The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Internet questions

Hi all. :smile:

Just wondering, what is the download speed for those staying in the Uni halls of residence?

Are there any restrictions on the internet, any webpages blocked?

Can you play video games online (i.e. ps3, xbox 360) and can you play MMOs ( i.e World of warcraft)?

Thanks all :smile:
Original post by Zionic

Just wondering, what is the download speed for those staying in the Uni halls of residence?

Are there any restrictions on the internet, any webpages blocked?

Can you play video games online (i.e. ps3, xbox 360) and can you play MMOs ( i.e World of warcraft)?

There are not very many restrictions. The internet is fully open I think but is restricted to only one MAC address (the unique address of your device). This means that games consoles must be added separately by filling out an online form. There is a limited number of consoles allowed and this means that if you do not connect for more than a week then you console is deactivated and you have to fill out the form again. Bit annoying so I recommend just turning it on as often as possible so it connects and resets the timing.

The speed is very high at the university but is restricted to 20mbps per user to stop heavy users taking it all. This occasionally drops but is generally consistent in my room. Apparently the IT dept monitor for P2P usage and will block your access completely if they find you doing this illegally. Not sure if this is the case as I don't download through P2P. Im not sure how they would tell if you change the default ports and limit uploading. There are so many legal p2p systems now like spotify that I cant see them knowing for certain.

Final point for anyone reading, wireless networking is banned in rooms. However, I know it is possible to set one up in your room if you have the facility to change the MAC address of the router. This means you can set the router to the same address as your already registered PC so the system just thinks that you have your fully checked PC plugged in! Of course, I do not have this as I would not want to be so devious!

Generally speaking... internet is great here!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Zionic

Well, I'm playing WoW right now, so I'd say you'll be fine :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Thryn
Well, I'm playing WoW right now, so I'd say you'll be fine :wink:

Woooooooooooo!

Is it laggy or not too bad? :colondollar:
Original post by Alejandro
Woooooooooooo!

Is it laggy or not too bad? :colondollar:

It's absolutely fine, I played tonnes of online games from my room connection.

The Uni wireless connection (for when you're in lectures/library) is also amazing too but they've got more port restrictions on that so, for example, you can run Steam but you can't connect to online games through Steam i.e. I can run Left 4 Dead but can't connect to multiplayer games. Can still connect to multiplayer games from your room though so it's all good.
Reply 5
On Campus PCs you can often get speeds of 80meg UP and 90ish DOWN. Excellent, although not really needed for browsing the interwebs :biggrin:
Reply 6
My ping on uni internet is usually a thing of beauty, honestly
If your lucky you will get a parkwood house near enough to woodys to get the edurome wireless signal. It means you dont have to do without internet if you take your laptop into your kitchen.
The internet is fast and, as others have said, good. =)

Does anyone know how to get onto the campus wifi using a mobile? I.e What the code thing is??

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by BruinsFan91
If your lucky you will get a parkwood house near enough to woodys to get the edurome wireless signal. It means you dont have to do without internet if you take your laptop into your kitchen.

I've turned my PC into a wireless access point, so its fine to use my laptop/phone in the kitchen. Or you could install a router, but I think that's frowned upon by the network admins.
Original post by sugar-plum-fairy
The internet is fast and, as others have said, good. =)

Does anyone know how to get onto the campus wifi using a mobile? I.e What the code thing is??

Thanks

Yeah you need to put in the username and password. The username is your kent email address and the password is your usual IT one. Some phones dont work with the system though as they dont support the type of encryption. Most new smartphones should work. iPhone definitely does!
Original post by Xno-
I've turned my PC into a wireless access point, so its fine to use my laptop/phone in the kitchen. Or you could install a router, but I think that's frowned upon by the network admins.

Ive got one installed and noone has said anything. Estates have been in my room and stuff too and they never mentioned it. But strictly speaking you are not allowed.
Original post by yorkie_in_kent
Ive got one installed and noone has said anything. Estates have been in my room and stuff too and they never mentioned it. But strictly speaking you are not allowed.

That's because the people in Estates are just checking fire safety - that's literally it - they probably don't know the first thing about wireless conversions of the bedroom connection :tongue:
Yeah you need to put in the username and password. The username is your kent email address and the password is your usual IT one. Some phones dont work with the system though as they dont support the type of encryption. Most new smartphones should work. iPhone definitely does!

Thanks, will try this when I get back :smile:
xx
There are not very many restrictions. The internet is fully open I think but is restricted to only one MAC address (the unique address of your device). This means that games consoles must be added separately by filling out an online form. There is a limited number of consoles allowed and this means that if you do not connect for more than a week then you console is deactivated and you have to fill out the form again. Bit annoying so I recommend just turning it on as often as possible so it connects and resets the timing.

You sound knowledgeable on this... So sorry for asking you specifically, I just have no idea!

I got a new netbook at the end of last term (literally on the day I went home for Christmas - so I haven't tried to connect it). It would obviously have a different MAC address to my laptop, which I intend to keep. Does this mean I cannot connect it to the internet on campus and in my room? If I just wanted to connect it wirelessly, but not through the cable in my room, could I do this? Or would I have to fill in forms - or are they games console specific?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by beffnee
You sound knowledgeable on this... So sorry for asking you specifically, I just have no idea!

I got a new netbook at the end of last term (literally on the day I went home for Christmas - so I haven't tried to connect it). It would obviously have a different MAC address to my laptop, which I intend to keep. Does this mean I cannot connect it to the internet on campus and in my room? If I just wanted to connect it wirelessly, but not through the cable in my room, could I do this? Or would I have to fill in forms - or are they games console specific?

No worries! :-)

You should be able to connect it fine. When you first plug it in it might run the security check and as long as it passes this then it will run fine. It is just things that aren't computers (consoles, wireless routers etc) that can cause problems. Your situation should not have any problems at all. :smile:
No worries! :-)

You should be able to connect it fine. When you first plug it in it might run the security check and as long as it passes this then it will run fine. It is just things that aren't computers (consoles, wireless routers etc) that can cause problems. Your situation should not have any problems at all. :smile:

Excellent :smile: Ta for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending