The Student Room Group

Help :( Problem with driving instructor .

So I've been learning with her since May.. She's taken a good 800 quid of my money in lessons and I've been very regular with lessons and not once cancelled on her. Normally we get along well. A month ago I failed my test, and was pretty gutted. Today was my first 2 hour lesson since the test, and my next test is January 5th. I was nearly crying today, she just lost it with me. Full on lost it. Pulled me over on a dual carriageway and started having a go at me saying I'm not driving to the standard she saw me drive on the test, but I think the test is completely different.. she talks to me all the time about her other pupils etc, and then she complains I don't concentrate... she was getting so frustrated with me, we came to this mini roundabout that was really busy at night in a rough area, and when I approached it there was already something going on with people beeping at each other. When I got to the front, I was just overcome with cars not even going round the roundabout just going over it and not indicating, and she just lost it like WHY ARE YOU JUST STARING STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR GODS SAKE, YOU NEED TO BE LOOKING TO THE RIGHT, JUST GO, JUST MOVE, PEOPLE ARE BEEPING AT YOU! I was so shocked, I just drove in silence. And then 5 minutes later she just started acting normally again talking about random crap with the TV. At the end of the lesson she also booked me in for 6 more hours for my test, which is going to cost me a bomb... I just got in and cried I was so shocked. I'm suffering with panic attacks as it is and feel afraid to get in her car again. I don't know what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insignificant
WHY ARE YOU JUST STARING STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR GODS SAKE, YOU NEED TO BE LOOKING TO THE RIGHT, JUST GO, JUST MOVE, PEOPLE ARE BEEPING AT YOU! I was so shocked, I just drove in silence. And then 5 minutes later she just started acting normally again talking about random crap with the TV.

This has happened to me also, but I guess my driving instructor was just in a bad mood.

He ditched me as well! He rang up one morning and told me he has a new job and is no longer a driving instructor! :eek:
Reply 2
change your instructor asap! cancel all the lessons youve booked and tell her where to stuff it. wha a bitch!! hugs! :frown:
Lmaoooooooooooo
So I've been learning with her since May.. She's taken a good 800 quid of my money in lessons and I've been very regular with lessons and not once cancelled on her. Normally we get along well. A month ago I failed my test, and was pretty gutted. Today was my first 2 hour lesson since the test, and my next test is January 5th. I was nearly crying today, she just lost it with me. Full on lost it. Pulled me over on a dual carriageway and started having a go at me saying I'm not driving to the standard she saw me drive on the test, but I think the test is completely different.. she talks to me all the time about her other pupils etc, and then she complains I don't concentrate... she was getting so frustrated with me, we came to this mini roundabout that was really busy at night in a rough area, and when I approached it there was already something going on with people beeping at each other. When I got to the front, I was just overcome with cars not even going round the roundabout just going over it and not indicating, and she just lost it like WHY ARE YOU JUST STARING STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR GODS SAKE, YOU NEED TO BE LOOKING TO THE RIGHT, JUST GO, JUST MOVE, PEOPLE ARE BEEPING AT YOU! I was so shocked, I just drove in silence. And then 5 minutes later she just started acting normally again talking about random crap with the TV. At the end of the lesson she also booked me in for 6 more hours for my test, which is going to cost me a bomb... I just got in and cried I was so shocked. I'm suffering with panic attacks as it is and feel afraid to get in her car again. I don't know what to do :frown:

Don't worry dear. My driving instructor shouted at me alot so I just stopped taking lessons with her and practiced driving with my dad instead. Its not worth having lessons with her if she's making you that upset.
man up and say you don't want lessons wtf?
Reply 6
She sounds well out of order, but I sort of understand where she is getting at, I mean how come you didn't drive for a month after you failed your test? Sounds like you have taken a massive step backwards and it's going to take a bunch more lessons to get you back up to scratch again. If she has been fine with you before she was probably just having a bad day. She clearly wants you to succeed, which is at least better than some driving instructors who milk as much money as they can from you.
Reply 7
There is absolutely no need for you to put up with someone who has a short fuse, ring her up and cancel the lessons inform her you will be finding a new instructor instead.
inb4comment on women drivers.

But in all seriousness, is it possible for you to find a new driving instructor? Maybe have another lesson with her to see if it was just a bad day, and if she's like that again, just get someone else. I found it a lot easier to learn with someone calm teaching me. But as for pulling you over on a dual carriageway, that sounds pretty ****ing stupid of her.
Reply 9
Sounds like she is using the word 'concentrate' instead of 'commitment'

IMO, although she is sounding like she is being harsh she is really just annoyed at the fact your test is a few weeks away and it could snow and you didn't drive when it wasn't snowing.. you didn't drive for a month after your test and your going to be at the same standard as your last test this time unless you cram lessons which will make you even more upset as it will get tense..

On due hesitation is something you should be well over for your test..

My advice would be to go out and practice with a parent/friend/relative if you can and get those lessons in, if everyone can do it so can you and it is all practice. The more driving you do the better but you need to balance it so your not getting upset.
why is this in H and R?
I'd get a new teacher, not all of them are the same. At the end of the day you're paying them to teach you how to drive, and you won't if all they do is stress you out. And just tell them you don't want to pay for more lessons, especially if she signed you up without really asking. Good luck :smile:
Since you're so close to your test anyway, maybe you should ditch her and practice whatever you need to practice with a parent or adult. Then you can pass and you won't need to see her stupid face again after that :biggrin:

I know how you feel though, i'm on my 4th instructor and he's the only one who's not a moany dick.
Reply 13

bluebell100 has the correct answer imo. Your dad should be more than willing to take you out for practice.

Original post by bluebell100
Don't worry dear. My driving instructor shouted at me alot so I just stopped taking lessons with her and practiced driving with my dad instead. Its not worth having lessons with her if she's making you that upset.

Correct answer imo.

I have never understood why driving instructors are so important in the UK. The respect they receive in the UK would lead you to believe that they are on the same intellectual level as the professors at your universities. In the US they are about the same level as your local dog catcher and definitely beneath the fire department or police.

I believe most of us in the US get our learners permit at 14 and most have their license at 16. Many may get the full license at 14 if they can show a sufficient need to drive that is acceptable to the department of motor vehicles (such as handicapped parent).
Reply 14
Maybe change your instructor. If you're with a big company like BSM or AA it is very easy to do so. Also her booking you extra lessons might be a good thing.

Personally, I welcomed criticism when I was learning to drive, and wanted to have the negatives than the positives, which helped me to pass first time. However I don't think my instructor ever shouted at me, that is bang out of order. Not professional at all.
Reply 15
You need to get a new instructor. You don't pay her to shout at you and drop your confidence levels to this extent.
I had a similar problem and just found a much nicer instructor and am enjoying my lessons now.
Original post by trooper6
bluebell100 has the correct answer imo. Your dad should be more than willing to take you out for practice.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of asking my dad to take me out as he had to hand in his license for medical reasons. And my mum doesn't have time to take me out as she is working all the time so an instructor is my only option.
Original post by TravelGuru
Maybe change your instructor. If you're with a big company like BSM or AA it is very easy to do so. Also her booking you extra lessons might be a good thing.

Personally, I welcomed criticism when I was learning to drive, and wanted to have the negatives than the positives, which helped me to pass first time. However I don't think my instructor ever shouted at me, that is bang out of order. Not professional at all.

I completely agree, criticism is crucial so you realise where you go wrong but the way she went about it was disgusting and I would be ashamed if that's the best that I could perform in my profession in that situation.
Original post by GraceOfSpades
I'd get a new teacher, not all of them are the same. At the end of the day you're paying them to teach you how to drive, and you won't if all they do is stress you out. And just tell them you don't want to pay for more lessons, especially if she signed you up without really asking. Good luck :smile:

Thankyou :smile: what do you think are the chances of an instructor taking me on in time for my test? I didn't enter my instructors ADI number so it's not just restricted to her. Or am I better off cancelling it and not risking it for the snow?
She sounds like a proper ar*ehole. I know it's already been said a million times but find a new instructor, even for those last few lessons. If you've got any friends who are also learning to drive, ask them if their instructors are good and if so get their number, as that's how I found mine and he's fantastic.

Anyway I hope it all works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest