music, film and books are among my main interests.
Only when people listen to a single genre and completely disregard any other genres. Although most of the time people grow out of that 'phase' by the time they are 18.
Reply 53
To suggest that there is no link between the type of music people like and their intelligence and personality is deeply flawed. Logically you would expect a correlation between more complex and innovative musical forms and intelligence, and in practice you genuinely see one.

It is not mere coincidence that if you go to a place full of deeply intelligent people, for example a maths and physics PhD common room at a good university and asked "what music do you guys listen to?", 90% of people will answer "Heavy Metal".

A lot of people who listen to metal are often extremely knowledgeable about other complex genres like Jazz and Classical. You couldn't say the same thing of X-factor fans, could you?
Reply 54
Whilst it would initially cause me to mercilessly judge them, it's not really that important at the end of the day.

Original post by Drunk Punx
Too bloody right :five:

Original post by Jono404
Amen, when I hear someone in their 20's say they listen to New Found Glory and Yellowcard etc I actually find it hard to believe.

I also hate the 'I listen to anything!' people who basically mean they listen to the most commercial overplayed group in every genre, ie Kings of Leon, David Guetta and Pendulum.

Oh ****, I see I have many enemies on this thread D:
What's so bad about pop-punk? :emo:
Reply 55
Original post by Drunk Punx
If you think rock fans are obnoxious, then I sincerely hope you never happen across the people in black metal who consider themselves "kvlt", or the thrashers who populate the Metal-Archive forums.
It's usually a hilarious clash between the two with many a ban on both sides :teehee:

Absolutely agree with you on this one Drunk Punx; I know this is a generalisation but most metalheads are pretty obnoxious, though a lot of them seem like good people. I like Metal and its subgenres, however I'm musically diverse :smile:. You seem like a metalhead, a little to nice...:sexface:.
Reply 56
Not much; I would only really judge someone on those grounds if they are the sort of person who lets their pop music preference dominate their personality.

Original post by py0alb
To suggest that there is no link between the type of music people like and their intelligence and personality is deeply flawed. Logically you would expect a correlation between more complex and innovative musical forms and intelligence, and in practice you genuinely see one.

It is not mere coincidence that if you go to a place full of deeply intelligent people, for example a maths and physics PhD common room at a good university and asked "what music do you guys listen to?", 90% of people will answer "Heavy Metal".

A lot of people who listen to metal are often extremely knowledgeable about other complex genres like Jazz and Classical. You couldn't say the same thing of X-factor fans, could you?

Whilst I agree with the first paragraph to an extent, I don't think that Heavy Metal is in general a particularly complex musical art form. Maybe it is more of a technical challenge to play in comparison with a lot of other pop and rock music but I don't see it generally being much deeper (aside from a few isolated examples e.g. Meshuggah).

In the common room in my dept. (maths) I doubt even 30% of people enjoy heavy metal - there are a few into symphonic music and other 'classical' forms but I think the majority of people seem to have a casual interest in the general rock and pop music that is about. I was chatting to a maths professor the other week who is actually quite into rap and hip hop funnily enough and he is also into all sorts of music (folk, jazz, symphonic etc.)

Also, many people only have a passing interest in music (and indeed many other art forms) and don't really look for much depth or profundity.
Reply 57
Original post by Wahaaaay
When finding out that someone has certain musical tastes, do you ever assume their general level of intelligence, or other aspects of their personality? Same applies to class etc. Is it something that you feel is an important factor in terms of getting on with someone? Examples welcome.

I would have when I was younger, but now I realise it barely matters.

EDIT: Except for when people ONLY listen to metal.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't judge people based on their taste in music.
Reply 59
Original post by Mm_Minty

Oh ****, I see I have many enemies on this thread D:
What's so bad about pop-punk? :emo:

Haha nothing I guess if it's what you like, was just messing around really, I used to listen to it when I was younger but moved onto other things :smile:

Are Weezer considered pop punk? I still listen to Blue Album ALL the time.

Quick Reply

Latest